Scorpio64

Lost my Cell Phone :(

I did a bonehead thing this week.  I left my cell phone on the roof of my car at Home Depot.  Searched high and low for it, retracing my rout twice, but it's gone.  Oh well.  I was thinking about getting a new phone anyway, it was over three years old and causing me some problems anyway.

Called my cell phone provider and ordered a Motorola Moto E4, very nice phone but it freaks me out a little bit.  When the phone restarts (I had to restart it several times for updates), it flashes a Ludoviko sequence.  WTF Motorola!  Anyone who has watched A Clockwork Orange, is a CIA buff, a fan of the TV show Chuck or Archer has seen the technique used.  It's basically a technique for brainwashing..  I suspect Motorola is just trying to be funny or edgy, but it's in poor taste in my opinion. 

edit: BTW, anyone who has my number and wants to keep in touch should sent me a text message so I can get your digits.

for future reference, even with the GPS turned off, if it has an internet connection it'll still be able to do things like tell you battery status and network connected to.  you can also make it ring for 5 minutes at a time.

finally, I set up all of mine on their lock screen to say...

I'M LOST! PLEASE CALL... <two phone #s>

with the theory if someone has found it and tries to turn it on, they'll see it and hopefully call me.

if not then, I'll make it ring for about an hour continuously then I'll remote wipe it. :D

Just now, 1LtCAP said:

don't you need wifi turned on for it to have interweb connection?

wifi or cellular data will connect to the net.  But I keep both off until I need to use them.  Basically I run my phones with just about everything disabled so it's as close to just voice and text as possible to conserve battery power.

Son in law did the same thing last week with his IPad.  He was doing estimates and left it on the hood of his truck while he spoke with a customer.  Drove off without getting it off the hood.  No luck anybody turning it in.  As was mentioned, you need a connection to use the "find my" app.  

3 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Son in law did the same thing last week with his IPad.  He was doing estimates and left it on the hood of his truck while he spoke with a customer.  Drove off without getting it off the hood.  No luck anybody turning it in.  As was mentioned, you need a connection to use the "find my" app.  

LAST fall, we found an iphone smashed out in the street in front of the shop. i held it for 3 months before i just trashed it.

3 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

LAST fall, we found an iphone smashed out in the street in front of the shop. i held it for 3 months before i just trashed it.

We posted something about it in a neighborhood group site and even went as far to call the local police.  The thinking there was some good person found it and brought it to them.  Still no call from the police.  My son in law figures it probably was trashed like u said when it hit the ground.  And was probably run over a few times just for good measure.

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

We posted something about it in a neighborhood group site and even went as far to call the local police.  The thinking there was some good person found it and brought it to them.  Still no call from the police.  My son in law figures it probably was trashed like u said when it hit the ground.  And was probably run over a few times just for good measure.

had it not been smashed, i'd have run it over to cherry hill pd. my thought on keeping it here was that the owner would retrace steps, and probably stop in businesses where he may have lost it.....'cause i think they expect you to return the bad phone if you do an insurance claim.....

50 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I magically got all my contacts back.  I think it was stored in my phone's google account and when I logged in to google it restored the list.

Want to guess what else Google has "stored" on you?

On 6/5/2018 at 2:44 PM, AlDente67 said:

I find phones every once in a while.  I drop them at the service desk of the store in front.  Best place to inquire if it happens again.

My best chances at finding mine would have been to contact whatever department at DOT is in charge of roadkill

On 6/2/2018 at 8:53 PM, Scorpio64 said:

I magically got all my contacts back.  I think it was stored in my phone's google account and when I logged in to google it restored the list.  Sorry guys, you are sill on my contact list.

All your nudes as well?