Mrs. Peel

California seeks to expand its "red flag" law...

I have a lot of concerns about these new "red flag" gun violence restraining orders that have cropped up in several states -- too many to list here!  

One of my concerns may be coming to fruition already... specifically, that the "categories" of people who can set the wheels in motion to strip someone of their rights will just get expanded... and expanded... and expanded, over time. Sure enough, in California, now they're talking about letting school personnel, employers, and even co-workers generate these orders. It's hard for me to imagine this ever-growing list of potential accusers isn't going to be ripe for abuse. What about the aggressive co-worker who's vying for the same promotion/partnership...? Or that diehard anti-2A teacher who HATES the fact that you give rifle instruction to the Boy Scouts? Or didn't appreciate your "attitude" at the last parent-teacher conference? Yeah, just like there's always going to be madmen (it's part of the human condition), there's also always going to be vindictive people who do things for their own gain or just to be jerks. There WILL be abuses with these laws. I feel it's inevitable. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/california-schools-co-workers-red-flag-dangerous-gun-owners_us_5b044fdce4b003dc7e4700f7

Though I can fully appreciate the need to identify and stop a potential mass killer, I'm not convinced this is the right way to do it... and I just feel like there's something really sleazy and "gestapo-like" about this approach. Co-workers being encouraged to snitch on co-workers...? Yeah, like that's going to help bring our divided country together! :facepalm:  

• Like 3

firmly believe this is what's happening from lack of voter turn out.  It mat be that Calif. is too far gone but you can't convince me that is everywhere.  I continue to hear griping and bitching from people who don't vote.  And probably still won't.  I continue to believe if these people can be motivated in our upcoming mid-term elections we can still escape some of this madness for a while until we get rid of Murphy.  The national picture has to wait for Ginsberg to die.  our 2A gun support organizations (including NRA) might find some billboards on the highways promoting this money well spent.  Not even mentioning who sponsored the ads or promote any one candidate.        

BAD POLITICIANS ARE ELECTED BY GOOD PEOPLE THAT DON'T VOTE    

• Like 3

Welcome to North Korea where people are encouraged to turn in their neighbors.  You missed the flip side of this.  When some are forced to turn in their guns, they will likely keep one unregistered one to take out the government informant - and their families.  This will not end well.  SCOTUS needs to address this BS quickly.

1 hour ago, Howard said:

Welcome to North Korea where people are encouraged to turn in their neighbors.  You missed the flip side of this.  When some are forced to turn in their guns, they will likely keep one unregistered one to take out the government informant - and their families.  This will not end well.  SCOTUS needs to address this BS quickly.

Well, you've brought up my biggest objection to these laws. Once again, they're focusing on the TOOL and not the OPERATOR...!

Think about it... if they're doing a restraining order because they believe the person is suicidal... well then, you just sent them home to a house full of knives, pills, ropes, etc. How much sense does that make?

And if the restraining order is because you think the person is murderous, well... same problem... you're sending them home AND...?  Now they actually have a reason to be ticked off! And they can use their car or truck to mow people down, buy fertilizer and make a bomb, hell... they can pick up a 5 gallon can of gasoline and a book of matches! A determined killer can wreak horrible devastation on their "enemies" (real or perceived) all without a gun.

That's why I think these laws are just a gun-grab as opposed to a sincere attempt to stop problems. If they really want to help mentally ill people, they'd take a hard look at rolling back certain aspects of HIPAA and other mental health laws - which have gone much too far IMO protecting the privacy of someone experiencing mental problems to the point where even loving family members are kept in the dark on the extent of their problems. And if they were serious, they'd also be talking about doubling the number of psych beds in this country (because, true fact, we have fewer now than we did in the 1950's!) Unless they're discussing things like that... they're not at all serious about this issue. These emergency orders are nothing but a backdoor attempt to chip away at the 2nd Amendment. That's how I see it. 

• Like 3

It’s the way society has gone. Treat the symptoms and don’t worry about the cure. It’s why we have to take our shoes off to fly and why we’re moving statues around. We ban words, actions and ideas instead of correcting through education. I believe this causes a suppression that cumulates to anger and finally rage causing the emotional blow ups. These emotional blow ups turn into shooters and trucks driving down sidewalks. Our fix is take away legal guns and put up concrete barriers on walkways instead of addressing the root cause and correcting it. 

• Like 1