louu

Update on the Filipino M1 Garands

I had already seen video on other real firearms forums, but thank you for trying to broaden their horizons here OP. I predict this topic will get maybe 6 replies. Start one on height of grass and it will break 3 figures in replies and pop up at the top of unread section at least 3 times a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I wonder what they are going to cost? They spent over 5 million getting them here, if my math is right that's like $60 a rifle. I would gladly give  them a hundred bucks for a wall hangar. 

I wonder what they are going to cost? They spent over 5 million getting them here, if my math is right that's like $60 a rifle. I would gladly give  them a hundred bucks for a wall hangar. 
They won't be that cheap. They use profit for building ranges and supporting and promoting shooting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

If I can get a good one for like $600 I'll definitely jump!

Come on you'd spend more than that on an AR.  Garands are a finite resource.  The fewer there are, tell higher the price.  Simple supply and demand.

I've gotten a few rifles from CMP in the past.  My best shooter is a field grade I picked out at the North Store.  WW2 Springfield receiver, Danish VAR barrel, Danish cartouche on the stock, and mostly Beretta parts.  IIRC I paid $495 for it 10 years ago.

They wouldn't be that bad if we didn't have people like that one d-bag on here that buys 1 a month then resell them. 

What do I need to qualify for CMP? I don't currently belong to a range and I don't have a hunting license. According to the CMP that means there is no way I could hit the broad side of a barn. 

14 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

They wouldn't be that bad if we didn't have people like that one d-bag on here that buys 1 a month then resell them. 

What do I need to qualify for CMP? I don't currently belong to a range and I don't have a hunting license. According to the CMP that means there is no way I could hit the broad side of a barn. 

You can find the requirements here, which includes a search engine for finding CMP-affiliated clubs.

CMP Eligibility Requirements

They don't seem to show a list of other CMP-eligible organizations, other than the Garand Collectors Association ($40), though I believe GSSF ($35) also works.

I would say this -

In time the value of run of the mill garands will drop, we are going to reach an apex and in about 10 years you will be able to get a garand back to sub 500 ranges...

The hoarders will pass in, the families will not know what to do with the 30 garands pawpaw had and will dump em.

I am awaiting that buyers market.

BUT, life is too damn friggin short to not ha e st least one now.

The rifle that would need to be pried from my cold dead hands as I lay in a pile of enblocs and spent 06  brass, God forbid, is the M1.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

CMP only wants to be sure you've had some kind of training in gun handling.  The link 10x provided has a list.  That list and CMP's list of organizations is very liberal IMO.

The only proof I needed to submit was a copy of my military ID card.

If I can get a good one for like $600 I'll definitely jump!

Won't happen from CMP.

Can't buy one a month. Max is 8 per year. Who are you referring to?

I would say this -

In time the value of run of the mill garands will drop, we are going to reach an apex and in about 10 years you will be able to get a garand back to sub 500 ranges...
The hoarders will pass in, the families will not know what to do with the 30 garands pawpaw had and will dump em.
I am awaiting that buyers market.

BUT, life is too damn friggin short to not ha e st least one now.

The rifle that would need to be pried from my cold dead hands as I lay in a pile of enblocs and spent 06  brass, God forbid, is the M1.
I agree prices on secondary market for common Garand will drop eventually. So will all common Milsurps. Too many old timers sitting on 40 years worth of Milsurps.

Sooner than later I will take a ride to either North or South store and pickup an IHC. Spending $1,200 I would rather see what I am buying first.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Won't happen from CMP.

Can't buy one a month. Max is 8 per year. Who are you referring to?

I forget who it was, but there was a debate over whether he was acting as a firearms dealer without a license. 

I forget who it was, but there was a debate over whether he was acting as a firearms dealer without a license. 

If he is buying with intent to resell then yes that is a dealer without a license. If he bought and then changed his mind or sold to get a better or different piece to enhance his collection then that is not a dealer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10X said:

You can find the requirements here, which includes a search engine for finding CMP-affiliated clubs.

CMP Eligibility Requirements

They don't seem to show a list of other CMP-eligible organizations, other than the Garand Collectors Association ($40), though I believe GSSF ($35) also works.

So it looks like I qualify, I have a USPSA classification, RO certification and a Utah CCW. I think I have some certificates from some service rifle matches too. Not sure if Quinton is CMP affiliated. 

Is it like a gun shop, can I go there, pick one out and buy it? If I shoot the fort benning 3 gun this year I might have to take a detour. 

4 minutes ago, louu said:

So it looks like I qualify, I have a USPSA classification, RO certification and a Utah CCW. I think I have some certificates from some service rifle matches too. Not sure if Quinton is CMP affiliated. 

Is it like a gun shop, can I go there, pick one out and buy it? If I shoot the fort benning 3 gun this year I might have to take a detour. 

The North Store in Ohio is a lot closer.

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Ok - I don't mind going up to like $800...  

USPSA membership applies?  Perfect.  I qualify.

For $750 shipped to your ffl, you can get a "Service Grade" M1 from the CMP. "Service Grade" range in condition from pretty nice to arsenal refinished. They are usually a great buy.

For $750 shipped to your ffl, you can get a "Service Grade" M1 from the CMP. "Service Grade" range in condition from pretty nice to arsenal refinished. They are usually a great buy.
For $750 shipped in every state except this hell hole, Hawaii, CA, and now Washington State you can have rifle shipped to your door and not pay any transfer fees. Thank "Pro 2A" Christie Admin for that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Take an Appleseed course.

1. You'll be a better shooter

2. You'll learn some history 

3. You'll get to use your 10/22 for something other than plinking

4. You can buy an M1 from CMP

Best $60 you'll spend.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 5:07 PM, capt14k said:

For $750 shipped in every state except this hell hole, Hawaii, CA, and now Washington State you can have rifle shipped to your door and not pay any transfer fees. Thank "Pro 2A" Christie Admin for that.

Not NY, CT and I think MA either - NJ does not have the market on retardation cornered.

Not NY, CT and I think MA either - NJ does not have the market on retardation cornered.

So now it is up to 7. A decade ago I believe there was only one (Hawaii).