67gtonut

Firearm found in Penske Rental tonight

So I come in for my Shift ( I work 3rd shift) .... and found out that one of the clean up guys found a firearm in one of the One Way Penske rentals turned in today....

Renter was from Texas and rented the truck One Way..... Sig P2022 in .40 loaded, Hollow Points..... left in Glovebox....

Parsippany Police came and took report and pistol.....  Unfortunately, another free citizen will end up with felony charges for not knowing NJ laws....

I will update if I get any more info....

• Like 1

If I had access to his info, I would have done the guy a solid and called him directly to come back to get his piece and let him know its not kosher to conceal carry or transport a firearm in that manner in the PRNJ.       

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

If I had access to his info, I would have done the guy a solid and called him directly to come back to get his piece and let him know its not kosher to conceal carry or transport a firearm in that manner in the PRNJ.       

If I had found it..... and no one saw it other then me.... Yeah, I might have done that. BUT since multiple people already knew about pistol within minutes of the employee finding it.... no way around doing it by the book... 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, brucin said:

It must have been in there when I rented the truck. I never looked in the glove box.

yea thats possible if the gun is not registered. If its legally his he is screwed. it will come up when they run the serial number.

1 minute ago, 67gtonut said:

and it got worse.....

guy did rent from Texas..... One Way ..... BUT

He is a NJ resident ..... so, no real excuse to not know the laws.... 

Eeeeeekkk!  That's awful.  Although I do wonder what he was thinking.  :facepalm:

Wow...it is unfathomable how bad this guy's life is going to get.

So many people just don't bother to learn the laws...as insane as they are. Sadly a lot of people will get jammed up over the next 3 1/2  years.

1 hour ago, W2MC said:
5 hours ago, bhunted said:

...or a retired cop.

Hope so for his sake

Not that I want to wish ill on someone, but no... he should suffer the consequences just the same as us mere civilians.  I hate the rules as much as the next person, but them's the rules, and they should be applied equally.  Perhaps if a supposed "protected" person were to learn they weren't so protected, they would choose differently when it comes to who makes the rules, and who enforces them.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 67gtonut said:

and it got worse.....

guy did rent from Texas..... One Way ..... BUT

He is a NJ resident ..... so, no real excuse to not know the laws.... 

So it is possible that, if the rental is from Texas it was in there already and he really didn't look in the glove box. Unlikely but possible

Now here is a question. I have a C&R FFL, That NJ does not recognize. Now it says in the FFL handbook that when I am in the process of picking up a firearm, I am allowed to be armed. In the state of NJ. If I had a firearm in the glovebox, would I be covered?

Not that I would ever have one in the glovebox!

20 minutes ago, 1563621 said:

Now here is a question. I have a C&R FFL, That NJ does not recognize. Now it says in the FFL handbook that when I am in the process of picking up a firearm, I am allowed to be armed. In the state of NJ. If I had a firearm in the glovebox, would I be covered?

Not that I would ever have one in the glovebox!

:facepalm:

Who said NJ does not "recognize" your C&R? By NJ, whom do you mean? Court, NJSP FIU, NJAG? What FFL Handbook are you referencing? Allowed to be armed? Even if you had an FFL01, no rights are given to be armed. 

• Like 1

Wow...it is unfathomable how bad this guy's life is going to get.
So many people just don't bother to learn the laws...as insane as they are. Sadly a lot of people will get jammed up over the next 3 1/2  years.
Life? What life? This dude's never going to see the light of day when the Murph is done with him. Lol

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, 9X19 said:

Imagine if Missouri had a law that it was a felony to have a red pen in your left pants pocket and having a red pen in your left pants pocket was an automatic 3-1/2 to 10 years in prison. Would you research pen carrying laws before visiting Missouri?  I wouldn't think to do so.  It's too silly to think that carrying a pen would be illegal.  NJ's laws are that silly to the rest of the country.  They don't fail to learn our laws as much as they just never imagine that such ridiculous laws could even exist.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, MartyZ said:

So it is possible that, if the rental is from Texas it was in there already and he really didn't look in the glove box. Unlikely but possible

I'd say that's possible, but wouldn't you think the person that "lost" it in the glove box, would have already gone back to the truck rental place?  I can't imagine the truck got turned around THAT fast.  Maybe I'm wrong.

ETA: how long until we should see something in the "news" cycle?

3 hours ago, sota said:

I'd say that's possible, but wouldn't you think the person that "lost" it in the glove box, would have already gone back to the truck rental place?  I can't imagine the truck got turned around THAT fast.  Maybe I'm wrong.

ETA: how long until we should see something in the "news" cycle?

EXACTLY!  The Newspaperman inside of me wants to call the Po-Po that handled this & identify myself w/ my credentials and ask questions BUT the gun owner / activist in me is thinking I don't want to put any additional pressure on the Po-Po to lock-up or charge the guns' owner with anything (since no harm came from it), even if it turns out the owner is somehow politically connected, a retired LEO w/ LEOSA exemption, or a member of the Armed Forces.  Why?  Because NJ politicians are busily screwing us as I type this & I don't want to "give them any more reason to do so"!

With a C&R I am NOT allowed to purchase a C&R firearm and ship to my address. Must go to an 01 FFL.

That maybe changing with the new law that puts an end to private sales.

No chance I would have called the police on the guy. Would have called him or disassembled and thrown into multiple storm sewers.

Hopefully he originally bought it in Texas as a private sale then he can simply say what gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 6/6/2018 at 5:42 AM, GramGun79 said:

yea thats possible if the gun is not registered. If its legally his he is screwed. it will come up when they run the serial number.

Amazing that in this state he would have been better off with an illegal firearm.