Recon Racoon

To SBR or SPR?

I'm going to start a new build soon(ish). I'm stuck between an SBR in .300 black or an SPR. SPR would probably be 5.56, but I really want to do an 18 inch 6.5 grendel or 6.8 SPC II if budget allows. Both would be range toys. I already have a 16 inch AR in 5.56 set up for SD/HD.

If you were going to build, what would it be? What would your dream SBR be? Same for your SPR?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Everyone needs at least one SPR. :D

Of the three calibers listed, I believe 5.56/223 will offer the best overall ballistic performance and economy. 6.5 is an excellent caliber but you will be very limited in bullet selection with the Grendel cartridge.  If you want to do a 6.5, then CM in an AR10 is a far better way to go.

My personal dream AR is a real deal, true to life, "Honey Badger" but being that I live in NJ, that's not gonna happen. 

Shooting an AR at distance is fun and challenging but to get the right ballistics you may be single loading.  Not a big deal but it defeats the purpose of a semi.  I'd do a bolt gun for that, personally.  But I'd do a bolt gun for most things.  If I was gonna do a distance AR and wasn't interested in F-Class, I'd do a 6.5 Grendel.  Or the 6mm Grendel.  I really like the ballistics on the 6's and 6.5's.  

If you do a HB clone, please post pics and tag me.  I'm a fan of that rifle.  I believe it's a 2 stamp rifle tho.  I may be incorrect on that one.  

I'm torn bro. I really like the idea of an 8.5 inch 300 black. And it is a two stamp project, one for the SBR, one for the can. But it would be a lot of fun at 100 yards or less.
And I love the idea of 6.5 grendel at range. Maintains velocity better than 5.56 at ranges greater than 500, and if I ever wanted to hunt with it, it has the legs for deer and yotes.

As far as bolt guns go, I have my ww2 collection, and I'm looking at another mosin to butcher into a brush gun. 18 inch barrel, either pistol scope on a scout mount or figure out a way to get like a ghost ring sight going. Chop the fore end down, and rework the butt and grip. Maybe thread the muzzle and throw a flash suppressor on it or a good .308 comp. Just absolutely bubba the hell out of it.

My personal dream AR is a real deal, true to life, "Honey Badger" but being that I live in NJ, that's not gonna happen. 
Shooting an AR at distance is fun and challenging but to get the right ballistics you may be single loading.  Not a big deal but it defeats the purpose of a semi.  I'd do a bolt gun for that, personally.  But I'd do a bolt gun for most things.  If I was gonna do a distance AR and wasn't interested in F-Class, I'd do a 6.5 Grendel.  Or the 6mm Grendel.  I really like the ballistics on the 6's and 6.5's.  
If you do a HB clone, please post pics and tag me.  I'm a fan of that rifle.  I believe it's a 2 stamp rifle tho.  I may be incorrect on that one.  

If you don’t have an SBR in any caliber that’s the way to go.  I have done a dozen assorted length and calibers over the last three years.  5.56, .300, 6.5G, .458 Socom, 9mm.  Apply for a suppressor at the same time.   300 and 458 are awesome suppressed.  

This is how I'm leaving right now. The SPR build I want to do is going to run me close to if not over 1k, and that's just the base rifle, that's not including glass.

I can do a .300 bo build for half that plus stamp.

If you don’t have an SBR in any caliber that’s the way to go.  I have done a dozen assorted length and calibers over the last three years.  5.56, .300, 6.5G, .458 Socom, 9mm.  Apply for a suppressor at the same time.   300 and 458 are awesome suppressed.