Melancholia

Legal Status of Non-NFA Firearm AR Build?

1 hour ago, SJG said:

If you are going to build your own please don't post that fact on a public forum. You are just giving the state the finger even if what you end up building is technically legal. It is shit like this that will invite attention and encourage legislation . You will ruin it for the rest of us.  Why? because legislators will conclude that they cannot control the non-NFA category, especially if one is confiscated and/or ends up slightly different from the mold. You can bet your ass that the State knows who the licensed manufacturers are. You are just drawing attention to yourself.

Is it really any different than people building their own normal ARs instead of purchasing complete rifles from manufacturers? Its the same middle finger, just a bit shorter. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SJG said:

If you are going to build your own please don't post that fact on a public forum. You are just giving the state the finger even if what you end up building is technically legal. It is shit like this that will invite attention and encourage legislation . You will ruin it for the rest of us.  Why? because legislators will conclude that they cannot control the non-NFA category, especially if one is confiscated and/or ends up slightly different from the mold. You can bet your ass that the State knows who the licensed manufacturers are. You are just drawing attention to yourself.

Really?

Pretty sure the fact these things even exist in this state is enough.... hardly doubt the fact one can be assembled from a transferrable receiver would push them over that edge.

The fact is, the state wants these registered through their NICS system... thats it. 

The fact is, they are legal to build... as outlined in their own letters, no such law states they cannot.

The fact is, they outline the legal definition of substantially identical to include anything the resembles by law the firearms given the green light. 

THE FACT IS, once you build a substantially identical "firearm" it makes zero difference if it was built from a receiver or purchased... A complete home built firearm... is NO DIFFERENT than a MM Firearm.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, SJG said:

Why don't you be the test case

Every single one of my AR-15 is home assembled.... Ive been a walking test case for over a decade. 

I've relied on the same "substantially identical" definition and its worked out just fine for me. 

I wouldn't own any guns if i was worried about an uniformed LEO putting me in jail for a legal firearm. 

4 minutes ago, SJG said:

But we need you to be ours on this one.

Buy the way, I agree with you on legality, if built per the specs but the test case may not if they have to go through the system

We all need to look at this with a realistic approach.. Most cops don't know these things are legal... I HIGHLY doubt a piece of paper you hand them will just clear all of that up on the spot... They will take your gun... and figure out if its legal before charging you... which wont happen because... 

2 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

There won’t be a “test case” because there is no laws being broken. 

Just don't be the dumbass who gets caught with parts and an AR-15.

Fact is, we don't know that for sure, but feel free to volunteer

Unfortunately, the question if a law is being broken or not, depends on which side of the table you are on

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

12 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

There's another thread where people have already started posting their builds. Maybe they can check in over here so we can see they arent in jail. 

Better yet, they can take them over to the State Police firearm Unit for inspection, then we may know for sure

Listen I agree with the points being made that air on the side of caution, especially dealing with NJ, but everything that has been hashed out in these multiple threads in my opinion these are green lighted. More and more dealers are shipping them into NJ. They are good to go either built or bought. 

6 minutes ago, SJG said:

Fact is, we don't know that for sure, but feel free to volunteer

Unfortunately, the question if a law is being broken or not, depends on which side of the table you are on

2 minutes ago, SJG said:

Better yet, they can take them over to the State Police firearm Unit for inspection, then we may know for sure

We are not in some grey area here. The State police already gave their opinion that the submitted "firearms" are legal, and ANYTHING substantially identical.. 

I have no doubts that regardless if you had a TROY MM or DS or home built, they will probably take your gun for inspection... because even those listed could be reconfigured to be illegal.. so what does that letter you hand them really do for you?

All of this hinges on whether the cop thinks the gun is legal.... 

I had a cop give me a ticket when i moved because the DMV stopped giving out stickers for licenses, all i had was a print out from the DMV.... So just be aware theyre gonna do what ever they want regardless and let who ever figure it out later.

DOES MM EVEN HAVE A LETTER? all i found is DS and TROY.

• Agree 2

If this becomes a "bump stock" fiasco all the "others" and SBR work arounds may be done. Interesting question as to what will happen to all the originally mfg and sold firearms with braces that are in the marketplace. Unlike bump stocks, i don't think any firearms were mfg and sold with bump stocks to begin with.

1 hour ago, SJG said:

If this becomes a "bump stock" fiasco all the "others" and SBR work arounds may be done. Interesting question as to what will happen to all the originally mfg and sold firearms with braces that are in the marketplace. Unlike bump stocks, i don't think any firearms were mfg and sold with bump stocks to begin with.

Nothing will happen.  The fudds don't care and this ruling only affects us with too much to lose.  The NRA wants nothing to do with the real fight either. 

They know we won't fight. 

The left has nothing to lose,  they get paid to get into confrontations with police and create news stories.  Fool the nation into thinking everybody thinks the way they do. 

But to get to the point,  since this goes contrary to past determinations,  the BATFE wil allow a 'comment period'.

20 hours ago, Bowling Ball said:

68755686_2478570782418531_6401347286638526464_o.jpg

Wow. Never thought I'd say this, but I think the 2A was safer under Obama. I have a complete firearm on order. When either the cryptkeeper legislates or the Cheeto uses an illegal EO hopefully I can get an organization to back a lawsuit. Enough is enough. 

37 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Wow. Never thought I'd say this, but I think the 2A was safer under Obama. I have a complete firearm on order. When either the cryptkeeper legislates or the Cheeto uses an illegal EO hopefully I can get an organization to back a lawsuit. Enough is enough. 

I'd pump the brakes, some people on other forums dug into this post and can't find it, so they think it's either fake or he's deleted it.  Supposedly he's also been saying this for years, yet here we are with braces still legal.

Also, just because Obama was a failure doesn't mean he wasn't trying.  Attempt to ban green tips, villainization of legal gun owners after high profile events, etc.  Politicians all suck.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, everythingisnothing said:

I'd pump the brakes, some people on other forums dug into this post and can't find it, so they think it's either fake or he's deleted it.  Supposedly he's also been saying this for years, yet here we are with braces still legal.

Also, just because Obama was a failure doesn't mean he wasn't trying.  Attempt to ban green tips, villainization of legal gun owners after high profile events, etc.  Politicians all suck.

Agreed. Im seeing a post on Arfcom and here about this. Cant find a single news article hinting at anything about this

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I disagree completely.  At the end of the day the real fight is at the Supreme Ct and the lower Federal courts.  Trump is transforming the Federal judiciary for a generation.  With Obama's picks Heller would have been quickly overturned.