Pizza Bob

Gotta Love an Auction

I went to a gun auction yesterday at Brown Bothers Auction House in Buckingham, PA. This was my second one there and the second time I came away happy - yesterday was more ecstatic, rather than happy.

My father bought a Winchester Model 71 in 1956 from a PA state trooper. I always loved that gun and in the late 80's when Browning reissued 71's made by Miroku in Japan, I headed right to my LGS and put my name on the wait list. Money was tight then, but I knew I'd find a way. My folks were visiting for Thanksgiving that year and I told my dad what I'd done. He showed little reaction, but he was never a very demonstrative type guy. Imagine my surprise when at Christmas time, he presented me with his model 71, saying that now I wouldn't have to spend all that money. Probably one of the fondest memories I have of my dad.

I should interject here that his 71 wasn't just any old 71, this was a Model 71 Deluxe with a three-digit serial number. I know that there is at least one person on the forum that also has a 71, but for the uninformed, the 71 is the finest lever-action rifle ever made. It was derived from the Model 1886 and was meant to be a gun that was capable of taking any North American game. It was chambered in a new cartridge, the .348 Winchester the mission of which was to replace numerous other cartridges used in Winchester's lever guns back into the black powder era, and to have ballistics comparable to the .30-06. It was/is the only production gun ever chambered in .348.

So I was overjoyed to find a Model 71 in the auction listings. This was one of the Miroku 71's but it wasn't until I looked at the picture with the listing that I realized this was a Model 71 High Grade and it was ANIB. These had a silver engraved receiver with some gold inlay and used AAA walnut for the stock. Given the rest of the goods up for auction (a lot of milsurp - but a smattering of everything) I hoped that the crowd would not be the type to go for the embellished Winchester, and that I could "steal it". Though being an auction, it only takes one person that wants it as bad as you to derail your plans. I set a limit for myself and the bidding started. One other guy. We went back & forth in $50 increments. We got to my limit, but I sensed he was slowing (must have been his limit too), so pushed on. I went to $100 over my limit and he raised it by $50 at which time I bowed out. The auctioneer cajoled me, saying how much I'd regret it if I didn't bid one more time - and he was right. I bit the bullet (figuratively, of course) and bid one last time - $200 over my limit. But my opponent stayed silent and I won the gun. I didn't "steal" it but I did get it for $300 to $600 under market, so I was happy.

There were some deals to be had there - a 6" Python from 1976 went for $2K. Another gun, on which I had intended to bid, but didn't after I went over limit, went for a bargain $375 - it was an NRA Centennial Winchester Model 94 Musket (I have the rifle). I also bid on a Model 12-2 S&W, 2" barrel round butt (impossible to find), but dropped out when it went too high.

At any rate, here are some pics...

2n809bt.jpg

Butt stock...

qnl9vs.jpg

Original 71 Deluxe and the "new" 71 High Grade (they are the same size - it's just the perspective)...

nxl3r7.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 10

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

Sweet! That place is like 5-7 minutes from my house. Right across form buckingham elementary on 413 right?

Yes, that's it. They have auctions weekly, but gun auctions happen whenever they have enough to make it interesting. This was made up from three estates and it has been probably three or four months since the last one.

On June 23, they are auctioning BDR Cobra that was owned by one of the estates from the gun auction. Gorgeous car, silver with a red stripe and interior and an aluminum 427.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

2 hours ago, bennj said:

Congrats, the engraving and stock make that one beaut of a rifle, but I bet your dad's 71 is a most treasured heirloom.

You've got that 100% correct.