slickskin

9mm pistol vs 357 revolver

18 hours ago, slickskin said:

The gun will be for home defense and practice at a target range, probably not concealed carry since I know it's hard to get a permit for that. This would be my first gun so no experience. 

18 hours ago, slickskin said:

I would like to know more about the ballistics. I only fired semi automatic pistols first, so I'd like to know more about what the difference is.

https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/25_8/features/Best-Personal-Defense-Handguns-6070-1.html#.WxUbVckpDgA

......  what @GRIZ said above and to echo @Pizza Bob

Not much you cannot do with a 4" 357 revolver

Just make sure it's a smith.... ;)

Seriosuly....  simple approaches are best, not having a lot of experience a revolver can and will give you confidence in the handling of your weapon.  You can start with mild target 38 special rounds, progress up through plus P and then full power magnum rounds.

Take griz up on his offer.....  you will not be disappointed I am sure.

And dont get caught up on stopping power...I dont want yo get shot with anything...I wonder how many suppressed. 22lr have been used by spec ops teams to dispatch sentrys and agents.  The Mossad used a beretta 22 in this role.

The art of shooting is a life long and perishable skill....  you are going to love it !

Also get some training....  get a good flashlight..I personally dont like weapons mounted light on a handgun....

But for home defense depending on where you live etc....what your threats may be.  You cannot beat a 12g shotgun.....  this bbn is MY opinion. 

I live in bear country....  a 12g is close by when outside in the yard....

I know you limited choices to .357 or 9mm.  Personal experience has shown me that a big slow heavy bullet seems to be more effective when putting something down.  I really like the .357, but a 45 ACP is my choice for home defense.  I know that there are a lot of opinions on this.  My daily CCW is a 9mm.  My home defense handgun is either 45ACP or 4" barreled .357 with a 158gr JHP (or 12GA or 300BLK AR pistol all are ready to go).  I don't think that I need the advantage of high cap 9mm in my house.

35 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I know you limited choices to .357 or 9mm.  Personal experience has shown me that a big slow heavy bullet seems to be more effective when putting something down.  I really like the .357, but a 45 ACP is my choice for home defense.  I know that there are a lot of opinions on this.  My daily CCW is a 9mm.  My home defense handgun is either 45ACP or 4" barreled .357 with a 158gr JHP (or 12GA or 300BLK AR pistol all are ready to go).  I don't think that I need the advantage of high cap 9mm in my house.

45 ACP and 9mm Parabellum are great combat pistol rounds. If I only could have one handgun it would be a 4" 357.  

OTOH I've never had any use for the 40.

Just now, GRIZ said:

45 ACP and 9mm Parabellum are great combat pistol rounds. If I only could have one handgun it would be a 4" 357.  

I have never found a viable use for the .40.  I own two and never shoot them.  Will be selling them eventually.

Just now, JC_68Westy said:

I have never found a viable use for the .40.  I own two and never shoot them.  Will be selling them eventually.

Correction, I have three .40's that I never shoot.  They will all soon be gone.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I hear people saying they're much louder and the bullets aren't even that much more powerful though so I am leaning towards just getting a glock or something like that.

1 hour ago, slickskin said:

I hear people saying they're much louder and the bullets aren't even that much more powerful though so I am leaning towards just getting a glock or something like that.

You're talking about the 357.  Of course it's louder.  Refer to my first post in this thread where I quote you energy figures.  The 357 has about 60% more energy.  If you're getting that much more energy expect more noise.  Using ammo comparable in power to the 9 (125 gr +P 38 special)  the revolver is no more louder than the semiautomatic.

I still stand by what I said.  If you want the best all around handgun get a 4" 357.  If you want the best all around 9mm get a Glock 19.

JMO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Using ammo comparable in power to the 9 (125 gr +P 38 special)  the revolver is no more louder than the semiautomatic.

I gotta slightly disagree with you there GRIZ - you aren't taking into account the B/C gap which accounts for the perception and reality of revolvers being louder.

OP - the difference in noise is negligible - in fact it's a non-factor as you should be wearing adequate hearing protection anytime you shoot. Don't base your decision on noise.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

17 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

I gotta slightly disagree with you there GRIZ - you aren't taking into account the B/C gap which accounts for the perception and reality of revolvers being louder.

OP - the difference in noise is negligible - in fact it's a non-factor as you should be wearing adequate hearing protection anytime you shoot. Don't base your decision on noise.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@Pizza Bob one chart I have shows:

38 special....158 decibels

9mm.............160 decibels

357................164 decibels 

I know how decibels work.  A +P 38 spl is probably right around a 9mm.