Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Peel

One Place that Pro2A and Gun Control Types Can Agree?

I'm NOT putting this in the 1A Lounge... so... mind your manners, pls, and your language! ;)

This is a REALLY chilling article about the influence of Columbine even on today's school shooters. It's about how that event lives on as almost a tantalizing goal for a small handful of angry, vengeful students: 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/for-‘columbiners’-school-shootings-have-a-deadly-allure/ar-AAy0NKX?ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz

It's once again talking about the copycat or contagion effect of these crimes... and saying that the media is (inadvertently?) spurring more of them by the way that they report these stories. Many years ago, a large number of experts in the field of criminology, forensic psychology, etc. signed a letter asking the media to change their M.O. on reporting these stories - mainly, to STOP reporting the killer's name, STOP hyping the body count, etc. It feel on deaf ears.

I do recall seeing the NRA call the press out on this in the past. Interestingly, David Hogg tweeted something the other day that I actually agreed with 100% - he also called out the media for their role in pumping up the popularity of these mass killers. 

Honestly... it seems there's a rare, overlapping point of agreement between opposing factions.  I think the media has managed to skate on their own complicity for far too long.  Their excited, breathless reporting... continually hyping the number killed... well, it's not only unseemly (ghastly, in fact) but experts seem to agree it exacerbates the problem. So, on the one hand, they feed the problem... then they turn around and argue why there should be more gun control! I'm wondering if we're nearing a tipping point where both sides will start turning on the media... and asking them to develop and comply with a new set of reporting standards? 

• Like 3

I disagree 100% that there is an area of overlap here. Go look at the various activism materials generated by the gun grabbers. They are fully on board with feeding the 24-7 media cycle on mass shootings and keeping it flowing for even longer periods of time than ever before. 

For the gun grabbers, you have two sorts: The true believers, and the political creatures. The true believers might welcome suggestions of actual efficacy. The political animals care not for anything practical except the end of gun owners as a voting block. Either by their elimination or by politically silencing them. This is why every proposed law since I have been alive seems to be geared towards initiating a chilling effect on ownership or making it increasingly difficult to engage new shooters or bring in the next generation of shooters. 

I’ve said for years to stop giving them air time, popularizing, idolizing, etc. This is with any idiot thing in life. You get their word out, more will join the parade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Hogg is garbage, He would be irrelevant if he really believed what he said. He has been in the media's spot light for months sensationalizing the shooting. The media cant push it's narrative, and neither can the gun grabbers, without full on 24/7 media coverage after these events. 

Of course these events inspire the same sick minds that will do this again. The stories that would deter them, the ones where an aggressor is dropped before being able to take a life, never make it to print. 

7 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

The stories that would deter them, the ones where an aggressor is dropped before being able to take a life, never make it to print. 

The stories do, in fact, make it to print.  They make it to small regional papers and get fleetingly picked up by national MSM with a momentary mention.  They do NOT get hyped up or used as a deterrent.  Not at all.  Hence my increasingly callous and cynical attitude toward any change for our common (2a) good.