EHTMin14

purchasing over the internet and shipping to FFL holder. what's the process?

I'm considering buying a rifle online.  I'll buy it from a dealer in North Carolina and have it shipped to a FFL holder in PA

I've never done a purchase like this before.   I'm a PA resident living in NJ for work.  I'll be bringing the rifle to my home in NJ after purchase (proper transport per NJ rules).

so, how does this transaction exactly work?    Obviously I have to contact a gun shop FFL holder in PA, let them know I'm having the rifle sent to them.   Then I'd have to pay them a fee?  What is the typical fee or does it vary by gun shop?

What coordination do I need to do between the seller and the PA gun shop?  or does the PA gun shop handle it all?

Do I need to fill out any paperwork when picking up the rifle - I guess per PA regulations ?

thanks.

You need to contact the ffl so arrangements can be made to ship the gun. Fees vary.  $25 is a reasonable transfer fee.  Some ffls have high transfer fees as they don't want to be bothered with that.  They rather have you purchase the gun from them.

I'm considering buying a rifle online.  I'll buy it from a dealer in North Carolina and have it shipped to a FFL holder in PA I've never done a purchase like this before.   I'm a PA resident living in NJ for work.  I'll be bringing the rifle to my home in NJ after purchase (proper transport per NJ rules).

so, how does this transaction exactly work?    Obviously I have to contact a gun shop FFL holder in PA, let them know I'm having the rifle sent to them.   Then I'd have to pay them a fee?  What is the typical fee or does it vary by gun shop?

What coordination do I need to do between the seller and the PA gun shop?  or does the PA gun shop handle it all?

Do I need to fill out any paperwork when picking up the rifle - I guess per PA regulations ?

thanks.

I use Claytons for my PA transfers $20. Just like buying a rifle in NJ. You need to fill out 4473.  They run PICS you pass and you take it home.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Some websites have agreement with FFL's to keep their info stored.  In that case you can put in your zip code and they will show which FFLs they have info for near you.  You select them, the gun ships, and you get a phone call when it arrives.

If you want it shipped to a specific FFL who does not have their info already on file with the store/website you are buying from, you should check with that FFL first to ensure that they will accept a transfer from the store or website you are buying from before you make the purchase.  It is not mandatory that they provide their info to the shipper and accept the transfer so I always check ahead of time as a courtesy.  I just call and say "hi, I'm looking to buy XYZ from somesite.com and I wanted to know if you would accept the transfer."  They say yes, they tell you their transfer fee and tell you to call back with the order or invoice number once you make the purchase online and have an invoice or order number.   You call them back with that number, then they call the place you buy from and give their FFL number to go with the invoice which allows the gun to ship to them. 

The rifle ships and when it arrives, you'll be called to come in to the store to do all the same paperwork, NICS check etc as you would do as if buying a gun off the store shelf.