james.alan.18041

Rifle Hunting Limitations in NJ

I've been here less than a year and I think I finally have a good understanding of what's legal regarding hunting in NJ. I want to deer hunt but I also want to use a centerfire rifle. So it appears NJ is out of the question. Do any of you hunt PA with an out of state license? And any success stories for public land fairly close to PA/NJ border?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't hunted in PA for years, but IIRC, the southeast corner of the state is a shotgun only zone. You have to hunt outside that zone in order to use a centerfire rifle. Not sure how that impacts your desire to hunt with a rifle as far as distance necessary to travel to do so. Things may have changed - I'd check the PGC website.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I haven't hunted in PA for years, but IIRC, the southeast corner of the state is a shotgun only zone. You have to hunt outside that zone in order to use a centerfire rifle. Not sure how that impacts your desire to hunt with a rifle as far as distance necessary to travel to do so. Things may have changed - I'd check the PGC website.
Adios,
Pizza Bob

Good info, thank you!

You can hunt coyotes and fox along with other small game with certain restrictions 

centerfire or rimefire under 25 caliber 

With muzzleloader you can hunt big game or small game depending on season. 

• Like 1

You can hunt coyotes and fox along with other small game with certain restrictions 
centerfire or rimefire under 25 caliber 
With muzzleloader you can hunt big game or small game depending on season. 

I read that, but my understanding is there is a "special" permit for coyote/fox season. And, you need a "rifle permit"…I'm not even sure what that means.

I'm military and NJ law states that I can bring my guns (as long as NJ legal) into the state once I establish residency. Which I did. But it also says registration of those weapons is voluntary. And I have zero intention of registering them. So, even if I did pursue critters with a rifle, I'm not sure how I would get a rifle permit for rifles I don't have registered in the state. Or, is that permit irrelevant to the registration of your rifle?

The laws in this state are so wonky! [emoji848]

13 minutes ago, james.alan.18041 said:

I read that, but my understanding is there is a "special" permit for coyote/fox season. And, you need a "rifle permit"…I'm not even sure what that means.

I'm military and NJ law states that I can bring my guns (as long as NJ legal) into the state once I establish residency. Which I did. But it also says registration of those weapons is voluntary. And I have zero intention of registering them. So, even if I did pursue critters with a rifle, I'm not sure how I would get a rifle permit for rifles I don't have registered in the state. Or, is that permit irrelevant to the registration of your rifle?

The laws in this state are so wonky! emoji848.png

Hi James- as long as you take the rifle portion of the hunter's safety course, and I believe it is now given with the shotgun section, you will be able to obtain a rifle permit when you purchase your license.

• Like 1

If you already have a hunting licence from another state which states you can hunt with both shotgun and rifle, you can renew your licence in Nj they will issue you a CID number for shotgun, bow and rifle along with trapping, but you have to buy the rifle, bow and trapping permits  in addition. Rifle permit is valid from June to June   

I’m  not sure about semi rifles in Nj for hunting, but I know you don’t have to disclose or register your rifle for licence. 

• Like 2

If you already have a hunting licence from another state which states you can hunt with both shotgun and rifle, you can renew your licence in Nj they will issue you a CID number for shotgun, bow and rifle along with trapping, but you have to buy the rifle, bow and trapping permits  in addition. Rifle permit is valid from June to June   
I’m  not sure about semi rifles in Nj for hunting, but I know you don’t have to disclose or register your rifle for licence. 

Thanks! Based on what I could find, semi rifles are okay (as long as .25 caliber and under) and the magazines do not need to be permanently affixed. So, my AR would be okay…I think. However, you cannot have more than three rounds in your mag. That's what I've been able to come up with so far. [emoji3]

18 minutes ago, james.alan.18041 said:

Thanks! Based on what I could find, semi rifles are okay (as long as .25 caliber and under) and the magazines do not need to be permanently affixed. So, my AR would be okay…I think. However, you cannot have more than three rounds in your mag. That's what I've been able to come up with so far. emoji3.png

That is correct, you also have to use bullets that are HP/soft-point and weigh less than 80 grains.

The rifle permit that you are asking about has nothing to do with firearms laws; It is a hunting permit. Basically just an added expense if you already have a rifle hunting license from another state.

Keep in mind that semi-auto rifles cannot be used for PA  big game hunting.

Also keep in mind; while PA is a great state to hunt in, you'd be hard pressed to find a state that has a greater potential for quantitative success than NJ.

• Like 1

Just now, james.alan.18041 said:

So, even if I did pursue critters with a rifle, I'm not sure how I would get a rifle permit for rifles I don't have registered in the state. Or, is that permit irrelevant to the registration of your rifle?

I think this has been answered but to be clear....  The rifle permit is not to own or carry a rifle, it is a FG&W permit to hunt with a rifle.  It is an add on to the firearms hunting license, which up until a couple years ago, was shotgun only.

You guys have been VERY helpful, greatly appreciated! I feel a little better about understanding things now. I didn't realize there was a bullet weight limitation. So, that's good to know as well.

And yeah, I read semi-autos were a no go for deer in PA. Planned on using a Rem 700 .30-06 and as far as NJ is concerned, I was just curious about getting my 22NOSLER broke in on some coyotes and woodchucks.

Curious about PA rifle hunting regulations. Is a scope required or can you use a rifle with iron sights?

That's a good question and I don't know the answer. First thoughts would be that iron sights are okay. I mean, that's the configuration for a baseline 30/30 [emoji848]

Iron sights are fine for PA.

Also, PA used to have a temporary out of state license. As I said, it has been many years since I hunted in PA, but you used to be able to get a license that was good for 5 days (IIRC) for varmints and small game. It was at a reasonable rate. The annual out of state license - which you would need for deer and bear is more expensive. Again, this is all old info and you need to go to the PGC site to validate it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Where will you be living in NJ? That will kind of determine where you will be hunting in PA

PA firearms deer hunting season is VERY short.  Like 1-2 weeks.  No hunting on Sundays.  Bolt & lever action only.  No semi-auto.

If you take up bow or.crossbow you have a much longer season in PA.  NJ actually has one of the longest deer seasons.  Get a how or crossbow and in NJ you can hunt A LOT of places.  And deer are just about everywhere in NJ.

Hunterdon Deer Butcher in Pittstown does a great job once you get one.

Thank you.for your service & happy hunting!

• Like 2

Where will you be living in NJ? That will kind of determine where you will be hunting in PA
PA firearms deer hunting season is VERY short.  Like 1-2 weeks.  No hunting on Sundays.  Bolt & lever action only.  No semi-auto.
If you take up bow or.crossbow you have a much longer season in PA.  NJ actually has one of the longest deer seasons.  Get a how or crossbow and in NJ you can hunt A LOT of places.  And deer are just about everywhere in NJ.

I'll keep all that in mind, thank you! I'm at joint base McGuire Dix Lakehurst. And even though NJ has a lengthy season, archery doesn't interest me. Still, just want to know what my options are.

The rifle permit has been around since 1976, the same year they implemented a muzzleloader season for deer AND the same year the state implemented a winter bow season for deer. 

Semi-automatic rifles became legal in PA for the 2017-2018 season, but for small game only. The old-timers in PA refuse to allow them for black bear & deer. 

On 5/13/2018 at 1:25 PM, rtquig said:

Do you have to take the hunting test again if you currently have a shotgun license and now want to get the rifle license?

I guess the rifle and shotgun courses use to be two separate courses, but now it is combined into 1 firearms course.  If you used to have just the shotgun course and you now want to get the rifle permit, you would have to take the current course.  Here is the link where I got that.  I just did the course back in April.  

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunted.htm

On 5/13/2018 at 1:15 PM, gleninjersey said:

+1 for hunterdon deer butcher! I grew up with Jimmy he is very good people

18 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

I guess the rifle and shotgun courses use to be two separate courses, but now it is combined into 1 firearms course.  If you used to have just the shotgun course and you now want to get the rifle permit, you would have to take the current course.  Here is the link where I got that.  I just did the course back in April.  

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunted.htm

Thanks, that was very helpful. 

No problem.  Another good resource is the fish and game digest.  This link will bring you to the 2017-2018 version.  I don't think 2018-19 is out yet for hunting/trapping but for fishing it looks like its available:  http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/dighnt.htm   

Something else to be aware of is the different deer zones and the regulation sets that apply to each zone (all found in the digest).  Each has its own specific rules, bag limits, etc.  For example, a zone near me has a rule that you cannot take an antlered deer that has less than 3 spikes on at least 1 side of the rack. 

This system of zones with individual rules are to help management of the deer populations in different areas across the state and are not intended to be confusing but it doesn't always take long to get confused.

No problem.  Another good resource is the fish and game digest.  This link will bring you to the 2017-2018 version.  I don't think 2018-19 is out yet for hunting/trapping but for fishing it looks like its available:  http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/dighnt.htm   
Something else to be aware of is the different deer zones and the regulation sets that apply to each zone (all found in the digest).  Each has its own specific rules, bag limits, etc.  For example, a zone near me has a rule that you cannot take an antlered deer that has less than 3 spikes on at least 1 side of the rack. 
This system of zones with individual rules are to help management of the deer populations in different areas across the state and are not intended to be confusing but it doesn't always take long to get confused.

Very helpful information, thank you!