silverado427

Brake job blue's

Had same problem with my Tahoe, everything worked, just lights were on. After a  while noticed that if I had a panic stop ABS would not activate, tires would skid. STS would not touch it,  brought it to dealer had to replace sensor. Forgot the cost was about 100k ago

One of the many things I miss about my Cadillac DeVille is the on board diagnostics right from the dashboard.  It helped me diagnose many many problems and enabled me to fix some of the issues myself.  HF has the below pictured diagnostic scanner for $140.00.  Maybe less if you have a coupon.

I fubar'd the abs on the Caddy doing a brake job myself.  Replaced all pads,  a front caliper and rotor cuz the old caliper was hung up and overheated (warped) the rotor. Took everything apart again, cleaned up connectors and sensor contact surface and that fixed it.  I guess I don't know exactly how I fixed it, but it got fixed none the less.  But the OBD told me where to look.63807_W1.jpg

2 hours ago, silverado427 said:

To my fellow gear heads.  I just replaced the rear hub's   and brakes on my wife's  2008 Sentra,  and now the brake light and ABS light comes on.  Any suggestions. 

No fluid leaks. Brake fluid level is good.

were they press in bearings? if so, you may well have put them in backwards

just looked it up. bolt in. i'd check the connections to the abs sensors, and be sure you didn't yank one of the harness's, as they're actually pretty fragile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Had same problem with my Tahoe, everything worked, just lights were on. After a  while noticed that if I had a panic stop ABS would not activate, tires would skid. STS would not touch it,  brought it to dealer had to replace sensor. Forgot the cost was about 100k ago

tahoe? stay the hell away from the stealerships. chances are good that there was just rust between the sensor flange and the mounting surface. this is common on gm trucks, causing the spacing to be off, and triggering the light.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

red brake warning light (rbwl) and abs light on means the abs system is inactive.

start by battery disconect to try and clear the code. upon reconect see if it comes on instant upon restart or after drive or stays clear.

i have a bluetooth scanner dongle, "u-scan" iirc, it was like 25 on amazon, and has done most of the things ive needed to do at home that, or any other scanner will tell you whats up (yes a ASE L1 relies on a cheap scanner for personal use)

2 hours ago, silverado427 said:

I have a mini U581 scan tool and it has saved me about  $1k. It doesn't show any codes . I ordered the rear sensor's. I'll check it out this weekend.

DOES that read abs too, or just ecu?

Got a Bluetooth obdII reader on amazon for $10 and the torq app for $5. Best code reader ever.

Likely cracked the shell on the pad wear sensor when pounding away.

They cost almost nothing. 10-20.

I think most of the big box auto parts stores read codes for free also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2