Soclydeza

Philipsburg Pistol Club?

I used to be able to shoot on private family property in Hunterdon, which was awesome, but I guess we have some new neighbors who complained to us about me shooting my 9mm yesterday (never had a problem before, 60 acres in heavily wooded area, hunters come on the property all the time without complaint, guessing they're antis just being dicks).  Anyway, I really don't want to poke at the hornets nest, being that owning a gun feels more like a probationary privilege than a right in NJ and all it takes is one complaint to get the cops at my door.  So I'm trying to find a new home where I can shoot in peace.

I was looking at the Philipsburg Pistol Club and was wondering if there are any members on the forum who could tell me about it.  How can I join?  How often can you go there to shoot?  I looked at their website but it doesn't have anything for prospective members.  Any information/experiences would be appreciated.

My other option is RTSP, or joining both if the Philipsburg dues arent too high; being able to shoot outdoors is a big plus for me but I want to be able to shoot rifles too.

Any other insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I like the P'burg club. I shoot there almost weekly. I'm not a member, but my uncle guests me in. I opted to join SCFGPA instead, but only because I pass within a couple miles of it several times a week - so it just seemed to have a better location for me. Though, sadly, I haven't really gotten into a regular routine after joining. 

P'burg is small - 50 ft indoor range and "old school" - no automatic target returns or fancy stuff like that. You get a key fob so you can let yourself in, and they also have a couple nights a week when a range officer is there if you prefer that. Most of the time when I go, my uncle and I are the only 2 there - which I like. They don't have a bunch of different "league nights" like SCFGPA - that's kind of an advantage, because you can pretty much go there and grab a lane with no problem. It's a nice little club. Not fancy, but utilitarian, neat and clean. I give it a thumbs up!

What do you shoot (exactly? .22 rifle? high-powered)? And where in Hunterdon do you live? There are other options around, including outdoors, that I can tell you about too. I'm sure others will chime in too. Be more specific as to what you're looking for.

I live in the Oldwick/Whitehouse area.  By rifle I mean .223/5.56.  As for right now pistol shooting is my main focus, I'd just like the option of occasionally shooting rifles or shotguns.  Being able to shoot more than just paper (steel targets, cans, whatever) is a huge plus but I understand a lot of places dont allow that.  Having freedom of time is great too, coming in early on the weekends or in the evening on weekdays without having to come only during a specific window of time.  A good community feel is a plus too, I'd like to be able to meet some other shooters in the area.  As for yardage, the more the better though I'd mainly be doing 25-100, depending on what I'm shooting.  Old school is fine by me, I dont need all that high tech stuff (though thats always good to have too).

OK, I asked because .223 I think means you cannot, for example, use the Clinton Wildlife Management Area (WMA) - you could if you had a .22 and got a hunting license. It's 100 yards. Other options would be SCFGPA (underground tubes for the rifles)… some people also join a really low-cost PA range - like Easton Fish & Game Association for their rifle shooting, or get a PA hunting license to use their WMA-type ranges.

If you like, I'll talk to my uncle - perhaps you can meet us some evening if you want to checkout the P'burg range. Likewise, I can guest you in if you want to eyeball SCFGPA. Let me know. PM me.

Oh, FYI... this is JUST MY OPINION... but I wouldn't just throw in the towel shooting on your own damn family property either. I'd politely ask the neighbors - "are there 1 or 2 times a week that the noise is most bothersome for you? Let me know what those are, and I'll try to avoid them." Be polite, be friendly, hell, offer to show them how to shoot... but why totally capitulate if it's allowed? That doesn't seem right. As a community, perhaps we shouldn't be knuckling under to unreasonable people. Think about it.

@Mrs. Peel is bob bajor still involved with them, he might have been an RO there or something. Just curious, he was my physics teacher at north hunterdon high school. He was pretty whacky bit a really nice guy and used to promote the NRA in class lol.

14 minutes ago, fishnut said:

@Mrs. Peel is bob bajor still involved with them, he might have been an RO there or something. Just curious, he was my physics teacher at north hunterdon high school. He was pretty whacky bit a really nice guy and used to promote the NRA in class lol.

He was my instructor for Basic Pistol out in some town in Pennsy (don't even remember where). For a long time, he's been one of the RO's at P'burg one night a week. As far as I know, he still is!

I think he's a sweetie. If I see him, I'll let him know you asked about him.

Damn, I just looked into SCFGPA, it's the closest range/club to me and seems like it'd be great, but they're not accepting new members at the moment.  I'd love to check out PPC, i'll PM you once I settle my schedule to see if we can arrange something.

Yeah I know it's private property but knowing that someone is sitting there pussfaced because of distant gunshots in a such a gun-unfriendly state makes me feel uncomfortable (she wasnt just politely asking, she was kind of a bitch about it, I almost thought one of my bullets landed on her property or something with how annoyed she seemed about it.)

Of course, I actually spent a few days with a skidsteer leveling the ground and building a 7-8 foot tall backstop from dirt, rocks, wood, etc.  It's also on a hill where I shoot so the bullets go into the ground anyway, the backstop is just an extra protective measure incase I accidentally shoot real high or something.

@Soclydeza  just because someone complains doesn't make them an "Anti" or a dick.  I know many say gunfire is music to their ears but they dont hear it all the time.  Dont compare it to hunters. Interim shots by hunters is much different than you putting a few hundred rounds through your 9mm or a mag dump from your AR.  Try talking to them as Peel suggested.

Do you have a backstop?

7 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

@Soclydeza  just because someone complains doesn't make them an "Anti" or a dick.  I know many say gunfire is music to their ears but they dont hear it all tge time.  Dont compare it ti hunters. Interim shots by hunters is much different than you putting a few hundred rounds through your 9mm or a mag dump from your AR.  Try talking to them as Peel suggested.

Do you have a backstop?

I'm just assuming that because she had an attitude about it.  You could be right though.  either way, if she is an anti I know she'd be more than willing to make this a messy situation if I temp it.  See my above post about the backstop.

4 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

He was my instructor for Basic Pistol out in some town in Pennsy (don't even remember where). For a long time, he's been one of the RO's at P'burg one night a week. As far as I know, he still is!

I think he's a sweetie. If I see him, I'll let him know you asked about him.

Very cool, I'm sure he wont remember me. If anything it would probably be in a bad light, I was pretty crazy back then and not a good student. LMAO. I do remember him though he was the only teacher who spoke of firearms in a positive manor. My freshmen year, the year I had him as a teacher was the same year as the Columbine shooting. I was one of the only students that was into firearms although I never discussed it with him. I was more interested in girls lol