Twospot

Private sale from home

Can you do a private sale of a handgun (assuming buyer has all proper paperwork Photo ID matching FID, P2P, etc.) from home or do you have to meet at a range? In other words, buyer goes to sellers home to do transaction.

Good question. I’ve often pondered this. I would assume as soon as the gun becomes the buyer’s that he secure it appropriately and leaves for a legal destination it should be good. But I’d like to hear what others chime in with. 

• Like 1

Anywhere is okay. I have met sellers in their home, in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot and many other places mutually agreed upon by both buyer and seller.  I certainly would never meet on any school property. A range is also a great place to meet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1563621 said:

FTF is no issue. just verify all docs and dates.seller has to mail PP to state and local PD.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Anywhere is okay. I have met sellers in their home, in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot and many other places mutually agreed upon by both buyer and seller.  I certainly would never meet on any school property. A range is also a great place to meet.

Thank you very much. This is very helpful!

Technically if you are selling a handgun, and the buyer comes to your home and does the paperwork, his possession of the purchased handgun from your house back to his house is covered under the "exemption" of taking it from point of purchase back to his home.

However, I've wondered about the situation where the seller brings a handgun to the buyer's house to do paperwork.  What exemption covers THAT trip?  What if the seller gets pulled over and searched on the way to the buyer's house?

The same for taking a handgun to a dealer to sell.  If the dealer is also a gunsmith, then you are covered since you can bring a gun to and from a gunsmith.  But if the dealer isn't a gunsmith, what covers that trip?

That's the problem with banning something outright and then coming up with a list of exemptions.  It ought to be the other way - the default ought to be legality.

Rifles and shotguns don't pose the same difficulties, because with a FPID card you can possess them unloaded most places.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kman said:

Technically if you are selling a handgun, and the buyer comes to your home and does the paperwork, his possession of the purchased handgun from your house back to his house is covered under the "exemption" of taking it from point of purchase back to his home.

However, I've wondered about the situation where the seller brings a handgun to the buyer's house to do paperwork.  What exemption covers THAT trip?  What if the seller gets pulled over and searched on the way to the buyer's house?

The same for taking a handgun to a dealer to sell.  If the dealer is also a gunsmith, then you are covered since you can bring a gun to and from a gunsmith.  But if the dealer isn't a gunsmith, what covers that trip?

That's the problem with banning something outright and then coming up with a list of exemptions.  It ought to be the other way - the default ought to be legality.

Rifles and shotguns don't pose the same difficulties, because with a FPID card you can possess them unloaded most places.

Agreed. If I'm selling I just wanted to make sure buyer coming to me is cool. I wouldn't risk going to him unless we met at a range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twospot said:

Can you do a private sale of a handgun (assuming buyer has all proper paperwork Photo ID matching FID, P2P, etc.) from home or do you have to meet at a range? In other words, buyer goes to sellers home to do transaction.

presuming they have all proper paperwork, this is nothing more than a face to face sale

1 hour ago, Twospot said:

I forgot to mention.....Do it quickly as this option will no longer be available soon!:(

My rule of thumb is buyer goes to seller or I'll meet them at Monmouth Arms. I wont make the mistake of meeting them at that other shop that shall remain nameless....for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My rule of thumb is buyer goes to seller or I'll meet them at Monmouth Arms. I wont make the mistake of meeting them at that other shop that shall remain nameless....for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope Steve is getting his cut.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

I hope Steve is getting his cut.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

He has gotten thousands in C&R and antique transfers. I rarely sell anything in NJ anyways.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk