Handyman

Grandkid Starter Rifle

I purchased a Crickett last year for my then 7 year old grandson. So far have taken him to an outdoor range twice. A wonderful grandfather-grandson experience.  Is single shot and the right size for him. My fullsize 22lr rifle is much too big for him.

38 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Any ideas for a good starter .22 for a kid under 10?

Come on, don't be a cheapskate and play around... get him his own, fully loaded AR15...

After all, this is America!

from my thread in the rimfire section, there were a few winners in the $200-250 range (and a few I'm not sure of exact pricing)

Marlin XT22 youth

Savage Mark II GY

Henry H001 youth

Ruger American Rimfire Youth

Cricket/Rascal single shot

10/22 youth

For the first three, I have the fullsize XT22, two [different model fullsize] Savage rimfires, and H001 standard model, with 8k+, 1k+/2k+, and 1k+ trouble-free rounds through them, respectively.  The other models on the list, I can't comment on as I don't have any experience with em.  You might be able to find a used model for a good price where someone else outgrew a youth model.

IMO, the best option is the Ruger American Rimfire, as you can adapt it as he grows.  Most of the others will require either a whole new stock or new rifle as he outgrows it.

Were you looking for something with open rifle sights, peep sights, red dot, or scope?

I can vouch for the XT-22 YR. Very light and accurate. I wish they still made the stainless version.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/xt-series/model-xt-22yr

It comes with a single shot mag well insert, as well as a 7 rounder. Can take the Marlin 10 round mags, too.

I put in some Williams fire sights. Can be used with Tech Sights, which I have a few sets of and can also recommend.

When he outgrows it, I will put it in an adult-sized stock and he will have a nice little 16" barreled bolt gun.

I got mine for under $200.

If you go with the XT, check the sights carefully before taking possession. The first gun my FFL got in had crooked sights and had to be sent back. 

My first son started with the Savage youth in a lefty. It was not terribly accurate and we sold it. I have not fondled the Ruger, but it seems to be a great choice, too. The Cricket/Rascal are OK, but there is no room to grow, so to speak. They both will always be single shot youth guns.

If you really wanna HOOK him, take him to the Cricket factory in PA and let HIM press the button of the CNC machine to make HIS rifle!  :)  The Second Amendment Women did just that a coupla years ago and my friend went with her son to do it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

If you really wanna HOOK him, take him to the Cricket factory in PA and let HIM press the button of the CNC machine to make HIS rifle!  :)  The Second Amendment Women did just that a coupla years ago and my friend went with her son to do it!

That's a thing?  Didn't know they did that!  Hmmmmm

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

How does one go about setting this up?

21 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

That's a thing?  Didn't know they did that!  Hmmmmm

It was years ago.  I'm checking this afternoon as to their ability to do a "walk-thru" of an organized group from the Forum & possibly CNJFO (depending upon their number requirements, minimum purchases, rules, etc.).  The Second Amendment Women Shooting Club-SAW did the tour years ago, organized by Sandy Muldoon (a dear friend) & Shari Spivack (co-founders).  Other close friends of mine carpooled the 170 miles from Bridgewater (185 from So. Amboy) to their Milton, PA facility and their youngest got to select his stock off the rack & push the button for the CNC machine to finish making his Cricket from a blank.  I believe they send the rifles to a FFL back in Jersey(?) once their fitted-out & tested.

It's interesting to note that about a mile or so away as the crow flies is Milton State Park, which resides on an island in the middle of the west branch of the Susquehanna River.  Restrooms, water, picnic tables & charcoal grills await.  So a coupla coolers gets you to a place where you can throw a football or Frisbee, eat & wear the kids out before the ride back home.  A McDonald's is also nearby.  

Slightly west of the river is nearby Lewisburg, PA with all it's shopping glory for the ladies that don't want to go to a rifle manufacturing plant.  I've been to the Street of Shops Antique Mall on Water Street in Lewisburg, and it's quaint & has its' own PA Dutch style Diner right inside of it!  For those that want to explore more of the area, lodging is available including several B&B's right in Lewisburg at reasonable rates compared to Jersey.

So there's something for everyone in the family, day trip OR an overnight.  :) 

On 5/18/2018 at 7:52 PM, Regular Guy said:

I'll toss in a vote for the Marlin Model 60.  Took mine and my 10 year old daughter to the range for the first time last month and she loved it.

Nuthin; like breakin' a kid in on an assault weapon, lol :) 

5b09cf86e8294_Marlinmodel60.thumb.jpg.6eb2764935dab52daa502f2f28368943.jpg

What makes this an assault rifle?  It's a semi-auto .22LR for plinking, target shooting and small game hunting.  The way the PRNJ writes laws, this is pretty much the only other weapon they feel safe with me having that's not a muzzle loader or shotgun.  

I do want to retract my bid on this as being a first gun for a 10 year old.  My kid is very tall at 10, at about 5'1" tall.  Most kids are much smaller and this gun is long and a little heavy.

I started out on a marlin model 39 and still have it today. Yes it was a little big for me at first but I was only shooting from a bench to start with anyway. The reason I suggest it or another small lever gun like a Henry is because a young kid can grow into it instead of out growing it. Like @sota mentioned you could always cut the stock down if LOP is an issue. 

Fwiw I did start out with an RWS air rifle to learn the basics but the marlin was my first real gun. Started around 7 or 8 yrs old with the .22

On 5/26/2018 at 5:26 PM, Regular Guy said:

5b09cf86e8294_Marlinmodel60.thumb.jpg.6eb2764935dab52daa502f2f28368943.jpg

What makes this an assault rifle?  It's a semi-auto .22LR for plinking, target shooting and small game hunting.  The way the PRNJ writes laws, this is pretty much the only other weapon they feel safe with me having that's not a muzzle loader or shotgun.  

I do want to retract my bid on this as being a first gun for a 10 year old.  My kid is very tall at 10, at about 5'1" tall.  Most kids are much smaller and this gun is long and a little heavy.

Older versions held more than 15 rounds in the magazine.  Hence "assault weapon".  Pretty stupid isn't it?

4 hours ago, PeteF said:

Older versions held more than 15 rounds in the magazine.  Hence "assault weapon".  Pretty stupid isn't it?

Oh, yeah.  I forgot NJ assault weapon definition also applies to semi-auto rifles that do not have removable magazine.  I bought my model 60 back in the late '90s when I lived in a free state but it only holds 14 .22LR rounds so I'm good.   

On 5/15/2018 at 11:45 PM, Handyman said:

Any ideas for a good starter .22 for a kid under 10?

Cricket?

Henry Mini-Bolt?

so what did you wind up buying?

cricket is the best option for a first time shooter or something just like that.

I started my youngest out on this one although his big bother had the cz scout so I had to get him one of those;

20180820_213355_resized.jpg

On 6/6/2018 at 6:49 AM, shufly said:

Crickett Precision rifle. My daughter loves it, 

585D234A-9B34-4080-86AD-9DD7B5B8202E.jpeg

my only problem with this is that kids need to learn iron sites first but these are soooooo sweet!

• Like 1

Just now, GRIZ said:

+1 for learning with irons first.

both my sons have been shooting since each as 6 or so, started with BB guns in the basement range I set up to teach the basics.  They both have CZ Scouts and are deadly with them but, they shoot irons.  My oldest is 12 and I just put a scope on a 66b to teach him glass.

everyone should shoot and learn irons for a nice period of time.  They need to do this at different distances and different loads.  Scopes are bad, very very bad for young shooters

• Like 1