almiz111

Open Question - Moving to North Carolina

Was going to NC but its becoming too liberal. Decided that TN is a better choice. Better ranking in the 2A category too. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Heading South Maryland was lost long ago, Virginia was a coin flip away, NC is in danger due to Charlotte, Triangle, and Triad. SC is safe, but it's SC. Georgia has too many Northern Companies moving there but for now they are safe. Florida is in worse danger than Virginia.

TN firearms laws are only getting better, no personal income tax and they are about to eliminate the Hall Tax on interest and dividends. Sales Tax is terrible, but Kentucky is close, and only 6% compared to 9.5% and in some areas of TN well over 10%. Then there is always road trips to the shore for tax free shopping in Delaware.

Florida not only has storms it has too many things that can kill you. Poisonous Snakes, Giant Pythons, Poisonous Spiders, and Alligators. Plus it is too damn hot.

AZ is too damn hot too and even more poisonous creatures. There are poisonous reptiles for Christ Sake in Arizona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Used to have a property in Black Mountain, NC. It seems as everybody wants to go down south haha. Asheville wasn’t far, property was in the mountains and very beautiful - in fact you could see the resevioir from the land. Hear the gunshots and animals moaning and bitching, smelling the the freshest of air. But as mentioned by others, these kind of places are becoming more rare.

Not sure who said it but anywhere you’d go is better than NJ. 

Im looking at FL and TX. More friends in FL, so it’s more than likely going to be the state. 

Right now just looking for a townhouse or something. Not looking for something big. 

3 hours ago, bry@n said:

Not sure who said it but anywhere you’d go is better than NJ. 

Im looking at FL and TX. More friends in FL, so it’s more than likely going to be the state. 

Right now just looking for a townhouse or something. Not looking for something big. 

As stated earlier I’m the 2a recruiter for Florida.  Come here we will welcome you with open arms. :)

59 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Hey all you fleeing people, how do you handle moving a full gunsafe and a sh!t ton of ammo? Will moving companies handle this stuff? I imagine you transport all the firearms in your personal vehicle?

My safe is one of the small, under the bed types (able to fit my AR with a mag and a few handguns), so the moving company had no issue with it. Regarding the guns and ammo, I took those with me in the car. With the guns, ammo, and range bag in the trunk, I had almost no room left back there. Looking back at it, I should have had the moving company haul my car (company was paying), and gotten a one way rental of an SUV or something like that. 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:35 PM, capt14k said:

SC is safe, but it's SC.

We all gotta make sacrifices. ;) 

Was going to take them myself but decided to let movers do them. Reason being, if you get into an accident and your guns and/or ammo ends all over the highway, you’re screwed.
I’ll pack each rifle in blankets as well as hand guns, then stuff them in the safe, as many as possible. The rest will go in locked cabinets.

Sold the floor safes and bought new. Transported guns and ammo myself.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

I may make the floor safe part of the sale if new owner wants it. Even if they don’t have guns, its still a safe for anything.
If I find the right house, I will build a gun/safe/panic room.
Otherwise, new safes.

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

I’ll pack each rifle in blankets as well as hand guns, then stuff them in the safe, as many as possible. The rest will go in locked cabinets.

This is what I was wondering - companies won't have a policy about moving a non-empty gun safe?

11 hours ago, Handyman said:

This is what I was wondering - companies won't have a policy about moving a non-empty gun safe?

Don't think so. Someone mentioned it in another thread that he did it that way. As long as it's locked tight...

39 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Don't think so. Someone mentioned it in another thread that he did it that way. As long as it's locked tight...

I’m pretty sure that you have to disclose the mover that there are firearms being transported.  Some won’t move firearms at all, it depends on who is doing the move.  There is a procedure where they log all make, model and serial numbers at the point of origin and then reconcile that at the point of delivery.   

If it’s non-firearms in the gun safe I’m not sure they’d care.  The movers need to notified of ammunition and they won’t move powders / primers.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Handyman said:

Hey all you fleeing people, how do you handle moving a full gunsafe and a sh!t ton of ammo? Will moving companies handle this stuff? I imagine you transport all the firearms in your personal vehicle?

I made two trips with a U-Haul trailers for the guns, ammo, powder, etc.  I kept my smaller safes and sold my one large safe.  Bought another couple of smaller safes to replace the big one when I got here.  I used a mover for all of my other stuff.  Use the opportunity to get rid of crap before you move.

Wife and I plan to be in NC within the next 12 months.  Most likely the Raleigh area.  In order to get a good job, I have to be within commuting distance of a major metropolitan area.  Not many Architecture firms in the boonies, let alone ones that pay well.

I’m pretty sure that you have to disclose the mover that there are firearms being transported.  Some won’t move firearms at all, it depends on who is doing the move.  There is a procedure where they log all make, model and serial numbers at the point of origin and then reconcile that at the point of delivery.   
If it’s non-firearms in the gun safe I’m not sure they’d care.  The movers need to notified of ammunition and they won’t move powders / primers.   
And if you don't disclose that the safe has firearms? What are the consequences?

9 minutes ago, PK90 said:

And if you don't disclose that the safe has firearms? What are the consequences?

Potentially nothing.  However what if something ends up missing?  What if the truck has an issue and they get searched?   Why wouldn’t you disclose it? 

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

Potentially nothing.  However what if something ends up missing?  What if the truck has an issue and they get searched?   Why wouldn’t you disclose it? 

Missing from a locked safe? The safe is locked. They won't accept firearms if you disclose them, right? So don't tell them. 

12 hours ago, PK90 said:

Missing from a locked safe? The safe is locked. They won't accept firearms if you disclose them, right? So don't tell them. 

What if they have an issue with the police and they impound or ask for safe to opened?   Why not just play it above board?  What if the entire safe goes missing?  I’m sure you’ll get paid the value of the safe.   What if there is damage to the contents after they drop the safe from the lift gate?  My guns are my problem having someone unknowingly transport them seems a bit unfair to them.  It’s not in my nature to take advantage of or put someone else in a awkward situation.