Sign in to follow this  
1LtCAP

comcast question

my next question........

i'm making what used to be my "toy room" into my mothers bedroom, as she won't be able to go up n down stairs when she can come home. so.....we have comcast cable. 2 boxes. main in my bedroom, secondary in the living room. i'm putting a big screen in her new bedroom. i don't want to have to buy a 3rd box. i thought there was some way to make the remote for these work from any room? she's the only one that uses the living room tv when she's here, so that one will not be in use at the same time as the one in her bedroom.

i was looking to use a splitter from out of the box to run to the tv in her room, but then i need a way for the remote to work. is this possible? or should i just go and get a 3rd cable box?

It’s possible. Best Buy has a box that the cable boxes route through which uses an RF remote. That remote can work through walls and floors. Doesn’t need line of sight. But everyone has to watch the same channel at the same time. 

Does it have to be cable?  Go get a $35 Amazon firestick. Gets you Netflix, YouTube, prime, etc.  any other option would prob be more expensive than getting the smaller Comcast DTA boxes.  Comcast does have a Roku app so you could run that if you get a smart roku tv. 

8 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

my next question........

i'm making what used to be my "toy room" into my mothers bedroom, as she won't be able to go up n down stairs when she can come home. so.....we have comcast cable. 2 boxes. main in my bedroom, secondary in the living room. i'm putting a big screen in her new bedroom. i don't want to have to buy a 3rd box. i thought there was some way to make the remote for these work from any room? she's the only one that uses the living room tv when she's here, so that one will not be in use at the same time as the one in her bedroom.

i was looking to use a splitter from out of the box to run to the tv in her room, but then i need a way for the remote to work. is this possible? or should i just go and get a 3rd cable box?

Question:  How badly do you need the box in your bedroom?   I ask, because I purposely don't have a TV in my bedroom as I find it can interfere with my sleep pattern.  I have one in my living room and one in my home office (where I spend most of my time).

You can buy a splitter, but it will only replicate what comes from its source box. If you want your mom to be able to change that, you really should have a box in her room.  Most of these remotes are "IR" meaning it has to have a line-of-sight between the remote and the box.   If you really need the box in your bedroom, then I'd have to go with three boxes, or sacrifice one of the current boxes you have.

Sorry... :dontknow:

10 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i was looking to use a splitter from out of the box to run to the tv in her room, but then i need a way for the remote to work. is this possible?

Yes, it's possible.

You need a IR repeater kit, which will allow the remote to work in a different room. Here's one version, there are a bunch of other configurations, you'll have to look at the kits based on your set-up.

https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Repeater-Control-Devices-Extender/dp/B01N674PE9

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

Yes, it's possible.

You need a IR repeater kit, which will allow the remote to work in a different room. Here's one version, there are a bunch of other configurations, you'll have to look at the kits based on your set-up.

https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Repeater-Control-Devices-Extender/dp/B01N674PE9

Interesting.... I'll have to check those out.... :D

If this is a comcast voice remote, I dunno if it is IR or radio, or possibly a hybrid. Take your cell phone, go to camera, and aim it at the front of the remote, if it is IR, you will see it on the camera screen as it transmits. Try changing channels. Then try using the voice remote part and see if it does use IR. I don't use the voice bit, but I can do things when pointed away from reflective surfaces and away from the box. When first set up, you pair the cable box and remote, so that makes me think there may be some sort of radio transmitter.

The remote isn’t the biggest hurdle. Getting the video signal to the other room could be a problem depending on the interface type. Coax (typical cable TV cable) could run a decent length depending what the box outputs. Other video cables like HDMI have a much shorter max length (~20 feet if I remember correctly). 

56 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

The remote isn’t the biggest hurdle. Getting the video signal to the other room could be a problem depending on the interface type. Coax (typical cable TV cable) could run a decent length depending what the box outputs. Other video cables like HDMI have a much shorter max length (~20 feet if I remember correctly). 

I have some 30' - 50' HDMI cables that work very well.  I have the output of my DVR/Security system split where one monitor is in my office room and the other (further away) is in my bedroom.  But it may depend on the quality of the cable.

I have some 30' - 50' HDMI cables that work very well.  I have the output of my DVR/Security system split where one monitor is in my office room and the other (further away) is in my bedroom.  But it may depend on the quality of the cable.

It also depends on the signal you are trying to convey. Any old HDMI cable can do 15 feet for 1080p, a decent cable can do 30-40 feet. But once you start trying to do 4K HDR at 60fps you’re best off with a fiber hdmi above 25 feet.

26 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

It also depends on the signal you are trying to convey. Any old HDMI cable can do 15 feet for 1080p, a decent cable can do 30-40 feet. But once you start trying to do 4K HDR at 60fps you’re best off with a fiber hdmi above 25 feet.

Fair enough...  I'm nowhere near 4K anything, at the moment.  I'm strictly 1080p, for now, as is most of my content. I'd only consider 4K when OTA broadcasts are more regular (and cable/fiber, etc), or more titles are released digitally in 4K.