Howard

Bad day at the match

Shot a USPSA match today and it went just OK, till the last stage.  Shot an activator, two poppers and then shot one on clamshell target and heard click.  Too late to put a second on it but hear click again.  Racked through a few rounds and click each time.  Changed mags, and two more clicks.  Just showed clear and holsters, zeroed the darn stage.  Took the G35 apart and found the striker had broken :(   Glad it was on the last stage of the day.

striker.jpg

striker2.jpg

That sucks but at least you made it most of the way through the match. 

I once drove 2 hours to a match and the gun broke on the first stage. I now bring 2 guns to each match. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MedicYeti said:

That sucks but at least you made it most of the way through the match. 

I once drove 2 hours to a match and the gun broke on the first stage. I now bring 2 guns to each match. 

My thought exactly, could have been earlier in the match.  I bring two to a major match, but generally not to monthly club matches.

Don’t you at least bring some spare parts?

I keep an Altoids tin in my pistol bag that has a Glock punch and a replacement for every spring and small part on the gun.

Short of the barrel, slide, or frame having a catastrophic malfunction, I can fix my gun.

Is that a Glock OEM firing pin?

Factory ammo?

OEM/std weight springs?

• Like 1

Don’t you at least bring some spare parts?
I keep an Altoids tin in my pistol bag that has a Glock punch and a replacement for every spring and small part on the gun.
Short of the barrel, slide, or frame having a catastrophic malfunction, I can fix my gun.
Is that a Glock OEM firing pin?
Factory ammo?
OEM/std weight springs?

Don’t typically do that for monthly club matches. For a major match I will bring a complete spare gun. No this was a titanium skeletonized striker. I do have the OEM laying around for a temporary fix, would have been a good idea to have it with me. Never had one break before.

11 hours ago, fishnut said:

glock perfection?

In before @Ray Ray 

I don't know about that.

By the time I retired I'd been using and overseeing Glocks for about 20 years.  At the end of my career I was overseeing a couple hundred Glocks 9mms and got regular reports of issues for the several thousand my agency used.  By the time I retired some of the personally owned guns has over 30,000 rounds through them.  My 26 must have over 40,000 rounds through it.

I have personal knowledge of exactly one part failing in that time.  A recoil spring guide snapped because the guy was trying to put the gun together the wrong way.

I understand there are reasons people use aftermarket parts.  However, I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it crowd".

• Like 3

Two is one & one is none.  Pro wedding Photogs of my ilk carried as many as 4 bodies & a strobe for each with multiple interchangeable power sources.  Not to mention a complete set of lenses.

Gun fighting is mindset.  USPSA is still "gun fighting" even though it's a GAME.  Always play to WIN.  Spare parts & spare guns at EVERY match.  Glad your gun broke at the END of the match & not nearer the beginning!

Take care & be glad that you didn't blow-up the gun with a squib :) 

On 5/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, GRIZ said:

I don't know about that.

By the time I retired I'd been using and overseeing Glocks for about 20 years.  At the end of my career I was overseeing a couple hundred Glocks 9mms and got regular reports of issues for the several thousand my agency used.  By the time I retired some of the personally owned guns has over 30,000 rounds through them.  My 26 must have over 40,000 rounds through it.

I have personal knowledge of exactly one part failing in that time.  A recoil spring guide snapped because the guy was trying to put the gun together the wrong way.

I understand there are reasons people use aftermarket parts.  However, I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it crowd".

LOL I was just busting balls nothing wrong with Glocks they're just not for me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Yeah. And broken!

I have tens of thousands of rounds on my primary Glock training gun. Same striker as the day I bought it.

What is the benefit to the lightened striker? And is the juice worth the squeeze?

To be clear that was sarcasm. My G19 is all stock other than some tacticool laser engraved upgrades.. haha. I carry it at least 3 or 4 days a week for a few hrs in my place of business, as discussed in previous threads. Thing gets kinda beat up getting smacked against shelves and crap and i need it to work if SHTF.... so... no titanium for me lol.

2 hours ago, Howard said:

The light titanium striker allows you to use lighter springs for a lighter trigger pull.  Not what you would do on a duty or HD gun, but this is for fun and games.

How light of a trigger pull do you get?

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

Would a 3.5# Glock factory trigger been too much?

@Howard not trying to bust your chops but too many people seek out the lightest trigger they find to use as a crutch not an advantage.  Swapping out springs and other parts to become a "great shooter" is the wrong way to do it.

Now I know none of us here shoots like Jerry Miculek.  Some of the "great shooters" on this forum were surprised when they found out Miculek uses extra power springs in his revolvers.  10-12 lb is normal , I guess he uses 14lb or more.  This assures the revolver will function as fast as he can pull the trigger.  One can outrun the trigger on a revolver if the trigger is too light.

One wouldn't think of participating in a triathlon without building up those muscles for running, swimming, and biking.  You need to do the same if one wants to be a "great shooter".

A "great shooter" can shoot just as well with a 10lb trigger as a 2.5lb trigger.  Smooth is much more important than light in a trigger.  I guarantee you Miculek's guns have smooth triggers and he can finger wrestle guys a lot bigger than him and win.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

@Howard not trying to bust your chops but too many people seek out the lightest trigger they find to use as a crutch not an advantage.  Swapping out springs and other parts to become a "great shooter" is the wrong way to do it.

Now I know none of us here shoots like Jerry Miculek.  Some of the "great shooters" on this forum were surprised when they found out Miculek uses extra power springs in his revolvers.  10-12 lb is normal , I guess he uses 14lb or more.  This assures the revolver will function as fast as he can pull the trigger.  One can outrun the trigger on a revolver if the trigger is too light.

One wouldn't think of participating in a triathlon without building up those muscles for running, swimming, and biking.  You need to do the same if one wants to be a "great shooter".

A "great shooter" can shoot just as well with a 10lb trigger as a 2.5lb trigger.  Smooth is much more important than light in a trigger.  I guarantee you Miculek's guns have smooth triggers and he can finger wrestle guys a lot bigger than him and win.

Now that is some good food for thought! Thanks @GRIZ!

Well while all that has been said about the need to train and know how to shoot a "factory" trigger is valid for much shooting, it is less true for disciplines like USPSA than for bulls-eye type shooting.  USPSA is scored based on hit factor, not accuracy.  Hit factor is the rate at which you acquire points, i.e. points per second.  While you can't miss fast enough to win you can drop a lot of points and score better than someone that is slow and very accurate.  What that means is you are not doing stuff like slow steady trigger pulls nor looking to just come off the trigger to reset and then pulling the next shot.  Most fast shooters are coming off and slapping the trigger.  Thus, a very light trigger is a definite asset.  Sure, you need to know the fundamentals, and a light trigger won't provide that much value to a pure novice and could actually be dangerous.  But if you know what you are doing give me that light trigger over a stock one every day.