It's NJ nothing is that easy. Still need PTP to get a handgun but don't need the additional NICS check for C&R handgun, and you don't need a FFL01 to transfer, but only between two FFL03. CMP probably won't ship still because they still need to fill out a COE. Out of state sellers likely won't want to fill out NJ's registration paperwork for handguns, so it probably won't matter much, but the way I read it you can have it shipped to house. Longguns also shipped to your house. Also can pick up out of state. Automatic exemption from OGAM.

FFL03 is Federal so it does transfer. I believe you just need to fill out a change of address.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sold me on it. Will start paperwork tomorrow.

Very worse, I’ll be getting C&R guns in NM or TX...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, capt14k said:

Read it closer.

I said really just me meaning he only has one Milsurp Collecting Customer.

I'm just bustin' your chops for mentioning mitchells mausers and milsurp in the same sentence, them being bastardized and all... all in good fun :D

Questions... if anyone else is doing this.

Part A, question 8; fine to just put cell phone? No fax, don’t have a business email (not a “business”), but also don’t have another number other than my cell. Down in Part B, my email and cell number (telephone) are also listed. No information is not being disclosed... just limited points of contact.

Part A, question 9; I’m guessing this is along the lines of the NH Carry Permit. I’d guess, “acquiring curio/relic firearms for my own personal collection.”

Part A, question 12; we have to put at least an hour down for when ATF can contact us... so was going to put down a block of time on Tuesday... which tends to be my day off. Do I have to put anything in the other days (closed or not available)?

Part B, question 12; leave blank if lived at the same address for over five years?

Part B... under picture; print full name? No picture or fingerprints are needed for the FFL 03. Figured just add it in.

Then send a copy to the ATF and my local Chief... both Certified (I’ll probably add a note to the Chief, just so he isn’t confused with it).

I'm just bustin' your chops for mentioning mitchells mausers and milsurp in the same sentence, them being bastardized and all... all in good fun [emoji3]

Yeah Mitchells sucks. Steve had a customer who happens to be one of my “favorite” type of people who loves getting robbed on Mitchell Mausers.

Questions... if anyone else is doing this.

Part A, question 8; fine to just put cell phone? No fax, don’t have a business email (not a “business”), but also don’t have another number other than my cell. Down in Part B, my email and cell number (telephone) are also listed. No information is not being disclosed... just limited points of contact.

Part A, question 9; I’m guessing this is along the lines of the NH Carry Permit. I’d guess, “acquiring curio/relic firearms for my own personal collection.”

Part A, question 12; we have to put at least an hour down for when ATF can contact us... so was going to put down a block of time on Tuesday... which tends to be my day off. Do I have to put anything in the other days (closed or not available)?

Part B, question 12; leave blank if lived at the same address for over five years?

Part B... under picture; print full name? No picture or fingerprints are needed for the FFL 03. Figured just add it in.

Then send a copy to the ATF and my local Chief... both Certified (I’ll probably add a note to the Chief, just so he isn’t confused with it).

Yes

Yes

Yes

No write current address and dates you have lived there

Yes

Yes there is a cover letter on garandgear.com to send to chief

• Thanks 1

Is this informational only or can the Chief stop this at his desk? 
Cover letter I sent with it specifically states this is for informational purposes as per the law and you need to do nothing. Not those exact words but close

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have had 03 FFL for about 10 years. First interview took place at my job. But, I had a pink card already. Interview took about 45 minutes.

Still need PTP to get a handgun but don't need the additional NICS check for C&R handgun, and you don't need a FFL01 to transfer, but only between two FFL03...

Out of state sellers likely won't want to fill out NJ's registration paperwork for handguns, so it probably won't matter much, but the way I read it you can have it shipped to house....

Automatic exemption from OGAM.

Got everything packed, ready to go to the post office at lunch. But question on the above quote...

Having a FFL 03, does a pistol transfer have to take place within NJ borders? Meaning, if someone goes to PA (Oaks, for example), purchases a C&R eligible pistol, and comes back to NJ... kosher?

I know pistols between individuals from different states must go through an FFL per Federal law. Since it isn’t a business... wasn’t sure if there is an exception for that situation. When you read the definition on the application for a FFL 03, it specifically says “firearms” and interstate commerce. It also states that it confers no right to conduct activity contrary to State/other law. NJ law stops at the Delaware River...

Got everything packed, ready to go to the post office at lunch. But question on the above quote...

Having a FFL 03, does a pistol transfer have to take place within NJ borders? Meaning, if someone goes to PA (Oaks, for example), purchases a C&R eligible pistol, and comes back to NJ... kosher?

I know pistols between individuals from different states must go through an FFL per Federal law. Since it isn’t a business... wasn’t sure if there is an exception for that situation. When you read the definition on the application for a FFL 03, it specifically says “firearms” and interstate commerce. It also states that it confers no right to conduct activity contrary to State/other law. NJ law stops at the Delaware River...

According to Federal Law a FFL03 can take delivery at home or anywhere in their own state or one of the other 49 states as long as they do so within the law of the state and handgun is C&R elogible.

My reading of the bill is you can have a handgun delivered to your home however you must have a PTP and the seller must fill out the paperwork and still send it in. This is highly unlikely to happen with any seller. The seller also must be a FFL03.

As for going to another state and purchasing a handgun with a FFL03 my reading of the law is yes you can do so and you can bring it back to NJ. However I have always felt a FFL03 who lives in NJ could do so. If one were to be safe and be within the letter of the law you would again need a PTP and the seller would have to fill out the paperwork and send it in. Again it is highly unlikely that sellers in free states will do so.

• Like 2

Sent in on Wednesday (6/13). Copy of application to HTPD was delivered on Friday (6/15).

Checked the status of certified mail this morning (6/18), wasn’t delivered. So was dropped to ATF between 8:00AM and 11:30AM. Charged my card a little bit ago.

Now the waiting begins...

Do you really want the ATF at your home?   I am interested in this and have been but I thought it was futile in NJ and it was - however - even in Free America - I have a problem with the ATF coming into my home for any kind of 'inspection'
The negatives outweigh the positives - convince me I am wrong...!

A nice old lade came and sat at my kitchen table and explained the rules. Basically how to enter info into you books.

No big deal and no inspection was done.

A nice old lade came and sat at my kitchen table and explained the rules. Basically how to enter info into you books.

No big deal and no inspection was done.

I've been trying to figure out if auto correct changed lad or lady to lade.

So, C&R licenses are finally being recognized by the State of NJ. But... who will even ship to NJ? I can see it now, spending hours on the phone trying to convince a seller to ship direct to your door.

Since the 03 is a FFL are you exempt from NJ’s assault weapons ban? Are M1 carbines okay to purchase and take possession of? Magazines? 

So, C&R licenses are finally being recognized by the State of NJ. But... who will even ship to NJ? I can see it now, spending hours on the phone trying to convince a seller to ship direct to your door.
Since the 03 is a FFL are you exempt from NJ’s assault weapons ban? Are M1 carbines okay to purchase and take possession of? Magazines? 

I think everyone has missed the point in this law. The law applies to “licensed retail dealers” not FFL’s. In this state having an FFL does not mean you can deal in firearms. You must apply for a retail firearms license from the state. In fact the ATF wont even process your FFL until they get word from the state that you have applied for a retail license. The state wont issue a retail license to 03’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The law applies to C&R Licensees (FFL03) for acquisition of Curio & Relic Firearms only.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

To expand on this and respond to Mike J.’s post, when you fill out the application for the FFL 03, it clearly states that the license does not supersede state/other law. It also states it is not a license to carry, use, or possess a firearm (similarly stated for other FFLs, as well).

A M1 Carbine is technically a C&R weapon. However, it is an “assault weapon” under NJ law. Getting one via a FFL 03 may be possible, but once you bring it into NJ, you are in violation of NJ law (second degree crime). Not a smart move, nor would be one I’d suggest... as it is clearly against the law (no gray area at all). Even getting a trapper model Winchester/Marlin, with a sub 16” barrel is “allowed” with a FFL 03... still can be jammed up by NJ law (a “sawed off shotgun...” which that definition still pisses me off). Getting an FFL to do shady crap is just a bad idea... pretty close to as bad of an idea of just doing shady crap.

Magazine capacity (as specified under the law) is still 10 rounds whether you have a FFL 03 or not. Having that license doesn’t give you any benefit in regards to specific types of firearms over any other civilian within NJ. All it does is if you purchase a firearm from another FFL 03, you do not need to go through a FFL 01/NICS. It would be similar to a current private transfer... but would be recorded in both bound books.

Is this something that is going to be super awesome for me when it comes back? No... at least while I am in NJ (well, discounts from some websites are good). Once I’m outside of NJ, and change the address (three year license), I’ll be able to have more latitude of what I can acquire. Handguns, rifles (M1 Carbine, specifically), and things considered “assault weapons” can then go straight to my home.

Stuff in NJ, I’m sort of good on rifles... but I will say that there is always the chance I find something new that I’d like to pick up. I’d probably have a better chance at getting a pistol off the license than anything else (a CZ-52 is on my short list... also a Makarov; I also wouldn’t mind finding a few Browning designs prior to the 1911, as well as S&W revolvers). If you aren’t into older firearms, then getting the FFL 03 likely isn’t an awesome return on investment. But some of the early Colt ARs are starting to get C&R status... so definitely something to look forward to (again, outside of NJ).
  • Like 1

To expand on this and respond to Mike J.’s post, when you fill out the application for the FFL 03, it clearly states that the license does not supersede state/other law. It also states it is not a license to carry, use, or possess a firearm (similarly stated for other FFLs, as well).

A M1 Carbine is technically a C&R weapon. However, it is an “assault weapon” under NJ law. Getting one via a FFL 03 may be possible, but once you bring it into NJ, you are in violation of NJ law (second degree crime). Not a smart move, nor would be one I’d suggest... as it is clearly against the law (no gray area at all). Even getting a trapper model Winchester/Marlin, with a sub 16” barrel is “allowed” with a FFL 03... still can be jammed up by NJ law (a “sawed off shotgun...” which that definition still pisses me off). Getting an FFL to do shady crap is just a bad idea... pretty close to as bad of an idea of just doing shady crap.

Magazine capacity (as specified under the law) is still 10 rounds whether you have a FFL 03 or not. Having that license doesn’t give you any benefit in regards to specific types of firearms over any other civilian within NJ. All it does is if you purchase a firearm from another FFL 03, you do not need to go through a FFL 01/NICS. It would be similar to a current private transfer... but would be recorded in both bound books.

Is this something that is going to be super awesome for me when it comes back? No... at least while I am in NJ (well, discounts from some websites are good). Once I’m outside of NJ, and change the address (three year license), I’ll be able to have more latitude of what I can acquire. Handguns, rifles (M1 Carbine, specifically), and things considered “assault weapons” can then go straight to my home.

Stuff in NJ, I’m sort of good on rifles... but I will say that there is always the chance I find something new that I’d like to pick up. I’d probably have a better chance at getting a pistol off the license than anything else (a CZ-52 is on my short list... also a Makarov; I also wouldn’t mind finding a few Browning designs prior to the 1911, as well as S&W revolvers). If you aren’t into older firearms, then getting the FFL 03 likely isn’t an awesome return on investment. But some of the early Colt ARs are starting to get C&R status... so definitely something to look forward to (again, outside of NJ).

Remember handgun purchases still require a permit to purchase even with a FFL03. However the FFL03 removes the need for a FFL01 or NICS check as well as OGAM. Unfortunately no one in their right mind outside NJ will sell us a handgun and send in the paperwork with their name on it to NJSP and local PD.

13 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Remember handgun purchases still require a permit to purchase even with a FFL03. However the FFL03 removes the need for a FFL01 or NICS check as well as OGAM. Unfortunately no one in their right mind outside NJ will sell us a handgun and send in the paperwork with their name on it to NJSP and local PD.

Why would they?  The PP has in red at the top, "THIS PERMIT IS FOR USE ONLY IN NEW JERSEY".

Why would they?  The PP has in red at the top, "THIS PERMIT IS FOR USE ONLY IN NEW JERSEY".

Well they wouldn't regardless because they wouldn't want their info in the Gestapo database, but it is being used in NJ by being sent to NJ

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

Well they wouldn't regardless because they wouldn't want their info in the Gestapo database, but it is being used in NJ by being sent to NJ

Whatever they would or wouldn't do is pointless to argue as long as the permit says it's only for use in NJ.

Whatever they would or wouldn't do is pointless to argue as long as the permit says it's only for use in NJ.

And by being sent to NJ it is being used in NJ.

Pretty sure for use in NJ only is so that it isn't used in another state or submitted to another state.

18 minutes ago, capt14k said:

And by being sent to NJ it is being used in NJ.

Pretty sure for use in NJ only is so that it isn't used in another state or submitted to another state.

Buying a handgun in another state is a violation of Federal law.  I'm not saying that it should be.  Being that NICS is required everywhere I can't see why one can't buy a handgun in another state.

No doubt someone from NJ bought a handgun in another state in a private sale with a NJ P2P.  That's why it probably was added to the newer P2P.

Buying a handgun in another state is a violation of Federal law.  I'm not saying that it should be.  Being that NICS is required everywhere I can't see why one can't buy a handgun in another state. No doubt someone from NJ bought a handgun in another state in a private sale with a NJ P2P.  That's why it probably was added to the newer P2P.

No it isn't against federal law to buy a handgun in another state with a FFL03 if handgun is C&R . Also NICS is not required with FFL03 and in many states NICS is not required is you have a CCW. 

6 minutes ago, capt14k said:

No it isn't with a FFL03. Also NICS is not required with FFL03 and in many states with a CCW.

I'm not talking about buying with a FFL03.  I'm talking about the majority of people who don't have one.  Do what you want and the other 03 agrees with outside of NJ.  Outside of NJ you are only subject to Federal and state laws of the state you're in.

I don't think the "ONLY IN NJ" on the newer P2Ps was added as a stumbling block for 03s.  The newer forms have been put for well over a year.

17 minutes ago, capt14k said:

No it isn't against federal law to buy a handgun in another state with a FFL03 if handgun is C&R . Also NICS is not required with FFL03 and in many states NICS is not required is you have a CCW. 

I feel sorry Capt will not be able to take full advantage of his possible future FFL03. I vote he move to PA :)