capt14k

For Those who don't believe registration leads to confiscation

I think the system was designed to make it fairly easy to trace transactions from the manufacturer's SN back to a retail purchaser, but not to go the other way -- not for wholesale screening to generate a list of owners of, say, Evil Black Rifles.
NICS was launched by the FBI on November 30, 1998, so there are less than 20 years of records in the Federal system. Quality firearms should be expected to last more than 20 years. More than 100 years, really. They should last longer than the first buyer himself should last with a little maintenance. And gun oil and springs are pretty cheap. So probably only a fraction of the records of initial purchases of all the firearms in the US have been captured by NICS.
According to the FBI, there were 11,004 firearm homicides in 2016, and probably only a small fraction where the firearm was left at the scene but the perp himself had absconded from the scene. But there must be millions of Evil Black Rifles in the US. So, yes, Big Brother (or Big Sister) could trace (almost) all Evil Black Rifles back to the original address of the retail purchaser -- but it wouldn't be easy, would cost a lot of money, and the list wouldn't be completely accurate.
Magazines? No registrations, no paper trail and there must be hundreds of millions of standard capacity magazines all over the US. 

Also keep in mind half the states have no NICS for CCW holders and most states there is no NICS for FFL03 (soon to include NJ) for any C&R Firearm which those first black rifles are now approaching, SKS and AK47 have been C&R eligible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just want to point out something I am aware of about this subject. I know a lot of gun owners who are afraid of confiscation and against registration. Yet they register their guns with the manufacturer for warrant support. They buy online from companies who keep sales records. This is like guys I know who do not want to get EZ Pass or other things to stay off the grid and yet they are so on the grid from other ways that they are not even aware of it. I did Skip tracing for a year and not only did I find people but learned the names of their girlfriends and places they hung out at through credit card receipts and other means.  These days you cannot hide anything. Even if confiscation came to be and let's say you hide your guns. What good would that be? If you use it you will probably get a life sentence. If you brandish it you will get a very long prison sentence. Some may say but at least I will be alive. Sometimes being dead is not the worst that can happen to you. 

I just want to point out something I am aware of about this subject. I know a lot of gun owners who are afraid of confiscation and against registration. Yet they register their guns with the manufacturer for warrant support. They buy online from companies who keep sales records. This is like guys I know who do not want to get EZ Pass or other things to stay off the grid and yet they are so on the grid from other ways that they are not even aware of it. I did Skip tracing for a year and not only did I find people but learned the names of their girlfriends and places they hung out at through credit card receipts and other means.  These days you cannot hide anything. Even if confiscation came to be and let's say you hide your guns. What good would that be? If you use it you will probably get a life sentence. If you brandish it you will get a very long prison sentence. Some may say but at least I will be alive. Sometimes being dead is not the worst that can happen to you. 
I don't buy firearms online, I only use credit cards online, there is manufacturer to register my firearms with for warranty.

I have a friend who you will only find income tax returns for. Not online period, phone not in his name, zero credit cards, cash only FTF used firearms purchases, rents, utilities not even in his name.

Then there are the people I know who may actually appear as dead. No income tax returns even. Granted most of them don't own firearms because they are unemployed and live at home still. Most don't even have a drivers license.

If I know people like this in NJ how many live elsewhere?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Or maybe what you could do if you live in a state that makes you register your weapons, do that as you're required to, but then a month later report one of them stolen or destroyed in a boating accident so if an overbearing government ever does come to confiscate them you at least have one that's no longer recorded as being owned by you. lol