Sign in to follow this  
gfl216

Steel Shot Vs Lead

I found out yesterday that you can't shoot clays at Colliers Mills WMA when I was shooting and a couple of WMA maintenance workers showed up to clean the range. The nearest WMA to me with a clays range is Assunpink. According to the WFG web page Assunpink is steel shot only. It looks like lead is okay at Stafford Forge but Assunpink is at least 10 mi closer.

I've never used steel shot and don't know anything about it so I have a few questions maybe you guys can help with:

1. I usually use #8 or 71/2 shot when shooting clays. When shooting steel how well would shot of the same size work?

2. Being that steel is lighter than lead do you need a shell with a larger charge?

3. I've seen shotguns being advertised as having a barrel that is safe for steel, does it really make a difference?

4. Is there a big difference in price between steel and lead shells and where is the best place to get target loads?

Steel shot is more expensive, yes.  Cheapest I see right now is for Winchester for $5.99/box for #7 steel shot. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winchester-xpert-12-gauge-upland-game-target-loads#repChildCatid=83810

Cabelas doesn't have it any cheaper than $7.99/box.

The charge will be about the same, but the shot will fly faster.