capt14k

Average Yearly Spend on Firearms

Average Yearly Spend on Firearms  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend (on average) every year on Firearms?

• $0 - 500
    • $501 - $1000
    • $1001 - $2000
    • $2001 - $5000
    • $5001 - $10,000
    • $10,000 - $20,000
    • $20,000 +

Not sure how to post an anonymous poll but I am curious what the average NJGF member spends on Firearms, ammo, and accessories. Could someone maybe make a poll.

$0-500

$500-1000

$1,000-2,000

$2,000-5,000

$5,000-10,000

$10,000-20,000

$20,000 or more

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your choices don't go high enough [emoji4]

Feel free to add more. I got tired of typing. You could add $20-50k and over $50k. Let's call it the last 3 year average. So to be over $50k one would have to have spent $50k per year for the last 3 years or $150k

Come on, really.  Is this something we want to face?  No. I'd rather stay in denial thanks.  
Yeah as I'm figuring just the firearms the number is a lot higher than I thought. I haven't even gotten to the Finnish bayonets at $200-400 each. Probably does need more levels.

Are we counting range memberships and training classes in this?
I think even all in, I'm spending less than I used to spend on golf when that was my passion. 

No just firearms, ammo, and accessories. Range memberships, training, and insurance will be next poll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, fatty said:

ugh... that's one number I don't want to know for my own sanity

spent $4k on 1911's alone last year lol

I literally don't know how much I've spent. The way I see it is if I don't actually know I can't really lie about it.  There is something to be said for plausible deniability.   I know I've gotten some good deals and had a shitload of fun.  The fun was priceless.

• Like 2

One of the many benefits of firearms, aside from the sheer enjoyment of shootintg them, is their tendacy to retain their value and in some cases even appreciate or at least keep pace with inflation.

I haven't spent a large amount on fireams but it is comforting knowing that if I ever did NEED to sell them that I could more than likely get what I paid for them.  There are very few purchable items that hold their value in the same manner.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:53 PM, Old Glock guy said:

I think even all in, I'm spending less than I used to spend on golf when that was my passion. 

Guys that drive jeeps don't play golf. 

Man, this pole has me scratching my head.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Don't know about that, I used to have Jeep and played golf - I have since given them both up :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Interesting observation.  And to your point, I don't play golf anymore, but when I did, I didn't have a Jeep.  Go figure!

• Like 1

I notice people acquiring large amounts of firearms and little to no ammo. I'm not really sure where the logic comes from. I understand financial restrictions but if you can afford six AR's, you should have a substantial amount of food to feed them.

I went to a friends house the other day and his neighbor who he's close with won $12,000 on a scratch off. He went bananas and spent every dime on about 10 guns. I asked him what his ammo inventory looked like and he pointed to 4 lonely looking ammo cans in the corner. When I asked him "that's it?" in a nice way, he said he can always run to the gun shop to buy more.

I'm all for everyone entitled to their opinion or decision-making, but damn, I would say that's a very unprepared way of thinking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RecessedFilter said:

I notice people acquiring large amounts of firearms and little to no ammo.

Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong people. Are you watching everyone's UPS and Fedex deliveries? Most people don't broadcast what their ammo inventory is.

35 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong people. Are you watching everyone's UPS and Fedex deliveries? Most people don't broadcast what their ammo inventory is.

Not sure if you're serious with that question but I'll give you a serious answer. I don't have time to watch anyone's package deliveries but the NSA does.

Most people can be naive and will tell or show you if you ask. Look at forums. The knowledgeable keep quiet.

Not sure if you're serious with that question but I'll give you a serious answer. I don't have time to watch anyone's package deliveries but the NSA does.
Most people can be naive and will tell or show you if you ask. Look at forums. The knowledgeable keep quiet.
Do you really believe NSA doesn't know exactly what we all have? They do. Doesn't matter what is posted on forums. For the record all my firearms are well fed.

14 hours ago, capt14k said:

Do you really believe NSA doesn't know exactly what we all have? They do. Doesn't matter what is posted on forums. For the record all my firearms are well fed.

I was being serious. It depends on a lot of variables what they know but that's another thread.

I was being serious. It depends on a lot of variables what they know but that's another thread.
I'm serious too. NSA has every purchase, every email, every text, every post. If you buy ammo online they know. If you use credit card they know. If you use cash and talk about it on phone, forum, or text they know. It is wrong and an invasion of privacy but they don't care about the average firearms enthusiast. Unless of course they decide to patsy you.

In all seriousness I did work for a former Sheriff who spent time training police in Kosovo. After retiring he took job with Homeland. He oversaw a small group that picked up "chatter" and if they thought it was important they passed it on to him. He then went through it and filtered out most of it, because it was nothing important, and then he passed along to the next level anything he thought could have been something. This was 10 years ago and he told me they could hear and see anything digitally transmitted i.e. phone calls, email, text messages, etc.

Seems around 10% spend over $10k a year on firearms.  Over 80% spend less than $5k a year.  Curious how many of those that spend over $10k a year are Milsurp Collectors my guess on this forum would be about 50/50 with the other half buying Barretts and similar firearms.