Sign in to follow this  
GramGun79

Window Repair Help!!

Calling all you handy men and window installers. At my townhouse one of the windows will not stay open anymore and i was told i need to replace the spiral balances. I took them out and measured the metal tube. It measures 28.5 inches. No ones sells that size online its either 28" or 29" what do i do??

• Like 1

No can't cut, When you mount it, just lower the screw hole. 1/4" or so, no issue. This is a spiral balance, Right? Philips head screw up top?

Do you have the adjusting tool? Hook looking thing, Used to have a couple dozen. been retired since 06.

23 minutes ago, 1563621 said:

No can't cut, When you mount it, just lower the screw hole. 1/4" or so, no issue. This is a spiral balance, Right? Philips head screw up top?

Do you have the adjusting tool? Hook looking thing, Used to have a couple dozen. been retired since 06.

That is what i was thinking. Will the half inch short make a difference if i left it in its current position? 

54 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I have the same issue with a bunch of windows. There is a broken string hanging out, which I assume is for a counterweight? Expensive repair?

That is a different animal!

3 hours ago, GramGun79 said:

i did...no luck also need to replace the pivot shoes. they are breaking apart. 

Pivot shoes are another problem! Do you know who made the window?

53 minutes ago, 1563621 said:

That is a different animal!

Pivot shoes are another problem! Do you know who made the window?

I cant find any markings on the windows..im sure they are some cheap builders grade window. Townhouse communities do not use the best materiel's.

35 minutes ago, GramGun79 said:

I cant find any markings on the windows..im sure they are some cheap builders grade window. Townhouse communities do not use the best materiel's.

Most likely silverline, used to be in kenilworth then new brunswick. Then Anderson bought them in 2008 or so.

Look on the silverspacer between the glass, might have a name and sometimes a partial date. Like, ine 06.

On 5/11/2018 at 3:35 PM, 1563621 said:

Most likely silverline, used to be in kenilworth then new brunswick. Then Anderson bought them in 2008 or so.

Look on the silverspacer between the glass, might have a name and sometimes a partial date. Like, ine 06.

@1563621 28" worked like a charm! Thank You

• Like 1