45Doll

Professional Gun Cleaners Come To You

Well here's a novel idea. A company in northern Virginia now offers to come to your home to 'professionally' clean your firearms. That apparently means a full detail strip and cleaning regardless of make and model. The concept itself raises a couple interesting questions, but the bottom line of the reviewer is that they clean firearms really well. It is pricey as you might expect. Of course it will never work out in the PRNJ, but depending on someone's time and talent I think it may work elsewhere.

High Caliber Weapons Detailing

WoW! So at $40 per handgun and $55 per long gun, if you had say a small collection of 10. Five rifles and five handguns, that would cost you $475.00. I don't care how much money I had, I would NEVER be that lazy!

Besides, I actually enjoy detail cleaning my guns after a range session. It's part of the hobby. The first thing I do when I get a new gun is take it apart, clean, lube and reassemble. It's great fun!:)

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

It's great fun!

Just like getting root canal...

15 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Cleaning gun is dumb and I hate it

I agree, me too..

I compare it to going fishing in salt water, and after coming back in after the day, having to flush down and clean the entire boat. A necessary evil, but a pain in the ass.

• Like 2

I'll only comment on the pricing:  $40/$55 doesn't feel that bad, depending on the level of cleaning and quality of materials used (lube types, application, etc.)  When it's all said and done that's about an hourly rate, excluding travel time.

I understand wanting to take a gun apart and see how it works.  Regular "detail stripping" is not needed.  Even if you have the correct tools and know how to do it eventually some damage will be done.  The only time a gun needs to be taken apart is if it's broken.

Everytime I've ever taken a gun apart to repair I've always test fired it before that gun would be put back in service.  Yes, there are function checks that don't involve live fire shooting.  Nothing function checks as well as shooting it though.  For that reason alone I would never use that service.

• Like 2

Government front.  Federal LEOs posing as "gun cleaners" with the intent to ascertain the type, quantity and legality of your personal firearms as well as any other glenable information pertinent to their end goal of complete confiscation and the disarmament of the American people.   Clear as day folks....what?.....you don't see it?   Open your eyes people.  My double layer tin foil hat is securely in place.

Anyway,  I don't clean my guns....I don't have any. 

• Like 3

On 5/27/2018 at 11:39 AM, High Exposure said:

Cleaning guns is dumb and I hate it but I’m not paying someone else to touch them.

Agreed, I derive no satisfaction from it but it's a necessary evil.  It's tantamount \ enjoying washing clothes you played basketball in.   

Come on now. Tell me you don’t put a magnet on the switch in your washing machine so you can watch the clothes swish and swash back and forth. Better than watching Walking Dead repeats... lmao.
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, blksheep said:

Ever see some cops guns?

I used to make people clean their guns at the range before they left.  We did have facilities with which you could clean a handgun in about 5 minutes. 

I was well supported by management with this policy.

A clean gun is a happy gun and a happy gun will take care of you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I used to make people clean their guns at the range before they left.  We did have facilities with which you could clean a handgun in about 5 minutes. 

I was well supported by management with this policy.

I hear ya.  Like I'm sure you have, I have almost seen all types of extremes on both sides. From WTF dirt, to "You cleaned it with what?!"

On 5/27/2018 at 11:11 PM, sota said:

I'll only comment on the pricing:  $40/$55 doesn't feel that bad, depending on the level of cleaning and quality of materials used (lube types, application, etc.)  When it's all said and done that's about an hourly rate, excluding travel time.

Exactly. People often spend $20 to have their car go through a car wash and that takes just a few minutes.  Washing a car is not difficult, but people pay others to do it. Mowing a lawn is not difficult, and has to be done frequently, and people pay $20-$45 for each cut (depending on the service and size of the lawn).  Can I clean my gun? Yes. Do I enjoy it? Not really.  Is the thought of a person paying $40-$50 for a professional cleaning where they come to your house crazy? Not at all IMO.  This isn't for those who enjoy cleaning their guns or are financially strapped.  It's for those who can afford it and don't like the tedious task of cleaning a gun. I don't think the idea or the service is far-fetched at all.

18 hours ago, Bighungry618 said:

Government front.  Federal LEOs posing as "gun cleaners" with the intent to ascertain the type, quantity and legality of your personal firearms as well as any other glenable information pertinent to their end goal of complete confiscation and the disarmament of the American people.   Clear as day folks....what?.....you don't see it?   Open your eyes people.  My double layer tin foil hat is securely in place.

Anyway,  I don't clean my guns....I don't have any. 

2b9p1t.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bhunted said:

Come on now. Tell me you don’t put a magnet on the switch in your washing machine so you can watch the clothes swish and swash back and forth. Better than watching Walking Dead repeats... lmao.
emoji23.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a front loader.  That idea would be... bad.

5 minutes ago, sota said:

I have a front loader.  That idea would be... bad.

With a window? If so, even better. Put a chair in front, have a seat, enjoy the Laundry Channel. lol

1 hour ago, TripleD said:

Exactly. People often spend $20 to have their car go through a car wash and that takes just a few minutes.  Washing a car is not difficult, but people pay others to do it. Mowing a lawn is not difficult, and has to be done frequently, and people pay $20-$45 for each cut (depending on the service and size of the lawn).  Can I clean my gun? Yes. Do I enjoy it? Not really.  Is the thought of a person paying $40-$50 for a professional cleaning where they come to your house crazy? Not at all IMO.  This isn't for those who enjoy cleaning their guns or are financially strapped.  It's for those who can afford it and don't like the tedious task of cleaning a gun. I don't think the idea or the service is far-fetched at all.

Good example, except I only have 1 lawn and 1 car to maintain. I lost the rest of my lawns and cars in a tragic boating accident, officer.

Joking aside, I get that neither owning 20+ guns nor paying for them to be professionally cleaned is for someone who is financially strapped. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BobA said:

Now wait a minute everyone.  Let's not be hasty.  Perhaps if we expand on this idea @45Doll might have something.  Maybe if we merge his idea with the following......:

https://housekeeper.com/housekeepers/everywhere/adult-ad

Now you'd be talking!!

That's fine with me. But who's going to clean my wife's pistols???

Actually, the thing that got my interest was having someone available do a full detail strip (annually?) of pistols I'm not comfortable doing. I'm good taking Glocks, Sigs, and some HKs all the way down. But there's others I'm unfamiliar with, and haven't been able to get to an armorer's course. 

The after-range normal cleanup is something I wouldn't pay for.

3 hours ago, BobA said:

Now wait a minute everyone.  Let's not be hasty.  Perhaps if we expand on this idea @45Doll might have something.  Maybe if we merge his idea with the following......:

https://housekeeper.com/housekeepers/everywhere/adult-ad

Now you'd be talking!!

yup, regret clicking that at work...

9 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Really? Like with a "happy ending" or something?

3 hours ago, 45Doll said:

https://www.cubcleaners.com/the-cubs/

You set yourself up for that one, way too easy. :)

I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again. For the most part, you can see different generations of people with their own thinking of how things get done. These days they are lazy and at times, looking for excuses not yo do something.

When I was a kid growing up, my dad said, “Always take care of your tools, they are your bread and butter”. Along with always take care of your vehicle. You need to get to your job. Every weekend we were washing and polishing our cars whether dirty or not.
We did our own maint because it was easy then.

In any event, to this day, if I use my sockets or other tools, they get wiped down and properly put away. In fact, every AAA Certified mechanic I knew, does the same thing today. There is nothing wrong with cleaning your tools/toys, etc. I’d like to think you clean your manhood after each sexual encounter, no? [emoji6]

I don’t want to clean anything, but it is my duty to make sure everything is clean, lubed and ready to rock. Maybe I’m a lil obsessive, (my boy says I’m more anal than the Marines), but its just me. Try tell a Gunny that they are not up to par. Lol...

So clean them or not. Everyone has their reasons. I believe taking care of your stuff is important. I’m proud to say my weapons are top notch and they have never failed me in all the decades of me owning them. At least not for keeping them clean.[emoji16][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Actually, the thing that got my interest was having someone available do a full detail strip (annually?) of pistols I'm not comfortable doing. I'm good taking Glocks, Sigs, and some HKs all the way down. But there's others I'm unfamiliar with, and haven't been able to get to an armorer's course. 

The after-range normal cleanup is something I wouldn't pay for.

@45Doll there is no need to do a "full detail strip" if the gun isn't broken.

I have a Combat Commander I bought in 1975 and carried for about 10 years. The first time it had a "full detail strip" was 25 years and at least 20,000 rds later.  The hammer was dropping to half cock. Had the gun rebuilt.  A few internal parts and springs were replaced.

I have my Glocks 26 over 20 years.  Still runs fine with only normal cleaning.  The last time it was apart was when it was manufactured.

I've seen guns during my over 40 in the military clogged with sand, mud, quicksand and anything you can think of.  I'm talking M16s, M4s, 1911s, M9s, revolvers, and anything the Army has used up to a 50 cal since the 60s.  Field strip,  rinse with water, use WD40 to displace the water, solvent to remove the WD40, and then clean conventionally.  Blow out with air between steps if you had it.  You only needed a deuce and a half to supply the compressed air.

When I oversaw several hundred semiautomatics and revolvers there was inspection every qualification quarterly.  An extra step for revolvers is once a year I would remove the sideplate, flush out any garbage with gunscrubber, and lube with CLP or Drislide.

I don't know where people got this idea a gun needs a "full detail strip" on a regular basis.