Greenday

Number of Rounds per Range Trip

I'm curious as to how many rounds you guys fire when you go to the range? My wife and I usually go through 100 rounds each. While this sounds like a fair amount to me, it goes so quick. Especially firing a .22 the ammo is cheap. It feels like we are in and out so quick.

• Like 1

I believe it's all based on Caliber and what you're doing.  Fun or serious.

I've burned a 525 brick of .22 and hundreds of 9mm/38/45, etc in one outing.

That said, If I'm sighting in one of my large bore rifles, I'll rarely shoot more than 30 rounds in an outing.

If I'm shooting clays, I don't tend to shoot more than 4 boxes(i.e. 100rnds) at any given outing but I've done as much as 6 and paid for it the next day, so I avoid that unless we're really having a blast.

Depends on what I'm doing.

Bolt action rifle, practicing slow and careful marksmanship? I might use only 50 rounds in an hour.

Just plinking with my AR? I could use 300 rounds.

Taking my 357 out for a spin? I might only use 25 rounds.

Busting clays with my 12 gauge? Somewhere between 100 to 200 shells.

I guess it also depends on my mood. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Depends on what I'm doing.

Bolt action rifle, practicing slow and careful marksmanship? I might use only 50 rounds in an hour.

Just plinking with my AR? I could use 300 rounds.

Taking my 357 out for a spin? I might only use 25 rounds.

Busting clays with my 12 gauge? Somewhere between 100 to 200 shells.

I guess it also depends on my mood. [emoji4]

That sounds about right. Except I rarely shoot shotgun anymore. I have too many rifles I haven't even fired yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That sounds about right. Except I rarely shoot shotgun anymore. I have too many rifles I haven't even fired yet.

[emoji16] I like variety so I mix it up a lot. Probably explains why I'm not a great shot with anything in particular!

Ammo is freaking expensive. As such, I try to avoid “ballistic masturbation” as much as possible. That being said, I bring enough ammo to accomplish my shooting objective for that session/day/class. 

Sometimes that is a specific goal. Usually that goal is self improvement:

• Work on improving 25 yard accuracy

• Work on manipulations

• Work on malfunction reductions

• Work on split times or multiple targets

• Work on the skills required to pass a specific qualification or test, etc...

Sometimes the goal is to coach others:

• Turning a new person onto the shooting sports

• Working with an experienced shooter to improve - @Mrs. Peel and I worked on shooting cadence and rhythm drills last week

Sometimes the goal is just to have fun - like the shotgun meet ups where your just having fun and blasting clays and shooting .22.

A lot of times, it’s a some combo of the above.

In my opinion, ultimately, you should practice to be better tomorrow than you were yesterday. Without that mindset you are simply turning money into noise - which is OK sometimes, but if that’s the norm it puts quite a strain on your training budget with no personal improvement to show for it.

I try to have a plan for what I want to work on before each range trip. Then I go to my training book (when I take a course from another instructor, or find a drill I like I record it in a book and keep a copy with my range stuff) and I find drills that will help me work on that skill set. Then I bring enough ammo to cover my drills plus a little bit more.

For a typical 1 hour indoor pistol range session, I grab 2 or 3 drills plus a warm up/cool down (I currently really like the Consistency Drill from Aaron Baruga to start and end my range sessions) and around ~ 200 rounds. That’s ~ 150 rounds for the brought drills, plus ~50 for unplanned events, ie: buddy wants to try my gun, or I am having malfunctions and need to trouble shoot, or my practice on one skill uncovers a deficiency with somethng else and I need to work it.

If I don’t need those extra 50 rounds, I try not to shoot them. If I’m bringing a new shooter I double whatever I’m bringing to cover them. 

If I am shooting longer than an hour, or if I am working on multiple guns, I plan accordingly but in the same manner. If I am taking a course, I bring 50% over what the started course requirements are.

Also, keep in mind that there is a point of diminishing returns when practicing or training. You shouldn’t end a typical range session exhausted and shooting like shit. You want to end just past your peak performance. If you continue too far past that point, you are only practice bad technique and sloppy shooting. How you perform at the end will replace any good reps you did earlier and actually degrade what you worked on. Don’t end your session being pissed at your poor performance and feeling down. End on a high note - shooting well and feeing good.

Train for success - and remember: Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only proper practice of perfection makes perfect.

• Like 5

Hmmm... I wouldn't call myself an experienced shooter necessarily, still feel very newb-esque... LOL. However, I do seem to have a most excellent ability to select great instructors! I'm developing a small cadre of them. :D

Luv ya, @High Exposure 

52 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

To summarize what @High Exposure said it's not the number of rounds you shoot, it's what you learn from shooting them.

I find it amusing when people say they spent a couple of hours at the range and went through 1000 rds.  All they accomplished was sending lead downrange.

Yup. And probably created a few bad habits.

It is the quality of your practice that determines improvement. Not the quantity of rounds fired in a single session.

Once I get my FID, I want to find other people to shoot with. Yesterday was about just feeling out my new rifle. Next time will be adjusting my red dot.

Pretty sure I can't go to the range with someone else and bring my rifle since it belongs to my wife.

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Ammo is freaking expensive.

Then you picked the wrong profession :)

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

I find it amusing when people say they spent a couple of hours at the range and went through 1000 rds.  All they accomplished was sending lead downrange.

That can be fun sometimes, too, ya know...

10 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

It is the quality of your practice that determines improvement. Not the quantity of rounds fired in a single session.

Very true, but not all of us depend on that skill for use during our day job. I just want to be sure I can take down a tweaker who decides to wander into my house in the middle of the night.

12 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Once I get my FID, .....  

Pretty sure I can't go to the range with someone else and bring my rifle since it belongs to my wife.

Wait, that doesn't make sense.

On 5/7/2018 at 4:00 PM, Greenday said:

As far as optics go, my wife doesn't care about adding anything to her M9A1 (at least at the moment). I, on the other hand, would like to add onto my 15-22.

You originally said it was YOUR rifle?

Now, who does it belong to, if you don't have a FID?

fishing trip.

that said........usually somewhere between 8 and a couple hundred.

and wait....didn't you say somewhere else you hadn't been to the range yet?

41 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Once I get my FID, I want to find other people to shoot with. Yesterday was about just feeling out my new rifle. Next time will be adjusting my red dot.

you're here in nj, right? how'd you get your new rifle without your fPid?

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Very true, but not all of us depend on that skill for use during our day job. I just want to be sure I can take down a tweaker who decides to wander into my house in the middle of the night.

Hey, if you figured out how pick your bad guy before a gunfight, let me know.

I know a whole bunch of guys that would be interested in how you do it. 

Whether you use a gun for defense, fun, or sport - there will always be someone better than you out there.

The overriding goal of practice (in any activity) should be to get better regardless of your discipline. You should never feel you have become “good enough”, if you do you are lying to yourself. There is always something to get better at.

• Like 1

Most that go through a huge number of rounds at the range are simply converting dollars to noise.  Think about what you are trying to accomplish and do drills to work on those results.  

• Like 2

You originally said it was YOUR rifle?

Now, who does it belong to, if you don't have a FID?

It's my wife's but I'm the only one who uses it. I only use it when we are together so as to follow the law, then when I get my ID we'll transfer it. I refer to it as mine as I'm the primary user but legally hers. I can only use it when she's with me and I will never use it otherwise until I have my FID.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Most that go through a huge number of rounds at the range are simply converting dollars to noise.  Think about what you are trying to accomplish and do drills to work on those results.  
Hey! Maybe I LIKE converting dollars to noise! 🤣🤣

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Greenday said:

It's my wife's but I'm the only one who uses it. I only use it when we are together so as to follow the law, then when I get my ID we'll transfer it. I refer to it as mine as I'm the primary user but legally hers. I can only use it when she's with me and I will never use it otherwise until I have my FID.

Correction. You can only use it when you're with her at the range.

Almost sounds like a straw purchase.

• Like 2

Correction. You can only use it when you're with her at the range.

Almost. But as I said, I can only use it at the range under her supervision until I get my FID.

Today I went and shot 20 rounds. I was gathering data to find an accuracy node.  

Sometimes I'll go and shoot 100 (that's a lot for me).  I've shot more in a class.  But 100 is a bunch.  My neck, shoulders, back and eyes get tired.  That's when it's time to stop.  I will say that the "quality" of glass changes that a bunch.  

I'm primarily (trying to) shooting precision rifle... precisely.  It's not easy.  At least not for me.  

I've gone thru 350 rounds of .357 in a snubby in an hour on a Christmas Eve shooting by myself on the range.  It happens fast.  Handguns burn ammo.  Lots of it.  At least mine do.  However I rarely shoot them.  I will run a few cylinders thru my primary revolver every other month but I don't find it to be all that enjoyable.  I'd rather shoot as far and small as I can.  Generally I don't do either.

I don't own a shotgun, so...  :ninja:

• Like 1

I usually go through 200-250 rounds when I go handgun shooting.  I'll bring 3 or 4 handguns - sometimes I go "platform" shooting (only bring various 1911s, Beretta's or revolvers for example), sometimes it's single caliber, sometimes 1 from column A and 1 from column B, etc.

Still about the same number of rounds regardless of what I bring.  I practice various target drills and always try to end on a good grouping.  I have my favorites and usually bring at least one that I don't shoot as well as the others so I can work on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silverado427 said:

:rolleyes: 

Unless he is a prohibited person, it is nothing like a straw purchase.

Jesus, some of you are like a bunch of old farts. You give the kid a hard time because he hasn’t posted much range and shooting type stuff. You told him he’s a new shooter and he should post some questions to get the most from this forum.

So, he posts range stuff and you jump all over him, pick him apart on what you think are technicalities. 

Red or Blue, Baby Boomer, Gen X, or Millennial - it doesn’t fucking matter.

He’s a fellow gun owner for Christ’s sake, and a new one at that. Like it or not, that makes him one of us.

Knock it off for fuck’s sake.

This is a perfect opportunity to mentor a young shooter, but some of you are out for blood so bad you are going to miss the opportunity because you are acting like a bunch of liberal douchebags.

We’re supposed to be better than that.

Shame on some of you. 

Eat our own indeed. :facepalm: 

• Like 7

When I started, I really enjoyed converting dollars to noise, and did so with gusto.  Looking back, I guess I have always been a .22/rimfire guy, I just didn't know it enough to get serious about it until the last few years.  There were days when I would bring two $17 bricks with me and go through all 1000-1050 rounds in my bolt action .22.  The reactive wooden targets I used to chip away at, piece by piece, were a lot of fun, and I still miss those to this day. 

These days, I have gotten more into precision, so a lot less shooting, but making each shot count a lot more.  (Except handguns.  I just suck with them. Spray & pray is a valid shooting tactic, right? :rolleyes:)  Depending on what I bring out, I might only shoot 150 combined rounds in a day, or I might go through 500+ combined rounds.  Ammo costs are always a concern, and my broke ass also can't keep feeding 1000 round range days of the good stuff, if I even wanted to shoot that much in a day.  That said, I still do enjoy a good ammo dump on occasion...just with the cheap stuff...

The other issue is time.  For me, up until recently, my range was a ~50 minute drive one way.  Now that I have a hunting license, I can shoot rimfire rifles at a range 25 minutes away, which will allow me to go more often and/or feel less like I HAVE to make the most of my time at the range.  I can't do everything I would do at my primary range (like centerfire rifle or any handgun), but since I have been concentrating on .22 rifles at 100yds recently, it is perfect for me.

• Like 1

I go to the range mainly to blow off steam and to see how accurate I can be with iron sights, which to me is hitting the target. I don't care about MOA or any particular sport type shooting. If I can hit the target I can hit a man. The only time I am practicing is handgun and with my carry / go to ones which is my Beretta .40, Ruger Service Six .357 and Iver Johnson Pony .380. That is for making sure I can make a shot when it matters most. Those days I will only bring those 3. Otherwise I am there to have fun, which I guess is making noise and blowing through rounds.

Like the old saying goes:  It's not how many rounds you shoot,  but what you do with the ones you shot.

You can do a lot with just 50 rounds, and do NOTHING with 250.

• Like 1