Greenday

Number of Rounds per Range Trip

Depends on who's with me. Also why I'm shooting .... whether it's getting ready for hunting season or just plinking. 

Took my kids to range with 2 handguns last week....went thru almost 200 rounds of 22s and 150 of 9mm. 

If I checking my muzzleloader and shotguns (slug) I fire less than 10-15 shots. Usually less than 10. 

With the much higher replacement cost of ammo and spot shortages I am revising my usage.  The ranges are open but I am being more conservative on my occasional range visits accompanied by the SO:

.22LR (two rifles, one revolver, one semi-auto handgun)  50 to 75 rounds.

9MM (two semi-auto handguns)  40 rounds/4 magazines

.45 ACP (one 1911 A1)  21 rounds/3 magazines

I was fortunate to have placed a big ammo order in November, 2019 at excellent prices.  I have not ordered since.

I estimate current pricing at 150 to 250 % higher than the 2029 order.  Supplies/stock seems better but prices are only slowly returning to pre-Covid levels. 

For example prices per round for decent brand brass, before Covid, peaked in 2020 and now:

.22LR - $0.05, $0.21, $0.11

9mm - $0.18, $0.60, $0.32

.45 ACP - $0.24, $0.91, $0.54

I miss being able to plink 200 rounds of .22 and shooting up more than one target each but there it is.  

The last time I went to the range I did 50 rds of handgun, 60 rds of .223, and 10-15 rounds of 00 Buckshot... shotguns kind of suck with paper targets because the wad erases the whole sheet.

I had to make the most of my limited free time :D I usually do a box of handgun ammo at least. My next trip will include 22LR so might put a lot through that.