Mrs. Peel

Dirty Jobs, Good Pay (article)

There's been a few threads on here about education and that not everyone needs a college degree. The country has a good number of "underemployed" college grads, yet many skilled manufacturing and construction openings sit empty.

This article talks about a number of programs and particularly focused on Mike Rowe. I was aware of his various TV programs and I've always found him to have a large dose of common sense... but until reading this article, I really had no idea about the level of his involvement in this issue. He has started (and otherwise supported) various skills training/apprenticeship programs that help put people to work. I was very impressed! He's a fine example of someone leveraging his own success and popularity to great effect. I thought some of you might enjoy reading this article, too:  https://www.city-journal.org/html/dirty-jobs-good-pay-15830.html

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

There's been a few threads on here about education and that not everyone needs a college degree. The country has a good number of "underemployed" college grads, yet many skilled manufacturing and construction openings sit empty.

The problem is, the country is missing a large part of the population who actually will do WORK. These new Snowflakes just want to show up and get paid, ask them to actually do something productive for the company and EARN their salary, you'd think they were asked to cut off an arm.

Working in manufacturing and construction actually means doing physical work. The new generation would rather sit in their cubicles and surf Fakebook, shop Amazon, text their friends, post selfies on Instagram, watch Youtube videos and make plans for lunch

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

The problem is, the country is missing a large part of the population who actually will do WORK. These new Snowflakes just want to show up and get paid, ask them to actually do something productive for the company and EARN their salary, you'd think they were asked to cut off an arm.

Working in manufacturing and construction actually means doing physical work. The new generation would rather sit in their cubicles and surf Fakebook, shop Amazon, text their friends, post selfies on Instagram, watch Youtube videos and make plans for lunch

Well, let's not paint with too broad a brush! I personally know some people in their 20's who really kick ass on their jobs and they are very goal-oriented.

But the article did (very sensitively, I thought) address the challenges of people from disadvantaged backgrounds... like kids in poor urban areas who maybe didn't benefit from a male role model in their life. So, they've actually built "values" into the program... like teaching the importance of punctuality, a good work ethic, a positive attitude, etc. So, a lot of this is about teaching those practical lessons that not everyone is fortunate enough to learn at home. It didn't sound like was the slightest bit snooty either though... just very grounded and pragmatic... very much like Mike Rowe himself, I guess, lol!

16 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Well, let's not paint with too broad a brush! I personally know some people in their 20's who really kick ass on their jobs and they are very goal-oriented.

But the article did (very sensitively, I thought) address the challenges of people from disadvantaged backgrounds... like kids in poor urban areas who maybe didn't benefit from a male role model in their life.

My brush is pretty broad in experience. I "own" three Millennial kids and know a ton of their friends. Most all come from solid, 2 parent, middle class or upper middle class families. I see a lot of "slackers" in their circle of friends, most who have 4 year degrees.

Plus my wife works for a large corporation who hires many entry level admins (at good salaries) with college degrees. She sees the slackers on a daily basis. One of the stand jokes we have (as sad as it is), the mindset of these kids is : "Hey, I actually showed up at the office today, now you want me to WORK too?".

36 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

The new generation would rather sit in their cubicles and surf Fakebook, shop Amazon, text their friends, post selfies on Instagram, watch Youtube videos and make plans for lunch

She sees this on a regular basis as she walks by their cubes, this is what's on their computer screens. Then at the end of the day, they complain they didn't get a project completed because they were just too busy....

On 5/22/2018 at 9:03 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

This article talks about a number of programs and particularly focused on Mike Rowe. I was aware of his various TV programs and I've always found him to have a large dose of common sense... but until reading this article, I really had no idea about the level of his involvement in this issue. He has started (and otherwise supported) various skills training/apprenticeship programs that help put people to work. I was very impressed! He's a fine example of someone leveraging his own success and popularity to great effect. I thought some of you might enjoy reading this article, too:  https://www.city-journal.org/html/dirty-jobs-good-pay-15830.html

Mike was featured on the most recent season of This Old House, where he hooked up a few trainees to help out on a major remodel with Norm and the gang.  They spent a good 4 months or so taking guidance on a ton of construction specialties.  If i had to do it all over again, I would learn a trade.  Luckily I came out of school debt free, but my daughter just got he BS in Marine Biology with a nice fat loan to deal with.  Almost as much as my house cost.  She is likely heading off to the Coast Guard officer training to unload that nut.

The only downside to the industry is getting undercut by cheap labor, but a tradesperson with a good head on their shoulders will never run out of work.

• Like 3

I think part of it is due to the push on us to go to college. As a result of telling a whole generation they have to go to college to become something, it left a huge gap in trade jobs.

One of my friends from high school skipped college, went to trade school, got an apprenticeship, then had his own heating/air conditioning repair company by 23.

I'm 24 and work my ass off.
That said, yes, we've been brainwashed into the idea that College is a must, since we were kids. My sister has her masters degree in social work (MSW) and makes less money than me, and will until (if) she opens her own practice, assuming all goes well.
I Had no college degree (JUST got my Associates in Business Administration), and sell home improvement goods online (eBay/Amazon) for a living.. I also do construction here and there because when my buddy needs help he can never find anyone willing to get dirty, and therefore pays me stupid amounts of money to come in and help. That's a few days a month at most, though.

The lack of tradesmen is insane. His full time guys make 200+ a day for 8 hour shifts... they are legal Mexican immigrants (have paperwork, kudos to them) who know a good bit but aren't GREAT or anything like that. Just your average construction workers.
Good luck finding a competent, good quality worker for under 250-300 a day nowadays..

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

I think part of it is due to the push on us to go to college. As a result of telling a whole generation they have to go to college to become something, it left a huge gap in trade jobs.

One of my friends from high school skipped college, went to trade school, got an apprenticeship, then had his own heating/air conditioning repair company by 23.

Just because everyone told you to goto college dosent mean you had to listen to them. You should have learned to think for your self.

If everyone told young jump off a bridge would you do it? 

If you answer yes be prepared for allot of people to recommnd a bridge

Jus sayen 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fishnut said:

Just because everyone told you to goto college dosent mean you had to listen to them. You should have learned to think for your self.

If everyone told young jump off a bridge would you do it? 

If you answer yes be prepared for allot of people to recommnd a bridge

Jus sayen 

And if you want to do forensic chemistry for a living....then yes, you have to go to college.

4 minutes ago, Greenday said:

And if you want to do forensic chemistry for a living....then yes, you have to go to college.

Well if you're following your dreams and don't complain about being in debt or everyone brainwashing you 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Well if you're following your dreams and don't complain about being in debt or everyone brainwashing you 

Only debt I have left is $5k on my car. But if people here can complain about people that aren't themselves, why can't I defend those people?

On 5/22/2018 at 9:51 PM, Sniper22 said:

My brush is pretty broad in experience. I "own" three Millennial kids and know a ton of their friends. Most all come from solid, 2 parent, middle class or upper middle class families. I see a lot of "slackers" in their circle of friends, most who have 4 year degrees.

Plus my wife works for a large corporation who hires many entry level admins (at good salaries) with college degrees. She sees the slackers on a daily basis. One of the stand jokes we have (as sad as it is), the mindset of these kids is : "Hey, I actually showed up at the office today, now you want me to WORK too?".

She sees this on a regular basis as she walks by their cubes, this is what's on their computer screens. Then at the end of the day, they complain they didn't get a project completed because they were just too busy....

2 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

Luckily I came out of school debt free, but my daughter just got he BS in Marine Biology with a nice fat loan to deal with.  Almost as much as my house cost.  She is likely heading off to the Coast Guard officer training to unload that nut.

Congrats on raising a hell of a kid. Wish her well and thank her for her upcoming service.

5 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

I'm 24 and work my ass off.
That said, yes, we've been brainwashed into the idea that College is a must, since we were kids. My sister has her masters degree in social work (MSW) and makes less money than me, and will until (if) she opens her own practice, assuming all goes well.
I Had no college degree (JUST got my Associates in Business Administration), and sell home improvement goods online (eBay/Amazon) for a living.. I also do construction here and there because when my buddy needs help he can never find anyone willing to get dirty, and therefore pays me stupid amounts of money to come in and help. That's a few days a month at most, though.

The lack of tradesmen is insane. His full time guys make 200+ a day for 8 hour shifts... they are legal Mexican immigrants (have paperwork, kudos to them) who know a good bit but aren't GREAT or anything like that. Just your average construction workers.
Good luck finding a competent, good quality worker for under 250-300 a day nowadays..

not just construction workers. i've been putting "feelers" out for awhile now. i'm pretty much at a point with my shop where i need another "me", but can't afford to pay full time...so looking for part timer to start, and as busines sets now, the position will more than likely go full time within 2 months.....but all i'm finding ia parts hangers. no one at my skill level is willing to start part time..........

9 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

not just construction workers. i've been putting "feelers" out for awhile now. i'm pretty much at a point with my shop where i need another "me", but can't afford to pay full time...so looking for part timer to start, and as busines sets now, the position will more than likely go full time within 2 months.....but all i'm finding ia parts hangers. no one at my skill level is willing to start part time..........

Where is your shop? A very good friend of mine might be looking for a change. His is expecting his first child and is sick of commuting to BMW of Manhattan every day from banger PA. 

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

Where is your shop? A very good friend of mine might be looking for a change. His is expecting his first child and is sick of commuting to BMW of Manhattan every day from banger PA. 

i'm all the way down in cherry hill

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'm all the way down in cherry hill

That't even further for him, nevermind. To bad he's probably the type of guy your looking for and pro 2A to top it off.