Njsarge

Cutting the cord

7 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Congrats.  Easy right? 

I hope the $108 includes a streaming service or two and isn't just your cost for internet.

Just internet.  Add Netflix, Prime, and DTVN. But I was already paying for them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Just internet.  Add Netflix, Prime, and DTVN. But I was already paying for them. 

Not sure how much data you need but streaming doesn't require a lot.  I have Optimum 100.  100 Mbps down download and I think 25 up.  Works fine on two Rokus, four cell phones and one or two other devices (laptop, iPad) for my family of four.

Congrats on cutting the cord! 

1 minute ago, gleninjersey said:

Not sure how much data you need but streaming doesn't require a lot.  I have Optimum 100.  100 Mbps down download and I think 25 up.  Works fine on two Rokus, four cell phones and one or two other devices (laptop, iPad) for my family of four.

Congrats on cutting the cord! 

Yeah,  I have the 250mbps option from Comcast.  It was an extra $20/month over their base 100.  It’s also what I had under the larger bundle so I figured limit changes and stay there initially. Can always reevaluate and go up/down if needed

• Like 1

Finally took the plunge today after much debating, procrastinating, stalling, and just being used to the norm. I've hesitated mainly because of needing MSG for Devils games. I finally found FuboTV which has MSG as part of their streaming service. A couple weeks back I did their 1 week free trial and for the most part I didn't miss Optimum TV at all. The sound is a bit lower and it's not a bright or white as cable TV. I experienced about 2 seconds of pixelation 3 times over the week. 

Today I called Optimum to cancel TV and phone service, and inquire about the best price they could give me for internet before I cancelled that too. I called their Jersey number and stated I wanted to cancel into the automated system. I got routed to an obvious Middle East call center. The first person I talked to kept putting me on hold claiming that she was trying to access my account. After about 10 minutes she said their systems were down and she can't access anything at this time. I immediately called back and just asked for billing, got routed to same call center, same person...hung up. I called back a third time and said I wanted to cancel, answered a couple other questions into their automated system and this time got routed to their retention center which is what I wanted. This time Juan answered and asked why I wanted to cancel. I explained I just found a better services that suited our needs. He came back with $78.50 for 100MBS, I asked if there was anything else he could do for a better price. I settled on $73.50 for 200MBS and keeping my home phone. Made it effective immediately, and Juan took care of everything right away without trying to harass me into keeping my TV service. 

So with taxes Optimum was costing me $245ish a month with nothing fancy. Now I will be at $66/mo for FuboTV and probably around $80 with taxes for my internet. All said and done I'll be saving just under $100 a month and not really missing out on anything that cable provided me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, InFamous said:

. I've hesitated mainly because of needing MSG for Devils games. I finally found FuboTV which has MSG as service  

FYI:  I think AT&T TV (formerly DirectTV Now) has MSG.  Keep it in mind if you want to try something else.  One benefit of the streaming services is you can try them for free without impacting each other. 

• Like 1

Just now, voyager9 said:

FYI:  I think AT&T TV (formerly DirectTV Now) has MSG.  Keep it in mind if you want to try something else.  One benefit of the streaming services is you can try them for free without impacting each other. 

I saw that too, I haven't looked into that one but will keep it in mind. Thanks man!

On 1/11/2019 at 3:58 PM, Ray Ray said:

Bumping an older thread.   Me and my wife recently cancelled our Fios TV service.  It's been about 10 days and I am fine without it.  We use a Firestick for streaming, and watch what we like.  

So it's been almost a year.  Aside from missing live news, we are fine.  The TV would sometimes sit for 2 or 3 days and not be used.  

5 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

So it's been almost a year.  Aside from missing live news, we are fine.  The TV would sometimes sit for 2 or 3 days and not be used.  

With FuboTV I have all the news stations, all locals except for ABC, and all local sports plus a ton of others. 

On 12/4/2019 at 9:10 PM, Ray Ray said:

Even with your LO? I'd love to cut the bill as it's almost 200 a month. I have Disney plus, but Id like to keep some other channels for the kids. 

we cut the cord for 2yrs now and have used hulu plus the firestick.  We are getting rid of Hulu due to price increases.  I just need something for the sports

2 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Even with your LO? I'd love to cut the bill as it's almost 200 a month. I have Disney plus, but Id like to keep some other channels for the kids. 

firestick gives you everything the disney plus gives fyi

4 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

The Firestick is just the device. You still need the streaming service (Prime, Netflix, D+, etc) for content. Unless I’m missing something. 

no you need streaming for news, sports and live shows but the firestick will give you everything that's been played for instance, Game of Thrones was on immediately after the episode aired.  You just download the apps from various guys stores (I found a great one) and I watch everything.  All you need is internet

9 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

They are not into TV shows.  

Any updates from our cord cutters? I tried to cancel Netflix through my cable and was getting the run around. I think I'm done. Is there a centralized interface for searching across all subscribed streaming services? I need something simple for my spouse to navigate. 

19 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Any updates from our cord cutters? I tried to cancel Netflix through my cable and was getting the run around. I think I'm done. Is there a centralized interface for searching across all subscribed streaming services? I need something simple for my spouse to navigate. 

No centralized interfacece for different providers that I am aware of.

Probably easiest to log into your Netflix account on your computer to cancel or change subscription.  Shouldn't be too hard but I bet they don't make it too easy either.

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

The appleTV tries to be a centralized service across the different streaming apps.  With limited success.  It can tell you if there are new episodes for shows you’ve tagged on various services.  It can also search across those services for content.  I don’t think it can pull from Netflix but others like Prime, HBOMax, Disney+, and AT&T-TV show up.  I think Amazon has something similar for their FireSticks. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Is there a centralized interface for searching across all subscribed streaming services? I need something simple for my spouse to navigate. 

I have an app called “JustWatch” on my phone. You can enter what subscriptions you have then search for shows by title. It’s not alway 100% but it’s close enough and gives a starting point.

• Thanks 1

Ah.  I think I misunderstood the question.

Are you looking for a centralized interface to control your subscriptions (canceling, setting parental controls,, billing, etc) to different providers or a centralized way to search for programming across providers?

I can only speak to Roku users.  To search for content you can use Rokus "Search" feature.  Let's you search by by title, actor name etc.  Will then display movie or movies with that actor.  When you click on the movie title it will show recommendations where to watch it (Netflix, Redbox, HBO Go, etc).

As far as centealized access to all your content fee based providers (Netflix, Prime, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc) there is nothing that I'm aware of.  Easiest way is to use computer and log in to individual content providers.