brucin

Remington model 11 question

I picked one of the old "humpback" model 11 Remington based on Browning design and shot it for the first time today. The shells don't lock into the magazine tube like my other tube fed shotguns. They stick out of the mag tube about as far as the brass on a target shell. With a single round in when I close the bolt the gun goes into battery and the round fires and ejects as it's supposed to.

I put 2 rounds in but didn't want to fire it because the way the shell in the tube was sitting just didn't look right to me. I cycled the bolt manually and shells were ejected and fed into battery from the tube.

Is this normal for this type of shotgun or is there a problem with the magazine tube?

• Like 1

I believe that the design of the model 11 allows for the brass end of the shell to "hang out" so that it can be loaded after the first shell is ejected. I would suggest taking apart the magazine tube, inspecting and cleaning the tube, spring, plug, etc to make sure there isn't any other obstruction. If it still doesn't look quite right, take it to your local gun smith to make sure it's safe to fire. Not sure how old it is or how it was stored/ cared for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is normal for the Model 11, Savage, and Belgium & Miroku Browning's. The base of the shell rests against the cartridge stop that's inside the bolt. The only features the Model 11 lacks that the Browning A-5 has are the speed-load feature (split carrier) and a magazine cutoff switch.  

There were a number of variants and changes through 100 years of production from the Browning/Miroku models and some features of the Browning's are not found on the Savage and Remington models. They are ALL solid shotguns and usually very reliable. 

Thanks for your responses. I did dissemble and clean the gun before taking it out. It has very little wear and was a safe queen for a majority of its 70 plus years. Can't wait to take it back out and bust some clays

• Like 1