Soclydeza

Fishing essentials

I'm looking to get into fishing this summer.  I used to go when I was younger but always used other peoples' gear.  Aside from the obvious (pole, line, etc.) what gear should I pick up to get myself started?  This would be for fresh water shore/boat fishing.  Also, being that this is New Jersey, do I need some sort of license/permit?  Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Soclydeza said:

I'm looking to get into fishing this summer.  I used to go when I was younger but always used other peoples' gear.  Aside from the obvious (pole, line, etc.) what gear should I pick up to get myself started?  This would be for fresh water shore/boat fishing.  Also, being that this is New Jersey, do I need some sort of license/permit?  Thanks!

Fishing license is required for New Jersey residents 14? and over. If you want to fish in any stream or any lake or Pond that has ever been stocked with trout you will also need a New Jersey trout stamp. 

A halfway decent pair of polarized sunglasses will be a huge help, it cuts the glare from the water so you can see the fish.

A net can be helpful while Landing fish although it's not necessary it does help ensure the fishes survival if you choose to release it. I highly recommend practicing Catch and Release the majority of the time. Nothing wrong with keeping a few fish to eat but it's nice to be able to catch the fish again another day.

Some sort of hook removal device is also extremely useful. I just use forceps at I buy by the hundred at swap meets. That way if I lose one or if it gets Rusty I don't really care and just go get a new one

That's pretty much the basics it just depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go I myself have enough gear to stock a few fishing sections of sporting good stores LOL

I just remembered you are in Hunterdon County, my old stomping grounds, if you need some recommendations for places to go fishing PM me and I will hook you up. Also if you want someone to Mentor you with small stream ultralight action trout fishing let me know and I'll set you up with my buddy. He lives in Warren County now but born and raised on the backside of Round Valley Reservoir and I've taught him everything he knows LOL. He is also an accomplished River smallmouth bass fisherman if that interests you as well

You'll need a fishing license (and probably trout stamp), grand total of around $34 IIRC.

As for what you're going to need, I carry foreceps with me and that has helped with hook removal immensely.  I have also started de-barbing many of my hooks to further aid removal as I only ever catch & release, at the cost of more lost fish.  I try to remember to wear my (prescription) polarized sunglasses for fishing.  A small bottle of sunscreen in the tackle box will hurt a lot less than the sunburn you might otherwise get if you forget to apply it before or miss a spot like I did last week (ouch).

Lures will depend on what you're looking to catch.  If you are like me, I'm open to almost anything that'll actually bite, so I have a large mix of spoons, floating/diving lures, and topwater lures, in addition to various soft baits.  Personal favorites are gold 1/8oz Phoebe fish-shaped "spoons" ($3-4 ea) and Rapala floating lures ($5-8 ea).  Walmart may have a decent number of options for you to get started.

Based on my recently getting back into fishing after 17 years, I will say if you can in any way swing a Pflueger President spinning reel ($45-60), you will be very happy.  Coming from my cheap old spinning reel, there is a night and day difference, now I want another already for a second rod I have.  Also, line has come a long way from the old mono lines you probably used when you were younger, so look into the options out there.

Good luck and have fun.

@Soclydezaand @Malice4you I know this may sound a little crazy but the only lure you need to be a successful trout fisherman in New Jersey is a Panther Martin. Goldblade black body in various different sizes. yes there are plenty of other lures that will catch fish but believe it or not that is the lures I use 99.9% of the time while fishing for trout.

https://goo.gl/images/4VHmjp

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fishnut said:

@Soclydezaand @Malice4you I know this may sound a little crazy but the only lure you need to be a successful trout fisherman in New Jersey is a Panther Martin. Goldblade black body in various different sizes. yes there are plenty of other lures that will catch fish but believe it or not that is the lures I use 99.9% of the time while fishing for trout.

https://goo.gl/images/4VHmjp

Awesome, thank you for the tip!  I think I have a few of those (in the wrong colors) from 20 years ago.

Speaking of 20 year old lures, I was sad when I lost a 20+ year old jointed Rapala in Round Valley a few days ago.  Was having good luck with bass with it...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Awesome, thank you for the tip!  I think I have a few of those (in the wrong colors) from 20 years ago.

Speaking of 20 year old lures, I was sad when I lost a 20+ year old jointed Rapala in Round Valley a few days ago.  Was having good luck with bass with it...

Round Valley truly is my old stomping grounds I grew up less than 5 miles away. On allerton rd near the school. I have probably lost a few thousand dollars worth of tackle there LOL

In addition to what's already been said. Here's a few tidbits.

For casting, I like Shimano reels with bottom drag adjustment.  Much less awkward to adjust once you determined how much weight and fight the lil fishy has in 'em.

Learn to tie a fisherman's knot.  It's super easy, yet so few know it.

blogger-image--1615468647.jpg

If you are fishing stocked water, canned corn is a popular bait because it's what they feed the fish at the farms.

Get a net, it makes landing the fish 1000 times easier.

Bring plenty of hydration.

If it's warm enough, and you are going to wade, buy a pair of hefty beach sandals, the kind that have two velcro straps.

Since you are primarily interested in fresh water, consider trying fly fishing, It's not nearly as hard as it looks, or as expensive as it's reputation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

In addition to what's already been said. Here's a few tidbits.

For casting, I like Shimano reels with bottom drag adjustment.  Much less awkward to adjust once you determined how much weight and fight the lil fishy has in 'em.

Learn to tie a fisherman's knot.  It's super easy, yet so few know it.

blogger-image--1615468647.jpg

If you are fishing stocked water, canned corn is a popular bait because 

Since you are primarily interested in fresh water, consider trying fly fishing, It's not nearly as hard as it looks, or as expensive as it's reputation.

Tenkara. Fly fishing in smaller streams without a reel. Back to the basics, I started out fishing for snappers (baby blue fish) with bamboo poles as a kid. Now ive come full circle I guess. Should work great for the majority of streams in NJ. I was just recently exposed to this and I have a rod on order. Hopefully I can intersept that package befofe my wife sees, she will blow a gasket if she sees another rod lmao.  I've never been much of a fresh water fly fishermen, just saltwater flats fishing, but I have a fly only stretch of the saco river walking distance from my new house up here in NH so when in rome.......

Also good call about the knots, I'd also recommnd getting familiar with the Palomar knot. 

Personally I never bring hydration when freshwater fishing just a LifeStraw way less weight to carry