Lambo2936

Safes at/around low 1k's

Hey folks. I'm certain this discussion has been had a million times, but i'm speshul, so... Anyhow, i'll likely be selling my stack on and going for something a bit bigger. I believe my stack on is like a 36+6 or 30+6 or something like that.
Would like something a bit bigger and maybe sealed better as (unfortunately) the safe will be going in the basement, most likely. I Know stack on makes relatively inexpensive waterproof safes but i'm not so sure how well it'll do.
I will likely be selling my current one and going for a bigger one. Basement is a walk-in so itll be easy with some help to roll the new safe right in.
If you know of any special deals or anything, let me know. Considered just getting a 2nd safe but would prefer a single large one.

Pretty is a plus, Current safe has a camo interior and nice design to the exterior, as well.. lol

Was looking at liberty safes but they seem a bit out of my budget. Perhaps i'm better off just getting a cabinet for ammo and putting only long guns and such in my current safe.. 
Any storage suggestions that'll hold and keep secure a bunch of ammo, accessories, sights, etc?

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Start here.

In addition to safes, he also reviews alternative storage methods. I have a Koblalt job box from Lowes that's great for ammo and accessory storage. Although there's no reason you couldn't keep firearms in it.

Yeah im thinking i'll just find a cheaper alternative for the ammo and accessories (sights, etc.) that i currently keep in the one half of my safe, and make do. I have a little metal mini job box i currently use, and a buddy of mine has a nice sized one i'm sure he'd be ok with me using. The issue was simply floor space, as i'd rather not store ammo in the garage (Though i guess the basement wouldn't be much better..).
Once we move i think i'll have to see how much space we really have and move forward from there. The Gladiator cabinets i have likely wont hold enough on a shelf for me to stick a few cases on it. Might have to make do with putting the ammo on the bottom shelf or something and using the rest for other miscellaneous 2A-related goodies.
Storing ammo and firearms in a basemend is sort of a no-no, right?
It's somewhat climate controlled and is a walk out but its likely to have typical SNJ humidity issues in there... and its like over 3,000 sqft so no humidifier will control the moisture issue properly. Likely going to hook up the commercial unit i have in there, though.

My safe and ammo are all in my basement. I have a dehumidifier and can easily keep the humidity at 60% or less, so I'm OK. 10 years in and no issues. For extra measure I do have renewable desiccant in the safe just to be sure. The brass ammo could care less.

If by chance you get a Kobalt box, PM me for the correct padlock model to lock it with. You need a pair of them and it was a circus a year ago to find the one that works properly. The 2x4 box holds a ton of stuff. It doesn't come with a shelf but there are interior ledges that could support one if I made it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

My safe and ammo are all in my basement. I have a dehumidifier and can easily keep the humidity at 60% or less, so I'm OK. 10 years in and no issues. For extra measure I do have renewable desiccant in the safe just to be sure. The brass ammo could care less.

If by chance you get a Kobalt box, PM me for the correct padlock model to lock it with. You need a pair of them and it was a circus a year ago to find the one that works properly. The 2x4 box holds a ton of stuff. It doesn't come with a shelf but there are interior ledges that could support one if I made it.

Will do.

I Should have access to a few nice RIDGID job boxes, too, that i forgot about. I don't think my buddy would mind me taking one of those, either.. the full size ones. The one i initally mentioned is mini, maybe 1'x2' or like 1.5'x3' or something. The one i have now is about 1'x2' and is a cute little thing we found for free at the swap meet, but its not as secure as id like, plus i still have stuff in the safe i want to take out like the sights and such. Probably wont fit and if it does it'll be extremely disorganized.

Just in case anyone else gets a Kobalt box, the correct locks are not a secret of state. They are here at Lowes, and $9 cheaper than at Amazon.

If I was going to store firearms in it, I'd probably get the 5' model to provide for really long guns. The 4' holds an amazing amount of ammo.

You could always go with a used safe; https://www.lackasafe.com/ . I purchased from them a few years ago and was very happy. In looking them up for this post I see they've had some problems. Looks like they're under new ownership now. I went there and bought/picked up direct myself since I have a truck.