Melancholia

Legal Status of Non-NFA Firearm AR Build?

23 minutes ago, samtechlan said:

But now you won't be able to take them across state lines without ATF approval.  That sucks.

Just pull the stock off. 

I have no intention of taking my guns to another state. AZ is 13 times the size of NJ. Where am I going to go?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2019 at 9:51 AM, 0Jeep4 said:

Listen I agree with the points being made that air on the side of caution, especially dealing with NJ, but everything that has been hashed out in these multiple threads in my opinion these are green lighted. More and more dealers are shipping them into NJ. They are good to go either built or bought. 

We are not really arguing over whether the guns are legal but having discussion on home builds. =)

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Found this flowchart on Reddit. Very informative and helpful for the undaunted.

formula.png

I'd be a little hesitant using an extended/VLTOR A5 tube.  Isn't there a LOP limit for braces to be considered legal?  Otherwise this is a great resource.

2 minutes ago, everythingisnothing said:

I'd be a little hesitant using an extended/VLTOR A5 tube.  Isn't there a LOP limit for braces to be considered legal?  Otherwise this is a great resource.

Nope. SOLGW's version comes standard with the A5 tube and 11.5" barrel. 

• Informative 1

3 minutes ago, everythingisnothing said:

I seem to remember something with KAK being told 13.5" was the max.  The SBA3/4 only use the first 5 positions because of this I think.  But then again adding a folder (on a pistol, not non-NFA) would extend it past that number too, I think.

Here we go again.....Thats for a pistol. These are not pistols and furthermore it was never set in stone with a letter. 

• Agree 2

Spoke with a mfr yesterday and this may all be trivial in the near future as ATF is really looking at braces and reclassifying to SBR, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Trying to get confirmation from a major mfr who has much closer ear to the ATF. 

So if you are on the fence, go buy one, shoot it, enjoy it, then STFU. =P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Spoke with a mfr yesterday and this may all be trivial in the near future as ATF is really looking at braces and reclassifying to SBR, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Amen but we all know that color plays a part in this as well. Do you think its ok to let some one cerakote one or do I need a Form 4?

7 minutes ago, Blacksmythe said:

Amen but we all know that color plays a part in this as well. Do you think its ok to let some one cerakote one or do I need a Form 4?

Ask the BATFE and then follow up with NJSP FIU. Only way to be sure

9 hours ago, Maksim said:

I believe the ATF is specifically targeting the blade type and other hard plastic/metal braces for reclassification as stocks and no longer arm braces.

I think the softer SB and Sig type braces will be left alone.... for now.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

44 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I believe the ATF is specifically targeting the blade type and other hard plastic/metal braces for reclassification as stocks and no longer arm braces.

I think the softer SB and Sig type braces will be left alone.... for now.

Thanks.  Hopefully.  Have not heard otherwise but will keep on checking.  I hope so. 

On 8/12/2019 at 9:22 PM, Maksim said:

So I have not played with Joe's rifles... Waiting for @Modern Materiel to get me and @Rufio.Weaponworks one to demo for videos and magazines.  But I have now put a few hundred rounds through my Troy A4 and should have a Dark Storm Variant this week.

I will not be making a comment or opinion on Modern Materiel until I try any of their rifles or firearms. I have been trying to work with MM for a year about arranging a range day to demo their product and publish an article on one of my many channels and haven’t been able to get them to commit to a range day. :dontknow:

On 8/16/2019 at 8:38 AM, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

I will not be making a comment or opinion on Modern Materiel until I try any of their rifles or firearms. I have been trying to work with MM for a year about arranging a range day to demo their product and publish an article on one of my many channels and haven’t been able to get them to commit to a range day. :dontknow:

They're fantastic.  Definitely good to go.

4 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Has anyone gone to Range 14 with one of these yet?

They’ve got a range rule: “All rifles must have shoulder stocks”.

THAT is going to be interesting...

Is that an old rule before the pistol brace days?  Or is this something new/recent?

Do the ROs there even know the rules?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't... (Shoulder it.)

4 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Has anyone gone to Range 14 with one of these yet?

They’ve got a range rule: “All rifles must have shoulder stocks”.

Well .....

It is not a rifle, sooooo

It also is not a stock, sooooo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Where did you go?  And looked at by ROs or other shooters?

I have two of these now... so I think I may go do a test. hehe.

Looked at by both. I had it in a tool box broken down. It was fine after I explained what it was and showed a picture of one for sale. one was the Bullet Hole the other a private range in Somerset County. I have a few too and im looking to buy another..

23 minutes ago, Blacksmythe said:

Looked at by both. I had it in a tool box broken down. It was fine after I explained what it was and showed a picture of one for sale. one was the Bullet Hole the other a private range in Somerset County. I have a few too and im looking to buy another..

Shocked you were checked out at Bullet Hole.  Don't they sell them there?

And... Somerset... assuming SCFG?

Your home build?

And that is why I see the value in the letter for the rifles being sold. 

• Like 1

The item in question. Even had the measuring tape. But it did'nt come to that. aAfter they saw the ad and its price it was a curiosity for 10mins. No big deal. I would suggest printing what one is though just in case. Or not. Don't encourage their pompous authority.BADGERNONNFA.thumb.jpeg.c6382169226c7f57ea38e83026d773f7.jpeg