almiz111

Open Question - Moving to North Carolina

I think what makes NC unique to many other states is that you can go to a popular mountain destination one weekend and then a popular beach destination the next. And though these destinations are popular, they are much, much less crowded than anywhere you would go in NJ. 95 and 40 intersect in NC so it's easy to get there as well.

The big attraction to NC for many is the availability of large amounts of cheap property. The further you get from Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte, the cheaper it gets. If you aren't concerned with school districts, there are a lot of small towns that are still close enough to the cities.

There are some trendy areas in NC that aren't as cheap as they used to be, though still like 1/4 of NJ prices. I'd stay out of Durham county. A lot of yanks have flooded Cary, but I'd steer clear of that area as well if the goal is to get away from NJ. Southerners will never understand why yanks will moan about how terrible whatever place they fled was, then try to change NC to be more like where they left.

generally, the western part of the state is largely BFE. I love visiting out there, but couldn't imagine living there permanently. Hard to believe considering how far south the state is but it snows like crazy in the mountains. Again, great for a ski weekend but these small BFE towns aren't plowing or salting the roads.

I personally think the best parts of the state are the towns that are west and northwest of Raleigh. These places are growing big time so don't expect it to still be cheap like 10 years from now without going even further out.

Was going to NC but its becoming too liberal. Decided that TN is a better choice. Better ranking in the 2A category too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, almiz111 said:

Hello Gents and Ladies,

I have the same question about NC that I see for FL. Any experience, advice, warnings, etc?

Also please me  tell if this was already covered elsewhere in the NJGF.

Thanks.

If you are pro-gun and will vote republican please move to Florida.  

• Like 5

NC, SC, FL, TX, PA, AZ.  Too many NJ residents going there and the number of people fleeing grows every year.  I'm not getting anywhere near those states because we're going to ruin them just like we ruined it here.  The best thing North Carolina can do is build a wall and not let anyone from NJ in.

See where NJ escapee's go here:  https://www.forbes.com/special-report/2011/migration.html

• Like 2

NC, SC, FL, TX, PA, AZ.  Too many NJ residents going there and the number of people fleeing grows every year.  I'm not getting anywhere near those states because we're going to ruin them just line we ruined it here.  The best thing North Carolina can do is build a wall and not let anyone from NJ in.
See where NJ escapee's go here:  https://www.forbes.com/special-report/2011/migration.html

Oh I would not be so sure of that, many of us that are fleeing are doing so because of the left wing crap and we will help maintain those states as free states. I know my wife and I will when we escape to Florida next month.

14 minutes ago, PK90 said:

That's why the red states continue to get redder, and the blue states bluer.

Totally disagree.   Blue states stay blue, red states turn purple then blue.  

11 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

This is unfortunately true.  However I implore OP to choose Florida.  I’m in charge of recruiting and I need to make my quota.  

• Like 3

Don't understand the love of Florida. On a whole, FL is a nice state. But what bothers me the most are the constant danger of storms....  Please enlighten me.

14 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Don't understand the love of Florida. On a whole, FL is a nice state. But what bothers me the most are the constant danger of storms....  Please enlighten me.

Are you completely unaware of the storms in NJ over the last 8-10 years?  Did you miss the 4 nor’easters that struck this spring?  

• Like 1

Are you completely unaware of the storms in NJ over the last 8-10 years?  Did you miss the 4 nor’easters that struck this spring?  

Come on Rob..... what type of arrogant response is that?  [emoji848]Of course, but we don't have the tropical storms FL have and surely not as often and devastating. FL gets a helluva lot more storms then NJ.... So my question was genuine and not being sarcastic. I really want to know.

You want proof that I know?

Here is looking out my front door. 14 days without utilities to boot.

9f0c9ef88d4165445e4346f756f5c3fe.jpg

I can only speak of my HOME state. Why does AZ keep passing progun bills every year. In 2013, they removed the permit requirement to carry concealed. The influx of the progun west coasters has made this possible. I can't think of an anti-gun state law that needs to be reversed.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PK90 said:

I can only speak of my HOME state. Why does AZ keep passing progun bills every year. In 2013, they removed the permit requirement to carry concealed. The influx of the progun west coasters has made this possible. I can't think of an anti-gun state law that needs to be reversed.

Tell that to people living in Colorado.  A red state that is now blue threw and threw.  

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Come on Rob..... what type of arrogant response is that?  emoji848.pngOf course, but we don't have the tropical storms FL have and surely not as often and devastating. FL gets a helluva lot more storms then NJ.... So my question was genuine and not being sarcastic. I really want to know.

You want proof that I know?

Here is looking out my front door. 14 days without utilities to boot.

9f0c9ef88d4165445e4346f756f5c3fe.jpg

It depends on where in FL.  Where i live one storm made landfall in 52 years and, 2017, and it knocked the cover off the NID on the side of my house.  I wasn't aiming at being fresh but I think that anywhere you go you're going to be dealing with nature.  Tornado problems in the midwest, eartchquakes in Cali, it's all something.  

36 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

It depends on where in FL.  Where i live one storm made landfall in 52 years and, 2017, and it knocked the cover off the NID on the side of my house.  I wasn't aiming at being fresh but I think that anywhere you go you're going to be dealing with nature.  Tornado problems in the midwest, eartchquakes in Cali, it's all something.  

What city you end up?

As for no matter where. Maybe for the most part. But I've been looking for my kind of paradise for a long time. My preferences are AZ, TN, TX, NC.... TN is most likely where. Not bad as long as you stay east of Nashville. Tornado alley drives through west TN...
AZ, I love.... But not really practical. We need hi speed internet. I also want a nice piece of land but can't have both. TX, same prob with storms.. NC was on the list till I seen the BS going there. Was going to live around Camp Lejeune but that changed because of a deployment problem. TN is nice. Been there many times. Friends and Relatives there. Plus I'm a big country fan. Soooo.....
BTW, who gives a shit about CA. Crack and fall off into the ocean so it can be the largest floating garbage island in the world.

The storms aren't as bad in NC or FL as you think. You know how yanks make fun of the south for not being equipped for snow? Tropical depressions like what devastated NJ (yeah Sandy was cat 2 in NC but a mere depression by the time it hit NJ) is just a lot of rain in NC. Kids are back in school the next day. Buy a good generator if you live on the coast. Bhunted, I'm seeing above ground power lines in your pics. Literally zero of those where I live.

stay out of places like Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yanks) and you'll like the state. Want the eastern TN experience? Move to western NC but stay away from Asheville. Still a great place to visit with all the microbrews and such but the Obamas built a house there and attracted a lot of liberal yanks.

good luck OP! Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. I love this state and will recruit the heck out of any NJ conservatives. Quit sending us your retiring liberals. Even the law enforcement from NJ that moves here are liberal. 

What city you end up?

As for no matter where. Maybe for the most part. But I've been looking for my kind of paradise for a long time. My preferences are AZ, TN, TX, NC.... TN is most likely where. Not bad as long as you stay east of Nashville. Tornado alley drives through west TN...
AZ, I love.... But not really practical. We need hi speed internet. I also want a nice piece of land but can't have both. TX, same prob with storms.. NC was on the list till I seen the BS going there. Was going to live around Camp Lejeune but that changed because of a deployment problem. TN is nice. Been there many times. Friends and Relatives there. Plus I'm a big country fan. Soooo.....
BTW, who gives a shit about CA. Crack and fall off into the ocean so it can be the largest floating garbage island in the world.

I'm in Fernandina Beach, NE corner, FL.  Move there, I am the lead recruiter for 2a people in my area.  I let all NJGF people who move to FL shoot all my good stuff, suppressors, SBRs, SP5K, whatever you like.  

I agree on Cali, I only point it out because the weather is amazing.  Take away the government and CA is quite nice.  They are still good for wine production but not much else that I'd have to do with them.

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

I'm in Fernandina Beach, NE corner, FL.  Move there, I am the lead recruiter for 2a people in my area.  I let all NJGF people who move to FL shoot all my good stuff, suppressors, SBRs, SP5K, whatever you like.  

I agree on Cali, I only point it out because the weather is amazing.  Take away the government and CA is quite nice.  They are still good for wine production but not much else that I'd have to do with them.

Hey Bubba, You're a little over 3hrs away.

Drive up to our 800yd range.

2 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

The bad storms that ride the coast on the way up don't affect you?

The bad storms that ride the coast on the way up don't affect you?

Once since 2004.  So not much.  

2 hours ago, Old School said:

Hey Bubba, You're a little over 3hrs away.

Drive up to our 800yd range.

I'd do that.  

What's with all this talk, concern and worry about storms?
Aren't all of you "tough guys" that own firearms and generators???

Yea and we also own houses that we cannot afford being destroyed every time a storm visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk