dilbert1967

Jeff Van Drew's 2A beliefs

In September 2014, I attended a NJ2AS gathering at the Stone Harbor Country Club to hear several politicians speak about concealed carry in NJ. State Senator Jeff Van Drew, Cape May County Sheriff Gary Schaefer, the Middle Township Police Chief, and a Republican assemblyman whose name I can't recall.  The consensus of the meeting was all four favored concealed carry in NJ with a semi-annual qualification requirement such as the RPO Qualification Course.

Yesterday, I get an e-mail from NJ2AS stating that Van Drew will have to decide to vote for or against the 6+ anti-gun bills in the Senate.  NJ2AS seems to think he will vote in favor of each bill.  He is looking to take over the seat of Frank LoBiondo, who is leaving Congress.

I was under the impression that Jeff Van Drew was one of the few, perhaps the only, Democrat to receive an "A" rating from the NRA.  All can find about him currently is this:  http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/jeff-van-drew-nra-tanzie-youngblood-gun-control-democrats-new-jersey-2nd-congressional-district-debate-video-midterm-elections-2018-20180222.html

Apparently his still pro-gun but NJ2AS doesn't think so?  Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, dilbert1967 said:

In September 2014, I attended a NJ2AS gathering at the Stone Harbor Country Club to hear several politicians speak about concealed carry in NJ. State Senator Jeff Van Drew, Cape May County Sheriff Gary Schaefer, the Middle Township Police Chief, and a Republican assemblyman whose name I can't recall.  The consensus of the meeting was all four favored concealed carry in NJ with a semi-annual qualification requirement such as the RPO Qualification Course.

Yesterday, I get an e-mail from NJ2AS stating that Van Drew will have to decide to vote for or against the 6+ anti-gun bills in the Senate.  NJ2AS seems to think he will vote in favor of each bill.  He is looking to take over the seat of Frank LoBiondo, who is leaving Congress.

I was under the impression that Jeff Van Drew was one of the few, perhaps the only, Democrat to receive an "A" rating from the NRA.  All can find about him currently is this:  http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/jeff-van-drew-nra-tanzie-youngblood-gun-control-democrats-new-jersey-2nd-congressional-district-debate-video-midterm-elections-2018-20180222.html

Apparently his still pro-gun but NJ2AS doesn't think so?  Any thoughts?

Well, from the way the article reads, it almost sounds like the democratic machine was trying to force the candidate to adhere to the party line on gun control. If so, that's a shame. As someone who voted for Democrats for most of my life, I really hate to see the Dems moving towards more extreme viewpoints on a number of issues. And particularly, their disdain for legal gun owners (in NJ anyway) pretty much pushed me into the arms of the Republican party over the last couple of years, a position I'm also not 100% comfortable with! In my "head" - I'm still an unaffiliated, independent voter, but I'm finding fewer and fewer candidates who can provide me with appealing options in reality (meaning at the polls). Gun rights should NOT be a Republican vs. Democrat issue... it should NOT! But, as time goes on, it seems like the DNC wants to be seen as the party of gun control. Again, for me personally, I feel like that is a great loss.

Roubian may be spot-on... on the other hand, he may just be ticked off at the guy for some silly reason... you just never know! But, it will certainly be interesting to see how this candidate votes on these bills!

Edit: particularly if you're his constituent, please let him KNOW how you want him to vote on these bills!!... with a call or an email.

• Like 3

Don't ever be fooled by any party affiliations.  They're politicians.  They're not in it for the public service or civic minded duty.  The'll say whatever needs to be said for whatever they want at any given moment.  If that was the mood of they room at the time then that's what you'll hear.  They are liars.    

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BobA said:

Don't ever be fooled by any party affiliations.  They're politicians.  They're not in it for the public service or civic minded duty.  The'll say whatever needs to be said for whatever they want at any given moment.  If that was the mood of they room at the time then that's what you'll hear.  They are liars.    

I can't agree with you more.  A classic example is the Libertarian Party's 2016 Vice Presidential candidate, William Weld.  A former MA anti-gun governor.  And he was representing a political party that specifically stood for the Bill of Rights.  I don't know what Gary Johnson was thinking.

17 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

I can't agree with you more.  A classic example is the Libertarian Party's 2016 Vice Presidential candidate, William Weld.  A former MA anti-gun governor.  And he was representing a political party that specifically stood for the Bill of Rights.  I don't know what Gary Johnson was thinking.

After seeing and hearing Gary Johnson speak, I don't believe that he thinks at all...

I have personally sat and talked with Sen Van Drew when i was a Founding Board Member for NJ2AS and he spoke at one of our meetings. I had a lot of questions for him. He gave me a lot of insight into the why's and hows of politics and the challenges of advancing anything pro 2a in NJ. I came away from the conversation feeling that he was genuine and sincere in his support for the 2nd. This was about 4 or 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, Shane45 said:

I have personally sat and talked with Sen Van Drew when i was a Founding Board Member for NJ2AS and he spoke at one of our meetings. I had a lot of questions for him. He gave me a lot of insight into the why's and hows of politics and the challenges of advancing anything pro 2a in NJ. I came away from the conversation feeling that he was genuine and sincere in his support for the 2nd. This was about 4 or 5 years ago.

I don't know Van Drew, but is it possible that he changed his mind/stance?

You need to understand politicians play politics within their own party.  The Democrats don't care if one of them votes against a anti-gun bill as long they know it will pass anyway.  More so if that's what it takes for that legislator to be re-elected in their district. Just as long as they pull the party line on other votes.

If you look at Van Drew''s voting record he usually votes against anti-gun bill.  That's the fallacy of the NRA rating.  They only look at gun issues.

Van Drew voted for NICS for private transfers.  That's the biggest PITA for gun owners in NJ.  It's also another "tax" as the state will collect more from NICS. He also voted  for tuition assistance for illegal aliens.

Given the choice between a candidate with a NRA A rating who's for higher taxes and more government control and another with an NRA B rating who's for lower taxes and less control I'll take the B rated guy.

You can't be a one issue voter.

• Like 4

Van Drews so called positive 2A view is USELESS, I don't care how sincere he seems about it, he is a willing and active part of the democrat machine in NJ and should be despised as such if you cherish the 2A.

• Like 4

When VanDrew was a NJ Senator from, largely rural, south jersey he was pro gun.  He even sponsored a concealed carry bill in NJ for several years in a row and always voted against any new gun control laws.   A lot of republicans in our area who hunt or own guns have voted for him in the past - including me.

But he's running for US Congress now.  He needs a larger swath of democrat voters so now he's suddenly anti gun. 

Senate President Steve Sweeney delayed the vote on NJ's latest round of gun laws so that VanDrew wouldn't have to reveal the new VanDrew until after the primary.  As soon as the primary was over, VanDrew voted yes of 5 of the 7 anti-gun bills.

I can't believe the NRA is still giving him a B+.

On 10/17/2018 at 7:25 PM, maintenanceguy said:

When VanDrew was a NJ Senator from, largely rural, south jersey he was pro gun.  He even sponsored a concealed carry bill in NJ for several years in a row and always voted against any new gun control laws.   A lot of republicans in our area who hunt or own guns have voted for him in the past - including me.

But he's running for US Congress now.  He needs a larger swath of democrat voters so now he's suddenly anti gun. 

Senate President Steve Sweeney delayed the vote on NJ's latest round of gun laws so that VanDrew wouldn't have to reveal the new VanDrew until after the primary.  As soon as the primary was over, VanDrew voted yes of 5 of the 7 anti-gun bills.

I agree with this. Van Drew had cover and was pro 2A in his voting, but he could get away with it because the D's dominate NJ so heavily that his little vote never mattered. When he moves off to DC, they'll ride him like a rented mule and he'll either cave in or be a one term Congressman. I have known him slightly since before politics and he means well. He did a lot for the folks in his district, but he's moving on to a different theater of operations. I'm going to send a Republican to DC.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 7:25 PM, maintenanceguy said:

Kirsten Gillibrand in NY was A rated by the NRA until she was chosen to fill a US Senate seat. She now has an F rating. The problem with politics is if you plan to make it a career you have to sell your soul to advance or even keep your job. I wouldn't vote for Van Drew if I lived in that district.

• Like 2