Melancholia

Legal Status of Non-NFA Firearm AR Build?

12 minutes ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

Not sure, one of my friends in CA said it was a few years ago, my guess is 2016 when they went nuts with their AWB.

currently in CA you can buy a single shot-drop top AR pistol and convert it to semi auto on your own accord....again not 100% certain this is the law. 

Even now in 2019 you can still get around some of the oppressive CA laws.

Behold CA legal AR pistol:

Not sure, one of my friends in CA said it was a few years ago, my guess is 2016 when they went nuts with their AWB.

currently in CA you can buy a single shot-drop top AR pistol and convert it to semi auto on your own accord....again not 100% certain this is the law. 

20 minutes ago, nondisclosure said:

this is what I’m considering building:

carbine buffer tube with PDW brace

vfg

10.5” barrel p/w 3 prong flash hider.

this should get me over the 26” mark and still have a brace...

The PDW brace doesn’t need a buffer tube, that’s all part of the brace, it does use a standard buffer and spring

1 hour ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

The PDW brace doesn’t need a buffer tube, that’s all part of the brace, it does use a standard buffer and spring

I just noticed that. 

the surefire flash hider will be thrown on... now I wish geissele would do a quick sale! Lol 

got a Troy and Samson foregrip just laying around to throw on too... 

13 hours ago, PK90 said:

I have plenty is pistols in the shop to measure manana for your answer. 

Point of Reference: An AR w/10.5" & SBA3 is 26.3" from end of tube to end of A2 FH. It would need to be made permanent.

• Like 2

An  max defense PDW brace with 11.5in barrel and pinned A2 flash hider is a hair over 26" at min length. 

AFAIK that PDW braces utilize the  proprietary buffer tube length, springs and buffers. JP even makes a silent spring for them. 

9 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Just so that I am clear, since it's not considered an "assault weapon", if it's OAL is 26" or greater, it can have a FH and it doesn't have to be pinned on?

Correct, but the measurement must be to the end of the barrel, thereby increasing it's OAL.

16 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

An  max defense PDW brace with 11.5in barrel and pinned A2 flash hider is a hair over 26" at min length. 

AFAIK that PDW braces utilize the  proprietary buffer tube length, springs and buffers. JP even makes a silent spring for them. 

The Maxim PDW brace uses a proprietary buffer system. The SBPDW doesn’t, SB makes maxim’s brace but their own one has a slightly bigger buffer to use a standard buffer/spring to differentiate the 2 products.

5 minutes ago, e92m3allday said:

An 11.5” should do the trick. You have to measure from end of brace collapsed to end of threads. 

Maybe I'm confused, but doesn't a FH add 1.5" to the barrel? So if 10.5" barrel + FH is only 26.3", then an unpinned 11.5 will be just shy of 26 at 25.8?

4 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

So the brace can be adjustable also?

Yes. Though it's uncertain whether length is measured from the fully extended position or not, so might be worth playing it safe and going from the collapsed position.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, everythingisnothing said:

Maybe I'm confused, but doesn't a FH add 1.5" to the barrel? So if 10.5" barrel + FH is only 26.3", then an unpinned 11.5 will be just shy of 26 at 25.8?

The A2 flash hider only adds ~1.2 inches  to the 10.5” length. It is 1.75” long, but you’re forgetting that the FH goes on to threads. That’s why standard birdcages don’t make 14.5” barrels the legal 16” length. So an 11.5” would be about 26.1” OAL at the minimum. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

23 hours ago, everythingisnothing said:

Though it's uncertain whether length is measured from the fully extended position or not, so might be worth playing it safe and going from the collapsed position.

Collapsed for NJ as per NJSP letter. 

On 6/19/2019 at 12:26 PM, PK90 said:

Point of Reference: An AR w/10.5" & SBA3 is 26.3" from end of tube to end of A2 FH. It would need to be made permanent.

NJ measured with the brace collapsed. That threw a wrench in my plans. Need an 11.5" barrel now. 

23 hours ago, e92m3allday said:

An 11.5” should do the trick. You have to measure from end of brace collapsed to end of threads. 

As per the NJSP letter I concur. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Collapsed for NJ as per NJSP letter. 

NJ measured with the brace collapsed. That threw a wrench in my plans. Need an 11.5" barrel now. 

As per the NJSP letter I concur. 

I'm trying to clear this up, but  it doesn't matter how NJ measures it. 26" is a federal issue to by pass the NFA. 

NJ doesn't have any laws in regards to it being over 26"s

Worry about what the ATF would do.

6 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I'm trying to clear this up, but  it doesn't matter how NJ measures it. 26" is a federal issue to by pass the NFA. 

NJ doesn't have any laws in regards to it being over 26"s

Worry about what the ATF would do.

I'm worried about the NJ prosecutor, not the ATF. 

9 hours ago, Bowling Ball said:

They'll throw every single charge they possibly can, bogus or not, just to make the evening news.

So then why even attempt a non nfa firearm if youre concerned? 

I for one will not be afraid of laws that do not exist, or people enforcing laws they have no jurisdiction over. 

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Brian Aitken got 7 years for transporting a legally purchased handgun. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Aitken

Well, Brian Aitken didn't do himself any favors when he a)openly broke the law and b) found himself trying to argue exemptions to hand gun transportation laws. (Which those convictions were over turned) 

But again, if this is your fear..then why bother? Do you transport handguns in your car? 

NJSP don't have a 26" standard to uphold.. so if you are over or under they could still do what ever you think they would do. 

24 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

No, that’s not what he was convicted of.  He was convicted of illegal possession of hollow point bullets.

He was convinced of that, along with illegal magazines and hollow points. 

The handgun transport convictions were over turned.. while the rest were not.

The jury was instructed to ignore parts of the law by a judge.. it was a fiasco... 

But if we're going to use this example as a reason to be cautious.. then don't bring your guns out of your house.

36 minutes ago, nondisclosure said:

Page2

is it legal to construct.

NJSP: yes. 

NJSP/AG\Gov on the letter head.

I can’t actually believe I missed this statement in the letter due to pure excitement. 

notice it did not specifically say. Manufacter only

Can you qoute the text? 

And remember this is a response directly to a manufacturer/s. 

I tried looking but didn't find what you are referring to. Therw are 2 documents in the links.