panteramatt

Need camping/hiking ideas

Want to go camping with a few friends soon. They wanna do some hiking while were camping. Can anyone recommend a good area to look not far from south jersey? Looked at bushkill falls but its $17 pp just to hike. Dont wanna drive more than 3 hours. Tubing would be good too. 

AT is free at the Delaware Water Gap NRA, just beware of the snakes and bears, or camp at Hickory Run State Park in PA, all kinds of trails there, Boulder Field, and if you take your bikes you can ride the Lehigh Gorge Trail next door. Rafting is available on the Lehigh River but you'll need to check the schedule with vendors.

• Like 1

Check out the old loggers trail. It might be a little more than 3 hours drive depending on where in jersey your leaving from but it's a nice hike and it's a 27 mile loop so park on friday start on the trail and get back to your car on Sunday. It followed an old narrow gauge railroad so not much steep grades. And it's all free backcountry camping. There are a few pre made campsights along the trail that arw first come first serve. nothing in the way of tubing but there are a few streams. Yellow dog has some great trout fishing if your into that. One of the best dinners ive ever had was fresh trout caught there and cooked over the camp fire after a long day of hiking!

http://www.pahikes.com/trails/old-loggers-path

Start your hike in Batsto Village.  You'll hike 11 miles through the pine barrens to Atsion Lake.  There are two camp grounds along the way. .One is called Lower Forge and it's primitive site.  There is a second camp ground with a water pump but I can't remember the name.  Trails are easy to follow and you have a river on both sides so it's just about impossible to get lost.

Or...

do the same journey the other direction (Atsion to Batsto) in a Canoe on the Mullica River.  Canoe camping is great because you can carry lots and lots of gear, it's easier than walking, and it's fun.  We've done this trip a dozen times.  It will be very easy now because we've had so much rain.  If it's been dry, it can be tough to get through a few low spots but it should be smooth sailing (no pun intended) now.  You'll end up about a mile, maybe less, from Batsto.  There is easy parking on both ends of the trip right where you launch the boat and right were you take out.

Thats right. Ive roughed it for years and screw that anymore. Everytime I tented it rained all weekend. Dont get me wrong we still go out primitive every now and then but Im too old for that crap all the time anymore. Rather have my stereo and blender pumping. Plus I own a primitive cabin in 2 states when I wanna get in touch with nature. 

Cape May County has more camping spaces per square mile then anywhere else east of the Mississippi River. 

Belleplain State forest has RV sites, a lake and quite a few trails. 

Historic Cape May City is a nice area to walk, not really a nature hike but a beautiful walk nonetheless. 

Cape May Point State Park has a few miles of trails and beaches. 

You can stroll through Wildwood and get punched by the police (that’s a joke). 

• Like 2