EWC88

Height of lawn

@EWC88. Jus to clarify.. remove the side discharge off the mower for mulching.. um, don’t ask me when I learned that..

49 minutes ago, SuRrEaLNJ said:

you people water your lawns, man when i do that it grows... then i gotta cut it

Same issue with fertilizer also? Lol

1 hour ago, SuRrEaLNJ said:

you people water your lawns, man when i do that it grows... then i gotta cut it

What can I tell you, the dog tells me he loves the feel of that lush, green grass on his butt when he's taking a dump...

I'm just here to serve.

On 5/15/2018 at 2:14 PM, Zeke said:

@EWC88. Jus to clarify.. remove the side discharge off the mower for mulching.. um, don’t ask me when I learned that..

Same issue with fertilizer also? Lol

yup, thats why i dont do that either. i keep the house presentable, but the dog rips tracks in it, and the kids are startin to hobble around outside so its a matter of time before they tear it up, as they should

i put a little more time into the front then the back, but either way, long, brown or whatever im the only one that cares, or has to deal with it

On 5/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, Sniper22 said:

What can I tell you, the dog tells me he loves the feel of that lush, green grass on his butt when he's taking a dump...

I'm just here to serve.

On 5/15/2018 at 3:25 PM, Handyman said:

Don't we all?

i prefer my squatty potty, actually

The type of grass you have will also determine what height you should be mowing.  Different lawns require different heights for mowing.

Genereally most lawns in Central NJ are some type of fescue or fescue mix.  I have my mower at the 2nd to highest setting which is 3 inches I believe.

You definetly want to have a sharp balde as well.  Start the season with a freshly sharpened blade.  Should probably have it resharpened about halfway through.  Dull blades aren't cutting the grass as much as pulling it.  As other said, dull blades invite disease, infections, etc.

Also, cut at differnt patterns and angles.  Don't cut in the same direction every time.

And as others said, dont' bag.  The clipping are mostly nitrogen and water.  They decompose rather quickly and help nurish your lawn.

Scott's used to have a forum.  I haven't looked at it in quite some time.  There are also YouTube videos that will help educate you on lawn care / maintenance.

I'm definetly going to have to cut twice this weekend.  Didnt' get to it last weekend and it's been raining almost all week!  

Also, I like Lesco lawn products.  IMHO Scotts is overpriced and didn't seem to work that well for me.  

Since I managed athletic fields in a previous life, I gave some advice earlier.  To be fair, my lawn is 1-1/2 acres and it is made up of several varieties of grass and lots of other green growing stuff that isn't grass. I'll spot kill broadleaf weeds when they start to take over the grass and I'll seed areas if they need it but I don't have irrigation so that really limits how great a lawn can look. And, to be frank, I don't really get the need to have a perfectly manicured lawn.  Mostly it just gets mowed unless some area is really getting into bad shape.

21 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

The type of grass you have will also determine what height you should be mowing.  Different lawns require different heights for mowing.

Genereally most lawns in Central NJ are some type of fescue or fescue mix.  I have my mower at the 2nd to highest setting which is 3 inches I believe.

You definetly want to have a sharp balde as well.  Start the season with a freshly sharpened blade.  Should probably have it resharpened about halfway through.  Dull blades aren't cutting the grass as much as pulling it.  As other said, dull blades invite disease, infections, etc.

Also, cut at differnt patterns and angles.  Don't cut in the same direction every time.

And as others said, dont' bag.  The clipping are mostly nitrogen and water.  They decompose rather quickly and help nurish your lawn.

Scott's used to have a forum.  I haven't looked at it in quite some time.  There are also YouTube videos that will help educate you on lawn care / maintenance.

I'm definetly going to have to cut twice this weekend.  Didnt' get to it last weekend and it's been raining almost all week!  

Also, I like Lesco lawn products.  IMHO Scotts is overpriced and didn't seem to work that well for me.  

Ohhh, Glen! Cutting at different angles and patterns? Lawn care forums? and YouTube videos? The thing that's growing the fastest here is... my concern... for you, my friend!  :facepalm:  This has GOT to be a man thing... I've NEVER in my life discussed lawn maintenance with any of my women friends, not even the single homeowner ones. It's just not on our radar. I guess we outsource it. When I bought my house I bought a very cute little mower, but the joy faded quickly once temps soared... screw that! Nnow I hire the neighbor kid and I never think about the lawn anymore. I prefer my M.O. :D

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

Ohhh, Glen! Cutting at different angles and patterns? Lawn care forums? and YouTube videos? The thing that's growing the fastest here is... my concern... for you, my friend!  :facepalm:  This has GOT to be a man thing... I've NEVER in my life discussed lawn maintenance with any of my women friends, not even the single homeowner ones. It's just not on our radar. I guess we outsource it. When I bought my house I bought a very cute little mower, but the joy faded quickly once temps soared... screw that! Nnow I hire the neighbor kid and I never think about the lawn anymore. I prefer my M.O. :D

How dare you!  <accusing glaring stare> A man pours out his heart about caring for and nurturing a living thing, making the world a more beautiful and orderly place, and you step all over his feelings.  And women wonder why men don't open up to them.  sheesh....

Lawn care is an art and a science, it is an expression of one's deep love of nature and for pride in ownership they have.  It's a man's way of saying, "hey world, look at this beautiful lawn, I did this, yes, me.  I took the time to create hundreds of thousands of beautiful little lives and care for them like a man.".

This is nothing less than stepping on his first amendment right to express himself.  It's like walking into starfucks wearing a MAGA hat.  All the hate and judgement against traditional values.  I mean, what attack must we men endure next?  Will we be mocked for perfectly trimmed hedges or making a lovely rock garden?

• Like 3

Just now, gleninjersey said:

Lol.  Thanks Scorpio.  At least SOMEBODY here understands.  :)

Any time brother.  We fellas got to stick together.  You can join me for a beer at the clubhouse later, after <cough> umm.after Darla's done with me pushing her on the swing..

WomanHatersClubLittleRascals.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Well there's a que.  In the old days before internet dating one would go to the supermarket to try to meet someone.  Now prehaps a woman can go on a lawn forum to meet a guy.  Who knows?

• Like 1

Wow. This all took an ugly turn. And I have no one to blame but myself! :facepalm:

@gleninjersey, @Scorpio64 - I am chagrined. I offer my apologies. I misunderstood, nay... I SPURNED the nurturing lawn care element of bro code. It will not happen again.

@High Exposure - point taken. :blush:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, siderman said:

Cute little lawnmower? :think:  does it blow bubbles when you push it?                                  

Almost as bad... it's (gasp!) battery-operated!  Now I've, no doubt, TOTALLY gone and insulted the manly lawn care bro code... again! Because I'm pretty sure that deafening, gas-powered mowers are the agreed-upon gold standard.

(My cute mower makes a soft little noise... like a purring kitten. And it has a hood (just like a car hood!) that lifts up and the tools store neatly underneath it. Bubbles optional. It's... totes adorbs!)  https://www.neutonpower.com/

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

Wow.... I think it's time for me to quit this thread! :facepalm: 

(Pervs!)

Oh come on Peel.  You are in a safe space among friends.  If we didn't like you, we wouldn't harass you nearly as much.  Go grab your therapy handgun and just dry fire for a while....  DRY fire..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Almost as bad... it's (gasp!) battery-operated!  Now I've, no doubt, TOTALLY gone and insulted the manly lawn care bro code... again! Because I'm pretty sure that deafening, gas-powered mowers are the agreed-upon gold standard.

(My cute mower makes a soft little noise... like a purring kitten. And it has a hood (just like a car hood!) that lifts up and the tools store neatly underneath it. Bubbles optional. It's... totes adorbs!)  https://www.neutonpower.com/

<<face palm 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Now I hire the neighbor kid

I drove by her house and saw the kid outside. I snapped a quick picture of him at work:

76be299a09fc582a9484dafb6316ef2e.jpg

5 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I never think about the lawn anymore.

I wonder why????

• Like 2