Howard

Utah CCW permit renewal

I have to say I am very impressed with the renewal process for Utah.  Back when I got the permit, almost 5 years ago, the instructor here in NJ told us all to mark the date in our calendars on our phones so that we could arrange to renew as they did not send out any notice.  I believe they said we would have to resubmit prints and a picture.  Well the reminder  popped up on my phone a couple of days ago, and I was debating what to do.  Since I am moving to Florida soon I was tempted to just let it expire and be done with it.  Well I got a letter in the mail from the Utah Department of Public Safety today reminding me that it was going to expire in a little over a month and telling me exactly what to do to renew.  I could even do it over the internet (which I did) but it was going to cost me $0.75 extra for the processing of the $15 fee - like that is an issue.  It also said on July 1 the fee will increase to $20 for residents and $25 for non-residents.  The entire process took me about five minutes to do online, including using my phone to include a new picture of myself.  They said I should have the new one in 2-4 weeks.

My Utah permit is coming up for renewal in August, so I'm curious how you submitted the picture.
Can I just take an appropriately sized digital pic and send it to them?
Thanks.

On the web application there is a section for you to upload a Jpg photo and then you crop it on the web. Super easy.

You might want to renew early if you can to save $10 since it goes up July 1st.

14 hours ago, GrumpyOldRetiree said:

My Utah permit is coming up for renewal in August, so I'm curious how you submitted the picture.

Can I just take an appropriately sized digital pic and send it to them?

Thanks.

I had an extra passport photo from Walgreen's (for another ccw) so I scanned it and uploaded the jpg as Howard mentioned. Very easy.

I had an extra passport photo from Walgreen's (for another ccw) so I scanned it and uploaded the jpg as Howard mentioned. Very easy.

Interesting as they explicitly say not to use the photo on your passport and not to use the photo from you existing Utah permit.

Interesting as they explicitly say not to use the photo on your passport and not to use the photo from you existing Utah permit.

It isn't the photo on his passport just a passport photo he had printed. I did the same for my initial but mailed it in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Howard said:

I think they don't want you to make a copy from your actual passport. Their website states:

Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality

• Like 1

In January, I received a letter from the State of Utah dated Jan 19th, 2020  informing me that my permit would be expiring in mid-April..

I submitted my renewal ($20) via their online portal on Feb 12th.  Uploaded a scan of recent passport photo I had around.  They issued my new permit on Feb 19th, one week later.  Was postmarked Feb 20th and arrived today.

What a difference a State makes!

p.s. I encountered an issue with their web pages appearing properly.  Called up and they stated there was a recent known issue with the Chrome browser.  So I used the Microsoft Edge browser(Windows 10) instead and it was fine.  Also note that if your existing permit expires, you have one year to submit the renewal, albeat will cost you an extra $7.50 late fee.

Not a renewal but this past summer I left my wallet on my fender and drove away, came back and thought I found everything. About a week later I get a call from the Utah CCW permit office and someone found my Utah permit and mailed it back to Utah. I told them I had moved and forgot to update my address. So she mailed my permit back to me with the paperwork to change my address. She even commented that I was smart for moving out of NJ lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1