Greenday

Number of Rounds per Range Trip

Sometimes a box of 12 ga. is all of the practice that I require.  Sometimes I mentor without firing a shot.  Sometimes I run friends thru drills and shoot almost a box of pistol ammo.  If I practice with black powder pistol I shoot 13 balls and the best 10 count for score.  Black powder rifle is a 20 shot COF.  Quantity isn't the goal when you get older.  QUALITY is.  When ya "knock the rust off" & start performing well, that's the time to move on to a different drill, different platform, (hand gun, rifle or scattergun) OR light the charcoal grill & make cheeseburgers :)   Turning money into noise was never a thing with me.  I'd rather buy an extra Oliva series V cigar than waste money on too much practice.

Your mileage may vary.............

• Like 1

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Hey, if you figured out how pick your bad guy before a gunfight, let me know.

I know a whole bunch of guys that would be interested in how you do it. 

I don't get too many "uninvited" guests wandering around in my house at 2 AM. Do you?

They're pretty easy to spot (and hit) at short range.

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

The overriding goal of practice (in any activity) should be to get better regardless of your discipline. You should never feel you have become “good enough”, if you do you are lying to yourself. There is always something to get better at.

Not really concerned with doing a "One Hole" drill at that time of the morning. I figure, anything hitting the torso will get my point across, right? That's why I have lasers on all my HD handguns

Yes, and I believe "practice makes perfect", so I'm aware of that too. But at the end of the day, like I said above, this isn't my daily profession like yours, it's just a fun hobby and sport for me. I'm not trying to win any competitions (although I beat my sons every time we have a competition at the range.

4 hours ago, Howard said:

Most that go through a huge number of rounds at the range are simply converting dollars to noise. 

Just think, we're getting our maximum number of rounds per hour of range time. Plus lots of experience reloading mags. Want to see the size of my thumbs? :)

today i was light on the rounds. seeing as it's memorial day, i shot the garand, and the m1a. i'd have taken the 1903a3 too, but i didn't really have time to get it out.

most of my uncles fought with a garand or a m14. since i can't have an m14 in jersey....i got the m1a. shooting them was my weird tribute to my uncles and all of those around the world that did what they had to do to preserve these rights for me.

my shoulder's gonna hurt tomorrow, lol

40613863780_c0dbac065c_k.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

I don't get too many "uninvited" guests wandering around in my house at 2 AM. Do you?

No. But if I do, I can’t guarantee they aren’t real fighters or legit bad dudes with a will to win no matter what it takes (note I said win, not survive).

Unfortunately the above rarely holds true.

Not really concerned with doing a "One Hole" drill at that time of the morning. I figure, anything hitting the torso will get my point across, right? That's why I have lasers on all my HD handguns

Under stress, in a real use of force incident you can count on a 50% loss of ability at a minimum. A one hole drill at 7 yards at the range, on command, with no stress is not an unrealistic expectation if you want to put multiple rounds on a bad guy in a fight at room distances, on demand, and under a great deal of stress.

And no, not all hits are created equal. A round to the torso may not stop anyone, specially if you are using a hand gun which are notoriously bad at stopping determined attackers. You have to hit something important and usually you have to hit it more than once to stop a human.

I’ve locked up more than a few bad guys that have soaked up multiple rounds and were still walking around making trouble. 

As to the laser, you can’t fix a software problem with new hardware. Plus, they are less useful than most people think on handguns, unless you are shooting with NODs. You’re better off with an RMR type sight for what you want the laser for, in my experience.

Not trying to be argumentative, just throwing out a dose of reality based on what I have seen and experienced in the real world.

3 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

today i was light on the rounds. seeing as it's memorial day, i shot the garand, and the m1a. i'd have taken the 1903a3 too, but i didn't really have time to get it out.

most of my uncles fought with a garand or a m14. since i can't have an m14 in jersey....i got the m1a. shooting them was my weird tribute to my uncles and all of those around the world that did what they had to do to preserve these rights for me.

I'm jealous. I got to fire the M1 Garand once at a range in Pennsylvania. My first time really getting some shots in. Let me try a bunch of different guns working my way up to it. I loved everything about it. The look, the feel. Felt so solid. And firing it, you really feel the power. Felt like I could shred my target in half. It was such a joy.

With my .22 I enjoy shooting for accuracy. Trying to get my groupings tighter each time. With pistols, I try to be more practical. I don't shoot beyond 10 yards because for self-defense, most use would be in that range. Last time I tried a compact Glock 19, I was complete garbage beyond 7 yards and barely adequate at 5. After firing .22s with a rifle which feels like nothing, moving up in ammo size, albeit still only 9mm, and using a much smaller gun the kick is drastically different.

i'm actually much more accurate with the m1a. i'm not sure why. at 50 yards, i put a nice tight group with the m1a. with the garand, i'm on target every round, but the group's so large i look like the amateur that i am.

.22 is fun. most fun rifle i shoot is a gsg22. fast, accurate right outta the box, and relatively quiet.

I'm jealous. I got to fire the M1 Garand once at a range in Pennsylvania. My first time really getting some shots in. Let me try a bunch of different guns working my way up to it. I loved everything about it. The look, the feel. Felt so solid. And firing it, you really feel the power. Felt like I could shred my target in half. It was such a joy.
With my .22 I enjoy shooting for accuracy. Trying to get my groupings tighter each time. With pistols, I try to be more practical. I don't shoot beyond 10 yards because for self-defense, most use would be in that range. Last time I tried a compact Glock 19, I was complete garbage beyond 7 yards and barely adequate at 5. After firing .22s with a rifle which feels like nothing, moving up in ammo size, albeit still only 9mm, and using a much smaller gun the kick is drastically different.
Well I like that you appreciate the Garand. Now get your FID and order one from CMP or have your wife order one while you are waiting for yours.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i'm actually much more accurate with the m1a. i'm not sure why. at 50 yards, i put a nice tight group with the m1a. with the garand, i'm on target every round, but the group's so large i look like the amateur that i am.

.22 is fun. most fun rifle i shoot is a gsg22. fast, accurate right outta the box, and relatively quiet.
Try at 100 yards.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

40613863780_c0dbac065c_k.jpg[/url]
Nice! I loved shooting a Garand... but it's a little heavy for me to hold up after a while! [emoji123][emoji123][emoji123]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

Great rifle when it works.  Biggest annoying POS when it doesn't.  No other rifle I've owned is as picky a little PITA as my GSG522 is.  But on those rare occasions when it is both clean and has ammo it will cooperate with, I'm not sure anything else puts as big a grin on my face, either.

gsg522sd_sm.jpg

I will admit that at our NJGF shotgun shoots, I usually only put 75-125 rounds downrange, though I think I did once do 175.  Saturday was an even 100.

15 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

little steps. each time you shoot one, you'll be able to support it a little longer. i love the kick, the smell, and the music she makes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Great rifle when it works.  Biggest annoying POS when it doesn't.  No other rifle I've owned is as picky a little PITA as my GSG522 is.  But on those rare occasions when it is both clean and has ammo it will cooperate with, I'm not sure anything else puts as big a grin on my face, either.

gsg522sd_sm.jpg

I will admit that at our NJGF shotgun shoots, I usually only put 75-125 rounds downrange, though I think I did once do 175.  Saturday was an even 100.

so far, i've not had any trouble....but i've only fed it cci minimags

little steps. each time you shoot one, you'll be able to support it a little longer. i love the kick, the smell, and the music she makes.
Careful... you might end up talking me into getting one! [emoji848]

5 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

Careful... you might end up talking me into getting one! emoji848.png

that's the whole idea. :D everyone should have a beauty such as the garand to grace their gun safe.

mine? her name is Catherine btw. named for my grandmom.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Yes, and I believe "practice makes perfect", so I'm aware of that too. But at the end of the day, like I said above, this isn't my daily profession like yours, it's just a fun hobby and sport for me. I'm not trying to win any competitions (although I beat my sons every time we have a competition at the range.

Just think, we're getting our maximum number of rounds per hour of range time. Plus lots of experience reloading mags. Want to see the size of my thumbs? :)

And this is why I would offer a free class to all those interested.  

Interesting points.  HE couldn't have responded better.  

• Like 2

To reiterate what I said before.  A couple of weeks ago  @Zeke and @Mrs.Zekewent to the range.  We were there about 3 hours and shot maybe 300 rds between us.  Mrs Zeke got her Aimpoint zeroed (with a hard to beat group I need to add!!!),   Zeke and Mrs Zeke got to try some different guns, doing quite well.  I got to check the iron sights on a rfile at 300 yards.

A lot was done with those  300 rds.  

• Like 2

My wife and I have started doing 200 rounds each. I've been doing 100 rounds standing and 100 rounds in the sitting position. My wife is working on precision, but I think she needs someone who can better show her what to do. Pistol shooting isn't my forte but I also think her target is too big. She basically likes targets that fill a large sheet so she's not being forced to be so precise.

200 rounds of 9mm is definitely way more expensive than .22 lr. She's looking for a .22 pistol for range time.

15 minutes ago, Greenday said:

My wife and I have started doing 200 rounds each. I've been doing 100 rounds standing and 100 rounds in the sitting position. My wife is working on precision, but I think she needs someone who can better show her what to do. Pistol shooting isn't my forte but I also think her target is too big. She basically likes targets that fill a large sheet so she's not being forced to be so precise.

200 rounds of 9mm is definitely way more expensive than .22 lr. She's looking for a .22 pistol for range time.

Aim small miss small 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Greenday said:

She might want to join a bullseye league in her area. Unless I missed it, your range (Full Metal Jacket) doesn't mention it anywhere on their site (not every range has a bullseye league). For those that do, often non-members are welcome. At the very least, she might want to observe or sign up and participate in a local bullseye competition.

The first round of bullseye is done with a .22 (and you have the option to just do that first round). It's definitely focused on precision - the target is small with a bullseye about the size of a nickel. And at most indoor ranges, folks are shooting at a 50 foot distance... so it's challenging. A lot of people these days are really focused on the action shooting sports (which is great - I support ALL shooting sports, LOL!)… but bullseye is great for building fundamental skills and really honing your aim, trigger coordination, etc.

Not only would she get a ton of good advice from the more experienced bullseye shooters, but I'm sure she could try out some of the many .22 pistol models that are out there... and that would help inform her ultimate pistol purchase.

Does anyone know of a bullseye league in Atlantic County for Mrs. Greenday?

Edit: Your wife can also research bullseye on this site... @10X  previously gave me the link saying it was "a great resource for all registered bullseye and international competitions in the area (and some of the leagues)"... www.njpistol.com/index_new2.asp  

• Like 1