lilred121986

Might Be Moving To North Carolina Next Spring

ME and my cousin are looking to move to a FREE state! And i love it down in NC when we were there for vaca. So WE are planning to find a house to rent around wilson NC area. Any Tips For me for when we get out of the commie state. Anybody need to pass notes over the wall ;-) hehe. What do i NEED to know before moving to NC and Go :-) Thanks yall

NC isn't that safe from crime either. I've been researching for months now, looking at the Chapel Hill area currently. Found this site  https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are-the-10-worst-states-in-america/ and it's caused me to want to be even more cautious where I/we go. 
All cities have their bad areas. Chapel Hill though has plenty of nice areas. Wilson not so much. You want a nice area look at Lake Gaston or the Outer Banks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

North Carolina is a nice state to retire in. The South West corner is beatiful as is the outer banks. I would never want to raise kids there the public schools are terrible. Not just north carolina all of the southern states public schools suck. I guess it would not be a bad place to live if you don't have any kids or or want any. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fishnut said:

North Carolina is a nice state to retire in. The South West corner is beatiful as is the outer banks. I would never want to raise kids there the public schools are terrible. Not just north carolina all of the southern states public schools suck. I guess it would not be a bad place to live if you don't have any kids or or want any. 

That is a generality that is far from accurate.  I am moving to Florida, specifically St John's county which has the best schools in Florida.  In fact according to Wikipedia the county has three of the best schools in the entire country.  Part of that might be attributed to the make-up of the county.  While the school district is #1 out of 67 in the state, it ranks 65 out of 67 in DIVERSITY :)  Guess the liberals have not moved there ;)  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Howard said:

That is a generality that is far from accurate.  I am moving to Florida, specifically St John's county which has the best schools in Florida.  In fact according to Wikipedia the county has three of the best schools in the entire country.  Part of that might be attributed to the make-up of the county.  While the school district is #1 out of 67 in the state, it ranks 65 out of 67 in DIVERSITY :)  Guess the liberals have not moved there ;)  

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education/prek-12

I'm sure it' possable to find good schools in the south but there are also ALLOT of bad schools that bring down the averages. If we're talking about an overall State and not one specific small region all of the South lacks in education

• Like 2

Property is very expensive in the better school districts, but they are here. Also, while some of the schools perform poorly overall, they can be very strong at the top. My high school was middling, but had enormous resources from 6k students that allowed me to take 3x the AP courses than some of the better schools (I took 14, much more were available that I didn't take). If you were a high performing student, then you could get a quality education.

You aren't going to find huge amounts of cheap land near great public schools anywhere in the country. people with kids tend to buy a separate, "farm" property that is a whopping one hour away. These will obviously be closer and cheaper than any available farm properties in NJ.

I won't get into the reasons why there are terrible schools at the bottom in the south that bring down the averages or why that bottom is so large. It's really a whole separate thread.

That is a generality that is far from accurate.  I am moving to Florida, specifically St John's county which has the best schools in Florida.  In fact according to Wikipedia the county has three of the best schools in the entire country.  Part of that might be attributed to the make-up of the county.  While the school district is #1 out of 67 in the state, it ranks 65 out of 67 in DIVERSITY [emoji4]  Guess the liberals have not moved there [emoji6]  

Agreed some of the best schools are in the South. You have kids and you want them in a good school you move to that district or there is private schools. New Orleans schools are terrible, but anyone with money sends their kids to a private school which is one of the best in the country. The savings on property tax may get offset by private school but education is better than a NJ public school.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, tjs3023 said:

NC isn't that safe from crime either. I've been researching for months now, looking at the Chapel Hill area currently. Found this site  https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are-the-10-worst-states-in-america/ and it's caused me to want to be even more cautious where I/we go. 

Take it with a large grain of salt...it rates New Jersey as #4 best...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Take it with a large grain of salt...it rates New Jersey as #4 best...

Yes, I agree that's why I linked the site so people can do their own research. It's just too far to run down for a weekend to look around so I'm trying to learn as much as I can now. We'd try Pa. but we want the warmer climate.

Chapel Hill is a college town so be careful with that. Best 4 years of my life were there so not trying to discourage you, but it is super liberal and hipster. Super expensive.

my senior year they quit running buses from Durham to chapel Hill and that cut down on the crime significantly. Prior to that you didn't want to go off the beaten path. The senior class president was murdered as part of a gang initiation. A lot of my friends knew her and it was devastating for the university. They ramped up police presence to one of the highest in the country after.