1LtCAP

tick repellent

so...what's a good tick repellent? for both me and the dog?

i found the first tick on me in well over 20 years. didn't get latched in, so i know i'm good......but.......i'm guessing the little bastards are getting more numerous.

Just now, JohnnyB said:

Deep Woods Off.  The higher the DEET level the better!

Yep.  I've never got a tick on me when I remember to spray myself down with DWO.  Kills the shit out of plants though.  Don't ever apply near any plants you want to remain alive.  I usually spray my boots, pant cuffs and then spray on my finger tips and wipe down my neck and temples.  Whatever's left on hands goes on arms.

So you might call me crazy But i dont care. If you dont want those harsh chemicals Get apple cider vinager put in spray bottle.

i went into the woods this hunting season Without it walked out had tick (s) on me. the next day same weather same woods

Spreyed my legs boots etc with apple cider vinager a good sprey front back top bottom etc. Walked in the woods same place same time came out no tick(s) hunting partner laughed at me but that night i had the last laugh as he had tick bedding in him and i was tick free, Take that! haha. But seriously give it a try and animals didnt mind the apple smell masks human stank. Give it a try. Im a beleiver in it.

Plus if your boots stank sprey it in there over night and it will take away the stank!

5 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

the stuff being suggested to spray my clothes wityh.......safe for the dog? i know the apple cider vineger is.

i think i got this guy at the range, as that's the only place i was that i hadn't been recently...

I don't think any deet products are safe for dogs. If they were to lick themselves they would be ingesting it and that's not good. Just put frontline o the dog and you will never see a tick on the dog. I've been using it on all my dogs for over 20 years now. Not one of my dogs has ever had a reaction. My buddy tried a few of the other similar products that were a bit cheaper and we were picking ticks off his dog like crazy during pheasant hunting season. He finally took my advice and started using Frontline. Not one tick on the dog this past season. 

40 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i meant if i use it on me.....she licks clothes, floor etc........

Ahhh got ya. Yeah I think so, I've been using off brand 100% deet occasionally up here because of the mosquitoes and black flies and my one dog is attached to my hip and has not had an issue so far. I don't think most dogs live long enough to experience any long term effects from deet or any other similar products.  

You might also be interested in this stuff. It's to spray your cloths not your skin. I've seen doggy bandanas with impregnated with the stuff but I don't have much experience with it. https://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz

Just text my cousin who is an animal cardiologist. He said Permethrin is dog safe and commonly used to treat fleas but is deadly even in small doses to cats. So if you have a cat stay away from permethrin but it' good to go for dogs

10 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Bens 99 percent deet.  Kills ticks.  And will cause cancer.  Its a toss up. 

No, DEET doesn't cause cancer...and it's an extremely well-studied compound.  Ticks and mosquitoes are a much, much greater threat to health, and all of the DEET alternatives range in effectiveness from 'works fairly well but for a much shorter period of  time' to 'doesn't do a damn thing'.

DEET health effects

18 minutes ago, 10X said:

No, DEET doesn't cause cancer...and it's an extremely well-studied compound.  Ticks and mosquitoes are a much, much greater threat to health, and all of the DEET alternatives range in effectiveness from 'works fairly well but for a much shorter period of  time' to 'doesn't do a damn thing'.

DEET health effects

Good read thanks! I've been researching more natural alternatives lately because I'm getting eaten alive by black flys and mosquitos. I've never used much bug spray while in NJ (I already have lymes)  but up here in NH the black flys are insane and the mosquitoes are the size of small birds LOL and I live near running and standing water. Everything I have read points me to the lemon eucalyptus. I have some on order and will report back the results. 

Before anyone recommends thermocell I already tried it and they dont work. I've got the portable one and patio one. I think cheap cigars worked better for black flies and mosquitoes

I'm not to bothered by ticks but I think I'm going to get some ducks to control them in the yard for my daughter. 

16 hours ago, fishnut said:

Can't go wrong with Frontline for the dog. 

A lot of ticks are resistant to front line now, 

We use Vectra and it's is awesome. 

Deer is a neurotoxin, so you should avoid high dosages directly on the skin. This is why the deep woods off is good. I have the 99% spray I put on my boots and pants. 

10 hours ago, 10X said:

DEET health effects

I have an old little spray bottle of bens deet.  On it it says.  With prolonged use it will cause cancer.   Thats where i got that from.  

24 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

I have an old little spray bottle of bens deet.  On it it says.  With prolonged use it will cause cancer.   Thats where i got that from.  

Weird.  There is no federal requirement for such a label (and I couldn't find mention of it on their website).  

Is it one of the State of California 'may cause cancer in California' labels they put on everything from distilled water to meadow-grown wildflowers?