jm1827

Looking to get an OU

There's a big difference in frame sizes between 12 & 20 gauges, in particular some Browning's, both in the Superposed line and Citori line, although the Cynergy line and the new 725 chambered in 12 ga. have lower profiles. Beretta 68X's have a lower profile compared to the Browning's. A 12 ga. Beretta is slimmer than a 12 ga. Superposed or standard Citori. 

SxS's (the original double) have the lowest profile, but not many are fans of these and most are thrown off by a pair of barrels that are sideways. :huh: Many makers tried to overcome this 'obstacle' with different style ribs, but you won't find them on a $600 SxS

• Like 1

Good info above. 

It all comes down to personal preference. When I started hunting late 80s I carried an old side by side. I prefer the wide forearm of a SxS. I've handled a few O/Us and the forearm was too narrow for my hand. For that reason alone I don't own any O/Us. And I was always in love with the look of an O/U but once I handled and shot one...things changed.  

@jm1827:

I will echo the advice above provided by @Parker, who also provided me with some very informative and valuable insights when I had just started my search for an O/U shotgun several years ago, (as did both @lunker and @Rob0115).

Here are several additional links to some web articles on affordable O/U shotguns:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/guns/shotguns/double-guns/2012/11/best-over-under-shotguns-less-1000

https://gundigest.com/reviews/shotguns/affordable-overunder-shotguns

https://www.range365.com/top-10-clay-guns

For what it is worth, I have been very impressed with the Griffin & Howe Shooting School at Hudson Farm in Andover, NJ.  While it is expensive, it really is a first-class operation and their sporting clay set up is like a top-notch golf club, but for shotguns / sporting clays.  I have taken a number of sporting clay lessons there, where I was able to "test drive" a number of shotguns from their wide selection.  Shooting there in the fall season with the trees leaves changing colors, is a spectacular background in temperate weather conditions, complimenting the very helpful one-on-one instruction that I really benefited from.  I have learned much from them. 

Based on this experience, as well as some here have suggested, I decided to splurge, going beyond my original budget for a shotgun to purchase a high-quality gun and ended up buying a new:
Beretta 692 Sporting O/U 12-gauge shotgun (30" barrel).  It has a light natural stained Turkish walnut stock and fore end.  I am very pleased with this choice. Prior to deciding on this O/U shotgun, I shot some other beautiful, low production, finely crafted shotguns in the same price range but decided that the Beretta fit me the best. While it is an expensive gun I did get what I consider a good deal.  I found the lowest price for this O/U online and as a member of RTSP range, after checking with their Beretta Distributor, they agreed to match that price so I could purchase it from them.  Here is a link to this model featured on the Beretta web site:

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/692/#Main

This was an early Christmas present to myself back in 2015.  I realized that I would be using this shotgun approximately 80% of the time for sporting clays and 10% for Trap and 10% for Skeet.  Most importantly, as determined by others more proficient and knowledgeable about these things than me, I felt that this gun fit me the best, for the most part, of all the others I tried.

In the spring of 2016, I took the next step and had my shotgun professionally fitted at G&H/Hudson Farm, as well has taking additional lessons.  Yes, it was expensive, more than I had anticipated, but I feel it was well worth it, along with the valuable one-on-one instruction of the important fundamentals that I now practice on my own, as well as enjoying the beautiful natural setting and manicured landscaping of Hudson Farm.  The fitting involved going through the process of measurements and shooting at a pattern board, then using some interested almost antique tools and devices, were able to make very precise measurements of what modifications should be made to the gun to result in more accurate shooting.  Subsequently, their gunsmith steamed and gently permanently bent my stock slightly, as well as added a 1/4" thick rubber pad to the recoil pad on the butt of the stock.  The final result was an immediate noticeable and positive difference in my consistent accuracy of breaking clays.

Good luck in whatever you decide to chose and I hope it brings you many satisfying years of shooting....

AVB-AMG

• Like 2

Thanks, AVB.  The main reason I am looking for an O/U is to shoot at Hudson Farm.  I have been shooting clays on and off for years but have been using my trusty 870.  And of course my 14 year old son wants to shoot as well so at some point I will probably be buying 2 guns.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jm1827 said:

Thanks, AVB.  The main reason I am looking for an O/U is to shoot at Hudson Farm.  I have been shooting clays on and off for years but have been using my trusty 870.  And of course my 14 year old son wants to shoot as well so at some point I will probably be buying 2 guns.  

I take my 870 Special Field 12 ga. out for upland every now and then, and also to the skeet range. It fills that niche very well. 

• Like 1

I have a Citori 20 gauge that I received as a gift from my dad years ago. It’s a great upland bird gun (dove, quail, pheasant), and it’s a lot of fun to shoot clays with (ask Mrs. Zeke). It was a gift, so I’m not 100% sure what grade it is, or what they cost. 

That being said, I think fitment is the most important aspect of any firearm. It doesn’t matter how much money you spend, if it doesn’t fit you right, you’re not going to be comfortable, and you won’t shoot it well. My advice is to try as many as you can before you plunk down your hard earned money on anything. As others have offered, you are more than welcome to try my little Citori at one of the clays shoots. Find something you like, you’re comfortable with, and go from there. You don’t have to spend a fortune on a shotgun, you just need one that fits you and your style of shooting (except Zeke...he HAS to buy his lovely wife a Citori:p). 

Youre welcome to meet up with us at the clays shoots and try out some guns! 

59 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@AVB-AMG 

@Mrs. Peel and @Mrs.Zeke did ladies day at Lehigh yesterday 

i got this text

” btw, Beretta makes bitchin shotguns “

and then I became nervous , anxious and nauseous..

E0872B3C-DE2A-4F54-96C5-AB9FA9EC1B99.jpeg

Well it WAS a beautiful shotgun!!! Look at that pretty etching! Mrs. Zeke needs one. Doesn't she have a birthday coming up in the fall? :D

(BTW, sending a big "thank you" to @Ms. 12 Gauge who clued me in on the Women on Target event (yesterday) at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays. Hot as Hades, but great day. I may do a more detailed review in the "range" section). 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Well it WAS a beautiful shotgun!!! Look at that pretty etching! Mrs. Zeke needs one. Doesn't she have a birthday coming up in the fall? :D

(BTW, sending a big "thank you" to @Ms. 12 Gauge who clued me in on the Women on Target event (yesterday) at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays. Hot as Hades, but great day. I may do a more detailed review in the "range" section). 

Unlike this post

• Like 2

Sounds like you all had a really good time out at LVSC’s yesterday. You picked a rather toasty day to go clay shooting, but I am glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. If you want some additional company for your next time you plan you go over there please let me know. All the best....!
AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

Sounds like you all had a really good time out at LVSC’s yesterday. You picked a rather toasty day to go clay shooting, but I am glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. If you want some additional company for your next time you plan you go over there please let me know. All the best....!
AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was ladies day...stellar deal. Believe me .. I’m jus gonna say no. 

I bought a used Browning 525 about 6 years ago for $2200. Has a really nice recoil system that was added to it by the previous owner, that alone was over $700. I can shoot that gun all day long, has the recoil of a semi. Not sure what your budget is. A guy I used to shoot Trap with has a gun made in Turkey, not sure of the brand (not CZ that I know) and he could easily break 24/25 of 25 round after round. He took my new to me Browning and broke 25. I don't think it matters what he shoots with!

22 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I have a Citori 20 gauge that I received as a gift from my dad years ago. It’s a great upland bird gun (dove, quail, pheasant), and it’s a lot of fun to shoot clays with (ask Mrs. Zeke). It was a gift, so I’m not 100% sure what grade it is, or what they cost. 

That being said, I think fitment is the most important aspect of any firearm. It doesn’t matter how much money you spend, if it doesn’t fit you right, you’re not going to be comfortable, and you won’t shoot it well. My advice is to try as many as you can before you plunk down your hard earned money on anything. As others have offered, you are more than welcome to try my little Citori at one of the clays shoots. Find something you like, you’re comfortable with, and go from there. You don’t have to spend a fortune on a shotgun, you just need one that fits you and your style of shooting (except Zeke...he HAS to buy his lovely wife a Citori:p). 

Youre welcome to meet up with us at the clays shoots and try out some guns! 

Thanks for the offer and the great advice.  So far I have shot 2 Citoris, a lightning in 20 gauge and a CXS in 12 gauge, both shot great.  I also had the opportunity to getting professionally fitted and shooting a couple of Silver Pigeons, a 20 and a 12 gauge at Hudson Farms, both fit great with the stock 12 gauge being a perfect fit.

I really liked them all and unless I shoot them side by side I really don't have a preference.  I was also fortunate enough to get a lesson at Hudson farms and that made a tremendous difference.  I will start looking at both in the near future any may take a ride down to Cabelas in DE!

10 hours ago, M4BGRINGO said:

and he could easily break 24/25 of 25 round after round. He took my new to me Browning and broke 25. I don't think it matters what he shoots with!

The difference is, with the turkish gun, he'll hit 23's 24's and sometimes 25's, With the Browning, or a similar grade gun, he'll hit mostly 25's.  Not saying the turk gun is crap, just that the Browning is better and the results show it.

16 hours ago, Zeke said:

@AVB-AMG 

@Mrs. Peel and @Mrs.Zeke did ladies day at Lehigh yesterday 

i got this text

” btw, Beretta makes bitchin shotguns “

and then I became nervous , anxious and nauseous..

E0872B3C-DE2A-4F54-96C5-AB9FA9EC1B99.jpeg

@Zeke:

That really does look nice with all of the intricate detailing....
I just bet Mrs. Zeke would love to have one just like that for her upcoming birthday present...
Yes, it may be an expensive year for you.....

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 8:13 AM, AVB-AMG said:

@Zeke:

That really does look nice with all of the intricate detailing....
I just bet Mrs. Zeke would love to have one just like that for her upcoming birthday present...
Yes, it may be an expensive year for you.....

AVB-AMG

Dislike this post

• Like 2

There is less recoil on a 12 g that fits you than any 20g. O/U is the best gun for clays. Much safer than a semi. You need to show the gun is safe when you are around other people and no better way than a break open gun. There are clay courses that specify break open guns only.

You would be fine with a 32" o/u and a set of chokes for skeet, trap or sporting clays. Each game requires a different pattern due to the distances and type of flight path. It is cheaper to get a good gun than 2 different ones.

Thanks everyone,

I have had the chance to try quite a few different OUs, as of now I am trying to decide between an Citori Crossover and a Beretta 686.  Both of these shot very well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jm1827 said:

Unless my wife finds out how much they cost...

If she does tell her you were looking at a Perazzi but decided to be responsible and got a citori or 686 instead. 

Thankfully my wife thinks all guns look the same and has no idea how many I own. 

• Like 2

I plan on heading down to Cabelas next week, I have it narrowed down to either a Browning Citori or Cynergy Field.  I have shot them both and might like the Cynergy just a tad bit more. 

Of course I wouldn't rule out a Beretta, but I am definitely leaning toward a Browning.

4 hours ago, jm1827 said:

I plan on heading down to Cabelas next week, I have it narrowed down to either a Browning Citori or Cynergy Field.  I have shot them both and might like the Cynergy just a tad bit more. 

Of course I wouldn't rule out a Beretta, but I am definitely leaning toward a Browning.

I have a Cynergy along with a shooting buddy of mine and love it. A few of the other guys have Citori’s. Can’t go wrong with any of the “B’s”. Just find the one that fits you.

• Like 1