EWC88

Height of lawn

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Wow. This all took an ugly turn. And I have no one to blame but myself! :facepalm:

@gleninjersey, @Scorpio64 - I am chagrined. I offer my apologies. I misunderstood, nay... I SPURNED the nurturing lawn care element of bro code. It will not happen again.

@High Exposure - point taken. :blush:

No worries Peel.  Lawn care most definetly seems to be a guy thing.  Anyone can mow a lawn, but it taks a man to nuture and cultivate a great one!  :)

Does the electric lawn mover run on a 9 volt or double Ds?

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Do I REALLY need to go into the ‘battery operated’, ‘cute’, ‘purring noise’ angle of this whole thing ?

Peel, you of all people should know better...

The drift of this entire thread is going in a direction I never saw coming and has taken on a very different vibe.....  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

I drove by her house and saw the kid outside. I snapped a quick picture of him at work:

76be299a09fc582a9484dafb6316ef2e.jpg

I wonder why????

The lawn isn’t what she hires the neighborhood boy for....

7 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

The drift of this entire thread is going in a direction I never say coming and has taken on a very different vibe.....  

Lol@vibe!!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

I drove by her house and saw the kid outside. I snapped a quick picture of him at work:

76be299a09fc582a9484dafb6316ef2e.jpg

I wonder why????

y'all being pervs but what I see is a young man with a solid work ethic and a potential foundation of our country.  now all mrs. peel has to do is get him into guns. :D  then again he might already be? (phrasing)

And I've been seriously thinking about an electric lawn mower (and various electric garden tools in general) as i'm getting really tired of dealing with petrol based fuels and their cans. I've had 3 of the Spectre cans split now and start weeping fuel.  Plus battery technology seems to have reached a point where it'll run long enough to do my .54 acre property, and I'll feel better about forcing my kid into child labor to do it (less chance of him doing something really stupid.)

Just now, sota said:

And I've been seriously thinking about an electric lawn mower (and various electric garden tools in general) as i'm getting really tired of dealing with petrol based fuels and their cans. I've had 3 of the Spectre cans split now and start weeping fuel.  Plus battery technology seems to have reached a point where it'll run long enough to do my .54 acre property, and I'll feel better about forcing my kid into child labor to do it (less chance of him doing something really stupid.)

Dunno about lawn mowers, but a couple weeks ago I bought an Echo 58v trimmer for my own home use.  We use Husky and Red Max on the job.  The Echo  cordless trimmer is just as powerful as a pro gas powered.  The only problem is the charge only lasts a little over a 1/2hr on high and just a hair less than an hour on low under pro use conditions.  On both high and low, the trimmer head speed  is variable.  Those figures are based on continuous use trimming thick weeds, grass and english ivy.  I took it to work one day just to see what it's limits were.  I was very impressed.

For the average homeowner, it has more than enough  power (torque) and the battery will last long enough to handle trimming curbs, sidewalks, fence line, trees and beds on up to a one acre property.

The problem with battery operated lawn equipment has never been power, it's battery life.  Echo offers an extended capacity (8 Ah) Lithium battery but that sucker costs $200.

9 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Almost as bad... it's (gasp!) battery-operated!  Now I've, no doubt, TOTALLY gone and insulted the manly lawn care bro code... again! Because I'm pretty sure that deafening, gas-powered mowers are the agreed-upon gold standard.

(My cute mower makes a soft little noise... like a purring kitten. And it has a hood (just like a car hood!) that lifts up and the tools store neatly underneath it. Bubbles optional. It's... totes adorbs!)  https://www.neutonpower.com/

Lawn Ranger no like electric, KimoPeelsee.  :)

the Ego units seem to garner good reviews everywhere I look, and their batteries seem to last a lot longer compared to other marques with similar capacity ratings (volt and Ah.)  they're who i'll probably buy stuff from.

Early in the season I cut about 3.5” because the lawn is growing quickly. I have cut my lawn 4-5 times already. My lawn is very green also. Been green for two months. 

Right now I’m on 4” and by the middle of June I will be at 4.5”. This pic is from a few weeks ago  couple of patches here and there I need to work on from the winter but overall I’m okay  

5087A855-7918-46E9-9B76-ED3E00CB7811.jpeg

On 5/17/2018 at 9:18 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Almost as bad... it's (gasp!) battery-operated!  Now I've, no doubt, TOTALLY gone and insulted the manly lawn care bro code... again! Because I'm pretty sure that deafening, gas-powered mowers are the agreed-upon gold standard.

(My cute mower makes a soft little noise... like a purring kitten. And it has a hood (just like a car hood!) that lifts up and the tools store neatly underneath it. Bubbles optional. It's... totes adorbs!)  https://www.neutonpower.com/

Oh gawd I just thought of the Kitten Clipper form Gnomeo and Juliet

6 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Finally a nice day out today - I cut my lawn down to 3.5".  Gonna throw down some more patch seed tomorrow before Tuesday's rain

Tensioner spring broke on me at about 1/4 acre. Need a new one today to finish up the other 3/4. Was passed. 

At at least I wired up my trailer with a new harness and lights. Ended in a productive day. 

On 5/17/2018 at 9:18 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

With all the power equipment I see,if I ever paid for a "gasp" battery-powered mower, I think I'd have to kick my OWN ass.

Not to be confused with a battery-powered electric start gas mower.  Those are cool...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

With all the power equipment I see,if I ever paid for a "gasp" battery-powered mower, I think I'd have to kick my OWN ass.

Not to be confused with a battery-powered electric start gas mower.  Those are cool...

I keep seeing people say "I only want electric <mower/chainsaw/trimmer/etc>" because it's better for the environment!  Uhhhh... maybe?  But how about that strip mining for that lithium for the batteries?  Making stuff with plastic gears, etc for weight savings... Gimme my John Deere and Stihl stuff (that I bought from @mustang69 lol).  They all work great.  There's something to be said about the power that gas stuff has.

My dad had a gas trimmer and said it was a PITA to keep maintained... and switched to electric  I showed him how a good quality one could cut through the scrub that I have on my property.  He wants a gas one now.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 10:57 PM, Krdshrk said:

Finally a nice day out today - I cut my lawn down to 3.5".  Gonna throw down some more patch seed tomorrow before Tuesday's rain

What patch seed do you use?

1 hour ago, EWC88 said:

What patch seed do you use?

Scotts EZ Seed.  Just threw it down last night - didn't get a chance to water as it was getting dark, but today's rain should suffice.

Used a whole 10lb bag JUST on the front lawn, which tells you how patchy my grass is.

On 5/21/2018 at 8:57 AM, Krdshrk said:

I keep seeing people say "I only want electric <mower/chainsaw/trimmer/etc>" because it's better for the environment! 

I bought the Echo trimmer because it's slap in the battery and go.  No 2 cycle gas to screw around with, no cold starting, no carb to get gacked up every year from ethanol.  I do enough of that at work.  When I take care of my own lawn, I want as little hassle as possible.  Now, battery powered mower, maybe if you have a tiny law,n but for most people it's not practical.  Still not enough power or run time.

I look at battery powered yard stuff the same way as my cordless drills etc., it's a convenience, not a tree hugging feel good thing.

I look at battery powered yard stuff the same way as my cordless drills etc., it's a convenience, not a tree hugging feel good thing.

Every time I feel a tree hugging coming on, I pour some used motor oil down the storm drain out front. Instant cure!

5 hours ago, Handyman said:

Every time I feel a tree hugging coming on, I pour some used motor oil down the storm drain out front. Instant cure!

One of my old neighbors did that. EPA caught up with him and it cost him over 80k between fines restitution and lawyer. I wish it would have cost him even more. Fucker sent oil right into the creek in my backyard

I hope you are kidding. 

Hey, if Mother Nature wants to blow trees over on my house, she is asking for it. All that oil came out of a hole in the ground somewhere. Send it back home.

Now you’ll make me feel bad about all the turpentine I used to dump over the fence into my neighbors raised bed garden.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Handyman said:

Hey, if Mother Nature wants to blow trees over on my house, she is asking for it. All that oil came out of a hole in the ground somewhere. Send it back home.

Now you’ll make me feel bad about all the turpentine I used to dump over the fence into my neighbors raised bed garden.

boorish

32 minutes ago, Handyman said:

All that oil came out of a hole in the ground somewhere. Send it back home.

So you're saying digging a hole in the woods, and pouring the used oil into it, is just like "recycling"?

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

So you're saying digging a hole in the woods, and pouring the used oil into it, is just like "recycling"?

Psst. Sniper22, buddy, pal... You are playing right into Handyman’s hands.

He’s our resident curmudgeon and we love him for it. The only way to win is not to play.

ETA: Doh! I’m a fool. :facepalm: 

Reading back you are playing along. Getting the emails one at a time, you seemed incredulous. Reading the messages in order all together, you are in on it. ;) My bad. Carry on. 

• Like 2