Malice4you

Accurate short stock .22 rifle?

This is always what happens with these threads... a dizzying flood of advice... pointing in at least 5 different directions, lol! But, this is still a good thing, and I'm so glad Malice started the thread. Because at least now I'm compiling a list of what rifles I really need to try before any final decisions are made.

I can also tell that much of this simply comes down to personal preference. (Or, should I say love? Because what W2MC described sounds like a full-fledged love affair! I welled up reading it. ;))

4 hours ago, capt14k said:

10/22 is a great little rifle but bolt is more accurate and most Milsurps are bolt rifles. Buy a bolt first, then a 10/22. Hopefully you like the bolt rifle so much you then buy a Mauser, Enfield, or Finnish Mosin. Once you see and feel the history in your hand you're likely to think of plastic black rifles the way I do.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I understand your like of milsurps and have have my share of Mausers, Enfields, Mosins, K31s, and 03s. You're not mentioning that one of the things that helped us win WW2 was the fact we were the only country that had a semiauto battle rifle for general issue to the troops.  The fact is most ARs are more accurate out of the box are than most bolt action milsurps.

I understand your like of milsurps and have have my share of Mausers, Enfields, Mosins, K31s, and 03s. You're not mentioning that one of the things that helped us win WW2 was the fact we were the only country that had a semiauto battle rifle for general issue to the troops.  The fact is most ARs are more accurate out of the box are than most bolt action milsurps.

This is true, but it's more challenging to ring the gong at 300 yds with iron sights and a 75-100 year old rifle.

Yes there are plenty of Garands out there. There is also Wartime SVT-38, SVT-40, G41, and G/K43. Only the SVT-40 was issued in any numbers and still nothing compared to the Garand and M1 Carbine. Post war there is a whole lot more semi-auto choices. However the vast majority are bolt action. Especially the Affordable ones.

• Like 1

These are pretty accurate, and adjustable for most shooters

6205708.jpg?938

That is one heck of a rifle. For just a tad less (1/3 of the price) you can get one close to it. Valmet Finnish Lion.

7271041e3d8ef48578af3ab2b2713744.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

In the true tradition of New Jerseyness.  This thread went from info about a simple first 22lr rifle to WW2 milsurp and $1.200.00 rifles. 

Peel, just get yourself a Cricket.   or ... I dunno, a 50 BMG semi auto Barrett with a $2,500.00 Swaravski scope too... whatever. Just as absurd.

Seriously.  Keep it simple.

A basic (not necessarily cheap or inaccurate, just BASIC) 22lr bolt action rifle is ideal for learning how to shoot a rifle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

In the true tradition of New Jerseyness.  This thread went from info about a simple first 22lr rifle to WW2 milsurp and $1.200.00 rifles. 

Peel, just get yourself a Cricket.   or ... I dunno, a 50 BMG semi auto Barrett with a $2,500.00 Swaravski scope too... whatever. Just as absurd.

Seriously.  Keep it simple.

A basic (not necessarily cheap or inaccurate, just BASIC) 22lr bolt action rifle is ideal for learning how to shoot a rifle.

LMAO!! That's ok. I kind of enjoy the meandering nature of these threads. I totally appreciate that everyone's got their "thing". I know I can count on Griz to list affordable battle-tested options, High Exposure will tend to lean towards a SWAT-esque option, Capt14K will list some milsurp and somewhat esoteric collectibles... it's all good! :D

I appreciate all the input, will consider all suggestions, add to my growing list of options, figure out what I want to spend, test-drive some, and ultimately make a choice that suits me. I'm not one to rush a purchase so I find the discussion informative... and entertaining! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Now now Peel. I advised you to get nice Ruger 10/22 with a heavy barrel and a youth stock, and a decent piece of glass for it first. A weapon of steel and wood. Not a single bit of polymer or Velcro to been seen. Harrumph!

I also seem to recall you initially said: "Peel! Get an AR-15 in .22!! Yeah!!" ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I also seem to recall you initially said: "Peel! Get an AR-15 in .22!! Yeah!!" ;)

Ok. This is fair. But I did say 10/22 first and that everyone should have one.

I was pushing the 15-22 on Z and Mrs Z. 

I’m a work in progress :p 

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Don't forget the load bearing chest rig, basically lingerie for men, and a ballistic helmet with night vision goggles.

Don’t you say an unkind work about my NODs. :rofl: 

I’ll be seein’ you tonight. It’s cool, you don’t have to leave a light on.

;) 

• Like 3

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

Wow, this thread is getting ugly fast...! LOL.

Well, what did you expect.  it's called thread drift.  It's 2300hrs, The OP's Q has been answered, more or less, the "asking for a friend" has been figured out and I'm bored and full of Knob Creek water.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

$750... new or used?

vs a $250 10/22...

They're both worth it.   Very different guns, no basis for comparing them to each other.

35 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Well, what did you expect.  it's called thread drift.  It's 2300hrs, The OP's Q has been answered, more or less, the "asking for a friend" has been figured out and I'm bored and full of Knob Creek water.

I have got a bottle of Knob Creek Smoked Maple, every time I pour a glass I go looking for bacon and waffles or pancakes, yum! Pardon me, I think I'll go pour 2 fingers and fire up the stove. 

$750... new or used?
vs a $250 10/22...

Used. They were made from 1930-79 with different design changes and model designations. If you found a new one it would probably be worth $2k.

• Like 1

Check out Rim fire Central.  Forum dedicated to rim fire only (no political discussion). 

They seem to favor the CZs from the little browsing I've done there.

The great thing about bolt action is it really makes you slow down.  Makes you think about and concentrate on all your actions.

If you want to build something, go semi and get the most inexpensive 10/22 you can find.  You can customize the back out of them! All types of after market stocks, triggers, barrels, etc.  

Good luck!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

4633595222_30f90dc385.jpg

• Like 2

I've heard nothing but good things about the CZ rimfires. For the price, I don't think you can get a better quality rimfire. Don't get into the whole switchbarrel thing, its an added cost the will very rarely if ever be needed.

Don't let others dissuade you from getting a bolt gun for your first .22. Contrary to popular belief, a Mark series and a 10/22 are not the end-all be-all for rimfires. I bought a Kimber 82 Hunter many years ago, and do not wish for a semi ever. I would say that it would be the ideal rifle for you, but they are not made anymore. The CZ is very close.

• Like 1

I've heard nothing but good things about the CZ rimfires. For the price, I don't think you can get a better quality rimfire. Don't get into the whole switchbarrel thing, its an added cost the will very rarely if ever be needed.

Don't let others dissuade you from getting a bolt gun for your first .22. Contrary to popular belief, a Mark series and a 10/22 are not the end-all be-all for rimfires. I bought a Kimber 82 Hunter many years ago, and do not wish for a semi ever. I would say that it would be the ideal rifle for you, but they are not made anymore. The CZ is very close.

I agree get a bolt first. CZ is a good choice as well. I of course am partial to the older better made rifles. So I'm sticking with Remington Model 34 (NRA if you want more accuracy) for under $500 and under $1,000 Valmet Finnish Lion .22.

If you are looking to go vintage, I have what it think is a 1930's vintage Winchester 52 with an old scope on it. It is a bolt action gun, with a small magazine. 

I shot it once, and it is pretty accurate.

• Like 1

Here is a video put out by sootch00 I came across today. Interesting Beretta rifle that is C&R eligible. It's a semi auto and bolt action in one package. A neat rifle to collect and use as a trainer, but it has quite a few cons that is talked about in the video. Video is 11:15 mins long.

Regards,

TokenEntry

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 7:33 PM, Mrs. Peel said:
... and I stumbled across that CZ 455 and was already wondering about it (it's a "switch-barrel" rifle that comes with a barrel in .22lr and another barrel in .17hmr). Who would have thunk it? Clever! There's also the Sako Quad (4 barrels and an easier switching mechanism, but def'ly out of my budget at 1000s). So, if anyone has a first-hand opinion of the CZ 455, I'd love to hear it. And yes, so far, in rifles I've tried semi-autos, lever action and bolt action... and I am DEFINITELY gravitating towards a bolt action rifle... (what was that sound?... I think it was some of my AR-15 friends stifling a sob... sorry, guys!) 

I've had the CZ 455 Precision Trainer for about 3 months now and put at least 500+ round through it. It's easily one of the most accurate .22LRs that I've owned. The only modification that I feel needs to be done at this point is to replace the trigger spring with a YoDave kit to lighten it up just a tiny bit (and find some lower rings to get the scope a little closer to the barrel).  My only "complaint" would be the magazines which are a little expensive and feel kind of flimsy unlike some other .22LR mags that I've used. 

The same barreled action is available in the CZ Tacticool model, the only difference being that the stock is laminate wood instead of fiberglass.

Edit: Added a picture of a 5 round group at 50 yards using Federal Target Ammo. I’ll blame myself for the flyer at the top right

52d1d6419972670964f9ac1df959b7cb.jpg

b84f6e3c3d4d17b4f18f9b76aa4fb8c8.jpg

• Like 3