capt14k

Average Yearly Spend on Firearms

Average Yearly Spend on Firearms  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend (on average) every year on Firearms?

• $0 - 500
    • $501 - $1000
    • $1001 - $2000
    • $2001 - $5000
    • $5001 - $10,000
    • $10,000 - $20,000
    • $20,000 +

500 rounds MINIMUM for each gun.
[mention=2200]RecessedFilter[/mention]
That is on the light side from what I have seen elsewhere. Many say 2,000 rounds. I try and keep around 1,000.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, capt14k said:

That is on the light side from what I have seen elsewhere. Many say 2,000 rounds. I try and keep around 1,000.

I said "minimum"

17 minutes ago, capt14k said:

That's what these guys said too. Old timers that keep 2,000-20,000 rounds of each caliber on hand.

Collecting ammo or hoarding ammo?

I feel like many of these guys buy ammo and shoot very little.

I tend to agree. 1,000 rounds of multiple calibers is not easy. I have it in almost all I own. I'm lacking in .32 and 6.5 Swede. Way behind in 7.7 JAP and Nambu ammo. Way over in .30-06 and .303 Brit.

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

I tend to agree. 1,000 rounds of multiple calibers is not easy. I have it in almost all I own. I'm lacking in .32 and 6.5 Swede. Way behind in 7.7 JAP and Nambu ammo. Way over in .30-06 and .303 Brit.

What I usually do is replace what I shoot plus extra.  This why, I have more ammo after I shoot.

What I usually do is replace what I shoot plus extra.  This why, I have more ammo after I shoot.
I am notoriously cheap. I wait til it goes one sale or someone is selling a bunch cheap and I buy a lot.

• Like 2

When I first started shooting I made sure to have enough Home Defense ammo on hand, and would buy whatever I was going to shoot at the range when I got there (usually about 300-350 rounds of 9mm and .45acp combined).  Then I realized how much that was costing me, so I started to buy what I wanted ahead of time - just enough to cover the next range trip (the same 300-350 rounds) - I stored everything I had in a single 30cal ammo box.  That made odd sense to me until the first time I couldn't find my calibers in the stores, so I started buying a bit more mail order - ordering enough to justify the shipping cost (maybe I had 1000 rounds combined).  Next I started acquiring more handguns and additional calibers - all requiring me to order enough in each for the range and reserves for the next shortage.  Fast forward to today.  My philosophy now is to stack it high and deep as long as I can store it safely.  Since I'm moving to NH soon I have no need to buy anything more until after that.     

4 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Apparently you don't remember what happened to available ammo and ammo prices after the Sandy Hook shooting.

• Like 1

My ammo stores tend to be at extremes. During sales, I buy a few thousand at a time and have a lot. But if a particular ammo doesn't go on sale for awhile then I get very low since I also shoot a lot, especially with the more popular calibers. Ive shot my ARs maybe 400-500 rounds per month and think I'm under 200 rounds left. Was hoping to stock up on Memorial Day but only saw the same sales I've seen the last few months. Maybe 4th will be my time.

I rarely have more than 100 of 308 at a time. I don't shoot more than 20-40 per month max, but not as often until a bit before deer season.