Zack

Anybody here own a Canik TP9sfx?

15 posts in this topic

A buddy that I shoot with brought his new Canik TP9sfx to the range the other day.  I don't own any striker fired pistols and never really thought about picking one up until I played with the Canik a little.  My friend loves it, although he's only put a couple hundred rounds thorough it.  The reviews and YouTube videos are mostly positive, plus these things are only going for somewhere around $480 to $500 on gun broker for what looks a lot like a Walther PPQ clone.  Anyone have any history with one of these guns they'd like to share with the class?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zack said:

OK, anything more specific?

Yes

The Turkish government supports terrorists and wants us and Isreal wipped off the face of the planet.  

There are plenty of other options in the mid-size, 9mm, 15 round, striker fired world.

Ruger Security 9

Glock 19

CZ P10c

M&P Compact 2.0

Sig P320 Compact

We are living in good times, so don't settle for Allah's junk.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Yes

The Turkish government supports terrorists and wants us and Isreal wipped off the face of the planet.  

There are plenty of other options in the mid-size, 9mm, 15 round, striker fired world.

Ruger Security 9

Glock 19

CZ P10c

M&P Compact 2.0

Sig P320 Compact

We are living in good times, so don't settle for Allah's junk.

+1.  At that price point there are many other great options as Ray pointed out.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's an interesting alternative, Ruger Security 9.  I have shot a Canik (not that model) and was not terribly impressed.  Great price point, but other than that, meh. Still like the PPQ.  Hard to beat fine German engineering. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Yes

The Turkish government supports terrorists and wants us and Isreal wipped off the face of the planet.  

There are plenty of other options in the mid-size, 9mm, 15 round, striker fired world.

Ruger Security 9

Glock 19

CZ P10c

M&P Compact 2.0

Sig P320 Compact

We are living in good times, so don't settle for Allah's junk.

You forgot the best one: PPQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is it you liked about it?

Their hammer fired pistols are based on the CZ design.  Not sure about their striker fired.

You may want to look at the midsized CZs.  The P01 or the PCR are excellant firearms for about $100 - $150 more than you mentioned.  They are based on the full sized CZ-75 platform.  Most everyone who knows them hold CZs in high regards.  "Tack drivers" is a word you'll hear spoken often when they are mentioned.

They have a new striker fired , P10c, as others mentioned which I'm not familiar with but i believe has received good reviews.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Yes

The Turkish government supports terrorists and wants us and Isreal wipped off the face of the planet.  

There are plenty of other options in the mid-size, 9mm, 15 round, striker fired world.

Ruger Security 9

Glock 19

CZ P10c

M&P Compact 2.0

Sig P320 Compact

We are living in good times, so don't settle for Allah's junk.

I've shot all those guns including the Canik, i'd put the canik above the ruger and m&p personally.  Not judging it on the politics of the country it comes from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Mid sized 9mm

PPQ and VP9 are full sized guns

I don't know..The PPQ has a 4 inch barrel and is considered a compact. It is compared all the time to the Glock 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, carl_g said:

I don't know..The PPQ has a 4 inch barrel and is considered a compact. It is compared all the time to the Glock 19.

Okay, one more to the list then.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

What is it you liked about it?

Their hammer fired pistols are based on the CZ design.  Not sure about their striker fired.

You may want to look at the midsized CZs.  The P01 or the PCR are excellant firearms for about $100 - $150 more than you mentioned.  They are based on the full sized CZ-75 platform.  Most everyone who knows them hold CZs in high regards.  "Tack drivers" is a word you'll hear spoken often when they are mentioned.

They have a new striker fired , P10c, as others mentioned which I'm not familiar with but i believe has received good reviews.

 

This model Canik has a 5.2 inch barrel which is longer than the 4.9 inch barrel on my Beretta M9A1. so I'm not thinking it's a mid sized gun at all.

I own a CZ 75D PCR which is a great gun and more accurate than I am.

I've been thinking about picking up something new to use for the steel matches that I'm currently using the Beretta for.  Not that the Beretta doesn't perform very well.  I wanted something that would perform reasonably well out of the box that I could tweak later if I chose to.. 

One of the other options I've been considering is the Glock 34 gen 5 (barrel length 5.31).  You'll see these on gun broker for a 'buy now' price starting around $725.  Personally I didn't care for the stock trigger on these so I felt I would need to replace that to start with. The Canik has a very nice 3 to 4 lbs pull with a reset that I thought was better then the Glock, with a price point at $480.  Both guns are marketed as competition with match grade barrels.  Both shot accurately for me when I tried them at different times.

So given $725 + a new trigger for the Glock and $480 for the Canik with most everything else seeming similar I thought the Canik was worth some consideration. So I thought I'd see if anyone here had a bit more experience with a Canik that could let me know about any downsides I missed by only putting a few rounds though it.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zack said:

This model Canik has a 5.2 inch barrel which is longer than the 4.9 inch barrel on my Beretta M9A1. so I'm not thinking it's a mid sized gun at all.

I own a CZ 75D PCR which is a great gun and more accurate than I am.

I've been thinking about picking up something new to use for the steel matches that I'm currently using the Beretta for.  Not that the Beretta doesn't perform very well.  I wanted something that would perform reasonably well out of the box that I could tweak later if I chose to.. 

One of the other options I've been considering is the Glock 34 gen 5 (barrel length 5.31).  You'll see these on gun broker for a 'buy now' price starting around $725.  Personally I didn't care for the stock trigger on these so I felt I would need to replace that to start with. The Canik has a very nice 3 to 4 lbs pull with a reset that I thought was better then the Glock, with a price point at $480.  Both guns are marketed as competition with match grade barrels.  Both shot accurately for me when I tried them at different times.

So given $725 + a new trigger for the Glock and $480 for the Canik with most everything else seeming similar I thought the Canik was worth some consideration. So I thought I'd see if anyone here had a bit more experience with a Canik that could let me know about any downsides I missed by only putting a few rounds though it.  

Price on a competition gun should not be the first consideration, granted you can afford it, I have a G34 gen3 with a bunch of rounds through it.  It has been through many configurations and different barrels. Parts availability is good, loads of options for personal tailoring and different types of competition.  Just my two cents.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Old School said:

Price on a competition gun should not be the first consideration, granted you can afford it, I have a G34 gen3 with a bunch of rounds through it.  It has been through many configurations and different barrels. Parts availability is good, loads of options for personal tailoring and different types of competition.  Just my two cents.

I’m with you my Gen 3 34 is fantastic and I to have had in a variety of configs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now