JMich3

First time Shooting Woes

So today i put the first 150 rounds through my brand new VP9 and towards the end of my session i had a couple FTF jams. I’ve been reading that it’s common with new VP9s because it has a stiff recoil spring. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I was shooting PMC 115 grain FMJ so it’s not crappy ammo. 

Gotta ask - brand new.... Did you clean it?  Standard take down, degrease the packing grease and lube up with your choice of lube.  All of my factory new guns had issues out of the box because the packing grease they put it in is NOT lube.  Clean/lube then try again.

• Like 1

Did you clean the packing grease off the gun prior to firing it?  Dirty rails with gummed-up crud slow-down the slide on its' way back & VIOLA, it's JAMARAMA time :)   OOPS, Nick beat me to it!

Thanks guys, first time pistol owner so i did not break it down and clean it before. I did clean and lube it when i got home though. I’ll try to get to the range again tomorrow and see what happens.

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

Much worse. I hate cosmoline. Commie grease is even worse. I rarely buy anything still packed in either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dad told lots of stories of gun cleanin' with gasoline & a rag & a mop.  Wipe dry & a touch of oil for both his M-1 & his 1911.  Nuthin' cuts cosmoline better than gas!  :) 

Dad told lots of stories of gun cleanin' with gasoline & a rag & a mop.  Wipe dry & a touch of oil for both his M-1 & his 1911.  Nuthin' cuts cosmoline better than gas!  [emoji4] 

Kerosene works well too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Dad told lots of stories of gun cleanin' with gasoline & a rag & a mop.  Wipe dry & a touch of oil for both his M-1 & his 1911.  Nuthin' cuts cosmoline better than gas!  :) 

I heard the same story. Gasoline was a common degreaser for WW2 GI's

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

First time handgun owner, are you also new to handgun shooting?  Guns do funny things if they are limp wristed, usually FTE but  anything is possible.  If you're trying it again anyways ensure you have a firm and proper grip.

I took a one on one lesson with an instructor recently and my grip was good then . I am planning on working on and checking my grip, next trip to the range. 

I have a VP9 and the only time i have ever had a FTE with it was when I let my thumb slide up a bit in my grip and was sitting on the edge of the slide causing interference with it being able to slide back like it should.   Readjusted my grip and it never happened again.

But like others have already posted, dirty or gummed up slide rails can cause an issue as well.

46 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

Ok update time. Cleaned and oiled the VP9 last night. Just put 150 yards down range not a single issue! Thanks for the input everyone 

OUTSTANDING!

Since you're a Newbie, you might want to consider protecting your gun rights?  Here's some lite reading:  http://www.cnjfo.com 

http://www.JustifiableNeed.com 

Rosey

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

First time handgun owner, are you also new to handgun shooting?  Guns do funny things if they are limp wristed, usually FTE but  anything is possible.  If you're trying it again anyways ensure you have a firm and proper grip.

This is worth considering. For technique that causes FTF, you cna look at teacupping the gun as a culprit. 

I'll let archer demonstrate

600px-ArcherS2_0206_PPK_01.jpg

It can push up on the mag, moving feed lip position, and causing a jam. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JMich3 said:

Ok update time. Cleaned and oiled the VP9 last night. Just put 150 yards down range not a single issue! Thanks for the input everyone 

2nd time shooting and already at 150 yards with a 9mm.

Very impressive! :o

• Like 2

On 5/23/2018 at 0:39 PM, JMich3 said:

Excellent!  I had similar problems with a new Glock 17 9mm shooting (also?) PMC Bronze 115 grain FMJ.  A few FTE.  I had done a cursory clean and lube before the first session but I believe a more thorough, top-to-bottom cleaning and lube was needed.  Since then, no problems, even with the PMC.

Lesson for everyone, a new gun needs to be stripped, cleaned down to the metal everywhere and lubed with the good stuff.   

• Like 1