bhunted

Putting together an exit game plan.

First things first. We need a new forum area called: NJ and Less

I am so pist about politics in general but even more pist that our Rhino Republican, lying conservatives have done squat.

So, in lieu of some posts on other areas combined into the political threads are the talks of leaving this effing state.

So please stay on topic, no politics, no arguing and follow my lead starting with this sentence. (Consider it helping each other with an exit strategy)...

I have a guideline. I’m not just looking for any old state that isn’t NJ. Here are my criteria’s, not in any particular order.

1) Is it 2A friendly. Guns and Ammo put out a list every year depicting a rating system based on that years trends.

Here is the link: http://www.gunsandammo.com/second-amendment/best-states-for-gun-owners-2017/

2) Amenities. We have to move where there is high speed internet. We can move anywhere in the country but wife will work from home and her company requires it.

3) At least an acre of land. I don’t want neighbors any closer than an acre. I’m not moving just to have neighbors close enough to hear me fart.

4) No HOA. If I want to hang a flag or paint my house purple, I want the freedom to do so.

5) At least 3 Bedrooms and 2 Baths. I can eliminate a bedroom and just put high speed internet in the bathroom beings she lives in it anyway. [emoji6]

6) Look at the towns crime stats. There are 2 decent ones via google. Area Vibes and Neighborhood Scout. I’m not sure they are perfectly accurate but if stats of the town is a 1 or an F, you don’t want it. The weird thing is my town comes in at a 34 which is kind of low because we don’t have much going on around here regarding crime. It might take a hit in points because we are next to the Paterson crap hole.

7) Watch for flood zones. Bring up a Fema flood plan of the town you are looking into.

8) How old are you? I don’t want to know but its a point. If you are handicapped or just a broken bastard like me, you don’t want to be trying to take care of acres of land plus your home. Which brings me to age vs injuries vs style of home. My knees are shot. I’m not getting any younger, so I prefer a ranch style home over the colonial I’m currently in now.

That’s pretty much it for me. I have started a spreadsheet of criteria. It contains most of the criteria above. Right now we are concentrating on Tennessee. Anywhere east of Nashville. You can buy a new home for $230k or less. I say east of Nashville because we want no part of Tornado Alley.

If you are very serious in moving, you need to stay motivated. If you don’t, you’ll never leave. Keep a binder with all your data and interests. Use it to keep going forward. Add and update as necessary. Keep it handy like on the coffee table so it stares at you. BTW, use Zillow. Much better than Realtor.com or Trulia.They also have an app that is fantastic. Make sure you sign up for free account. Also, put your current home in, claim it and edit its info to correct any missing data. They will also email you trends of your homes worth.

Good luck!

Front of binder:

760fbfa8d90fd0ae62eb0d86fe58f0cc.jpg

Back of binder:

7c3017a1c9ab135f91c1859d7c6f606a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I want to move to Florida, mostly for better weather than here in NJ and a change of scenery, but more gun rights are a big bonus.

It's really just that not everyone has the freedom to just up and leave. You might have attachments to friends, family, and a job, and then there's the matter of the money needed to find a place.

59 minutes ago, 70gto said:

Tennessee or Texas. Pa is getting ruined by liberals from NJ

1 hour ago, slickskin said:

I want to move to Florida, mostly for better weather than here in NJ and a change of scenery, but more gun rights are a big bonus.

It's really just that not everyone has the freedom to just up and leave. You might have attachments to friends, family, and a job, and then there's the matter of the money needed to find a place.

I'd be very cautious of both Texas and Florida.  Sadly, Florida is not as 2A friendly as it used to be.  Too many anti's moving down here from the northeast who want things "the way we had it up there," and too many politicians trying to cater to them.  This, plus the influx of the refugees from the Hurricanes in Puerto Rico and close by islands. If they're allowed to vote, we could be in serious trouble. We are all very concerned that Florida could turn "purple" if it hasn't already.  But we will fight for it.  We'll know better after the primaries in August.

As for Texas,  Austin is already "blue." Dallas and Houston are at risk Tuscon in Az is already blue, as well as places like Sedona..  Maybe Tenn. will be OK for a while, but it can still have some bad weather there. 

To be honest, I don't think there will be anywhere that will be totally "safe."  I think you have to pick an area and then fight for it if there's any chance that you can stop the anti wave.  Sadly, I think NJ is too far gone.  But the other places are worth fighting for, including Fl. 

Keep in mind that this is not a 2A thread. Its about moving and what to look for and best way to go about it. We have already determined that its not just about the 2A. Its a collective of everything that hurts us in NJ. Taxes, insurance, etc....

Whatever your reason is for leaving, no matter where too, use these guidelines. Also, if you have guidelines, post them.

But please, we have enough political threads.

This is about moving and the best way to go about it.[emoji3]

1 hour ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

I'd be very cautious of both Texas and Florida.  Sadly, Florida is not as 2A friendly as it used to be.  Too many anti's moving down here from the northeast who want things "the way we had it up there," and too many politicians trying to cater to them.  This, plus the influx of the refugees from the Hurricanes in Puerto Rico and close by islands. If they're allowed to vote, we could be in serious trouble. We are all very concerned that Florida could turn "purple" if it hasn't already.  But we will fight for it.  We'll know better after the primaries in August.

As for Texas,  Austin is already "blue." Dallas and Houston are at risk Tuscon in Az is already blue, as well as places like Sedona..  Maybe Tenn. will be OK for a while, but it can still have some bad weather there. 

To be honest, I don't think there will be anywhere that will be totally "safe."  I think you have to pick an area and then fight for it if there's any chance that you can stop the anti wave.  Sadly, I think NJ is too far gone.  But the other places are worth fighting for, including Fl. 

If that was the only reason for wanting to move I'd say it might not be the best one because right, no where in the country is safe from this gun control liberal wave we're seeing. I know Florida is actually being very affected because of that last shooting there and that little brat David Hogg.

But NJ really is done at this point. Even some gun owners on this forum disagreed with me when I said it's too hard to buy a gun in this state and too easy to have it taken away from you. People here were even suspicious towards me for being interested in buying a gun. So yeah, this state is done, so people should just focus on protecting rights in those other states we mentioned like Texas and Florida.

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Keep in mind that this is not a 2A thread. Its about moving and what to look for and best way to go about it. We have already determined that its not just about the 2A. Its a collective of everything that hurts us in NJ. Taxes, insurance, etc....

Whatever your reason is for leaving, no matter where too, use these guidelines. Also, if you have guidelines, post them.

But please, we have enough political threads.

This is about moving and the best way to go about it.emoji3.png

Well, in that case, there are several different variables. First, do you have permanent or temporary housing at your destination?  Do you need all your permanent belongings while you are "in transition?"  How much do you have to move and how far to your destination?

I can only relay my own experience. I made the first "official" move to FL in March of 2015. I found a house for rent rather cheap (on a 1.75 acre plot). It was a month-to-month lease. This, because still I had yet to sell my townhouse in NJ, although I was working toward that. I was also dealing with the eventual death of my Godmother and being her "Power of Atty" and, subsequently, the executor of her Estate.  That took me back and forth to/from Wash DC while dealing with that. Still, I got my townhouse in NJ sold in July, 2015. I was then able to start shopping for a place in FL which I found and  closed on  in Sept. 2015.  

For my first move (in March), I simply packed my vehicle with all my computers, active electronics, etc., and, of course, my "inventory..."  :D  and brought it all to FL, to my rental house (Landlord is former LEO, pro-2A very much - I had no problems), along with all the clothes I needed. I declared my FL residency and began that process of becoming a FL citizen.  The next major event was clearing the NJ townhouse of enough clutter to make it ready for sale) For that, I rented one of those PODS containers and packed what I could in it, That was about $3K including 3 months of storage.After the hosue was sold and I needed to clear out everything, I called a moving van to get rid of the rest of it. I also had some things stored in "storage lockers" locally in NJ as well as with a neighbor in my old 'hood.  The moving company charged me roughly $7000.00 to move the bulk of my belongings to FL. At the time, I still did not have my permanent housing in FL, so all of that property had to go into a larger storage locker in FL.  Both the moving van content and the PODS content were placed there.  Obviously, a lot cheaper to pay for the storage locker than have it stored by PODS. At this time I was also involved in cleaning out my Godmother's condo in DC and dealing with all her stuff as well, some of which also went into that storage locker. At least, at this point, all of my belongings were now in Fl.  

Once I bought my house in FL, it was then a matter of cleaning out the FL storage lockers as well as the rental house in which I had stayed.  For that, I simply used local U-Hall vans, and I had found some of those "Hire a helper" services to help me move and set up stuff in my new house. I did  have to do one "long distance" trip from my house to FL (via DC) as I was cleaning up the storage lockers I had rented in NJ.as well as dealing with the additional stuff from my Godmother's condo in DC which was undergoing the same same process.  So I had to find another storage locker (much closer to my new house - within 1 mile) that the "Estate" was paying for to store her stuff.  When the Estate was liquidated and the residual funds paid to the final beneficiaries, I kept that storage locker for a little while (was still dealing with 1700 sq ft. of stuff in an 1100 sq. ft. house).  But I also had to give that additional locker up as it was getting expensive. 

Anyway, that's what I did.  If I had to move again, I might do a few things differently.  I may have done PODS exclusively, but it depends on how quickly I can occupy the new premises, as well as how far I have to move. I think the moving company thing was way too expensive. But YMMV.

One caution I will say (and why it might be better to hire a moving co). You have to make sure that everything is very carefully packed.  Furniture that was assembled together "Ikea" style needs to be broken down into its pieces for moving. If you attempt to move it assembled, you run the risk of it being damaged with all the shaking and bumps and vibrations.  At least the movers I selected knew that, and did what they could to minimize damage. Still there was some.  Floor lamps should not rest on the floor, as the weight could cause them to be damaged. 

Just be carefull

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, slickskin said:

If that was the only reason for wanting to move I'd say it might not be the best one because right, no where in the country is safe from this gun control liberal wave we're seeing. I know Florida is actually being very affected because of that last shooting there and that little brat David Hogg.

Oh, it was happening long before Hogg.  Hogg just amplified it.  The Florida Retail Federation and "the Rodent" are two of the forces in favor of Gun control, and they have the $$$ to get to the politicans that keep pro-2A legislation off the committees, and off the House/Senate Floor in FL.  :mad:

But NJ really is done at this point. Even some gun owners on this forum disagreed with me when I said it's too hard to buy a gun in this state and too easy to have it taken away from you. People here were even suspicious towards me for being interested in buying a gun. So yeah, this state is done, so people should just focus on protecting rights in those other states we mentioned like Texas and Florida.

I get that NJ is done, on several different levels.  And I get that it's more than just 2A, but Taxes, bureaucracy, Nanny State stuff, regulations, etc. etc.  I just wish I could get my mom and sister (and family) to move away. But they're too invested in it. And (even worse), my niece and nephew have decided to stay "at home" while they pursue their higher education (my nephew in Jr. College, and my niece in Physical Therapy school (she just graduated from Univ. Of MD with her bachelors, and is doing a "remote" program from USC where she has to go there for a couple of weeks, twice a year). So I don't think they're going to move any time soon.

:facepalm:

11 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Oh, it was happening long before Hogg.  Hogg just amplified it.  The Florida Retail Federation and "the Rodent" are two of the forces in favor of Gun control, and they have the $$$ to get to the politicans that keep pro-2A legislation off the committees, and off the House/Senate Floor in FL.  :mad:

I get that NJ is done, on several different levels.  And I get that it's more than just 2A, but Taxes, bureaucracy, Nanny State stuff, regulations, etc. etc.  I just wish I could get my mom and sister (and family) to move away. But they're too invested in it. And (even worse), my niece and nephew have decided to stay "at home" while they pursue their higher education (my nephew in Jr. College, and my niece in Physical Therapy school (she just graduated from Univ. Of MD with her bachelors, and is doing a "remote" program from USC where she has to go there for a couple of weeks, twice a year). So I don't think they're going to move any time soon.

:facepalm:

I'm only here because I still live with my family meaning free rent. Otherwise I can't imagine why anyone would put up with the highest property taxes in that nation, no gun rights, traffic, bad weather, morons everywhere, and all that other stuff you mentioned. It's like what's the incentive lol? 

Hey! No politics![emoji37]

Well, in that case, there are several different variables. First, do you have permanent or temporary housing at your destination?  Do you need all your permanent belongings while you are "in transition?"  How much do you have to move and how far to your destination?
I can only relay my own experience. I made the first "official" move to FL in March of 2015. I found a house for rent rather cheap (on a 1.75 acre plot). It was a month-to-month lease. This, because still I had yet to sell my townhouse in NJ, although I was working toward that. I was also dealing with the eventual death of my Godmother and being her "Power of Atty" and, subsequently, the executor of her Estate.  That took me back and forth to/from Wash DC while dealing with that. Still, I got my townhouse in NJ sold in July, 2015. I was then able to start shopping for a place in FL which I found and  closed on  in Sept. 2015.  
For my first move (in March), I simply packed my vehicle with all my computers, active electronics, etc., and, of course, my "inventory..."  [emoji3]  and brought it all to FL, to my rental house (Landlord is former LEO, pro-2A very much - I had no problems), along with all the clothes I needed. I declared my FL residency and began that process of becoming a FL citizen.  The next major event was clearing the NJ townhouse of enough clutter to make it ready for sale) For that, I rented one of those PODS containers and packed what I could in it, That was about $3K including 3 months of storage.After the hosue was sold and I needed to clear out everything, I called a moving van to get rid of the rest of it. I also had some things stored in "storage lockers" locally in NJ as well as with a neighbor in my old 'hood.  The moving company charged me roughly $7000.00 to move the bulk of my belongings to FL. At the time, I still did not have my permanent housing in FL, so all of that property had to go into a larger storage locker in FL.  Both the moving van content and the PODS content were placed there.  Obviously, a lot cheaper to pay for the storage locker than have it stored by PODS. At this time I was also involved in cleaning out my Godmother's condo in DC and dealing with all her stuff as well, some of which also went into that storage locker. At least, at this point, all of my belongings were now in Fl.  
Once I bought my house in FL, it was then a matter of cleaning out the FL storage lockers as well as the rental house in which I had stayed.  For that, I simply used local U-Hall vans, and I had found some of those "Hire a helper" services to help me move and set up stuff in my new house. I did  have to do one "long distance" trip from my house to FL (via DC) as I was cleaning up the storage lockers I had rented in NJ.as well as dealing with the additional stuff from my Godmother's condo in DC which was undergoing the same same process.  So I had to find another storage locker (much closer to my new house - within 1 mile) that the "Estate" was paying for to store her stuff.  When the Estate was liquidated and the residual funds paid to the final beneficiaries, I kept that storage locker for a little while (was still dealing with 1700 sq ft. of stuff in an 1100 sq. ft. house).  But I also had to give that additional locker up as it was getting expensive. 
Anyway, that's what I did.  If I had to move again, I might do a few things differently.  I may have done PODS exclusively, but it depends on how quickly I can occupy the new premises, as well as how far I have to move. I think the moving company thing was way too expensive. But YMMV.
One caution I will say (and why it might be better to hire a moving co). You have to make sure that everything is very carefully packed.  Furniture that was assembled together "Ikea" style needs to be broken down into its pieces for moving. If you attempt to move it assembled, you run the risk of it being damaged with all the shaking and bumps and vibrations.  At least the movers I selected knew that, and did what they could to minimize damage. Still there was some.  Floor lamps should not rest on the floor, as the weight could cause them to be damaged. 

Just be carefull

Very good! I’ll be buying brand new with a fast closing. Not bringing a lot. Pro movers is a must. Back ain’t what it use to be.

I am in the Northern Shenandoah Valley in VA.  We have been here for two years and love it.  The only reason I didn't move further is that I need to be able to get to DC occasionally (over 2 1/2 hr commute each way).  The area I am in is rural and country.  It is great here but if I didn't have to be this close to DC I would be living in TN.  I like the eastern part of the state.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Hey! No politics!emoji37.png

Compliment or complaint?  :D

Very good! I’ll be buying brand new with a fast closing. Not bringing a lot. Pro movers is a must. Back ain’t what it use to be.

Just be aware of how they're billing you.  Many movers will bill either by the hour (if it's a local move). or by "cubic footage" if it's a long distance move,  be sure they're packing the pick up truck efficiently and not wasting space. They charge a lot extra if you go over the cubic footage estimate.

Anyway, best of luck to you

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I am in the Northern Shenandoah Valley in VA.  We have been here for two years and love it.  The only reason I didn't move further is that I need to be able to get to DC occasionally (over 2 1/2 hr commute each way).  The area I am in is rural and country.  It is great here but if I didn't have to be this close to DC I would be living in TN.  I like the eastern part of the state.

I loved going though there when I was doing all that moving.  I would take I-81 south from PA.  I used to stop off at the Throx Market Station in Winchester for food/fuel. They had decent crab cakes. :D   It would be  a straight 4 hours from that point to where i was living in NJ (i.e. I-81 to I-78 E). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

Really nice area, only place to ive seen a bob cat in the wild. So far. We had a blast hitting all the breweries, cider houses, and distilleries on Highway 151

@bhunted:

Are you also taking into account the reasonable proximity in relation to where your new home will be, of a decent health care hospital or medical center?  That is one of our important criteria, regardless of which State, for determining our eventual next home destination and an important item on our checklist for retirement.  As you noted earlier, we are not getting any younger....

AVB-AMG

Well I have been thinking of getting out of here for years.  Toward the end of January my wife finally said ok to the idea.  The next Tuesday when she got home from work she found me talking with a realtor.  Took about six weeks to do about two years worth of work to get the house ready to sell.  Closing is June 15th, and the drive out of the socialist people's republic of New Jermany Starts Saturday.  Heading west on I78 to I81 and on to Northern FL.  Going to St Johns county which is a suburb of Jacksonville.  Far enough north that you actually have seasons and of the 67 counties they have the number one schools.  Not that we need schools, but it makes for a better area.  We have rented a four bedroom three bath house with a fenced yard and pool - very few around that meet those requirements.  We will then look around and figure out what we want for a permanent home.  There are lots of new developments with nice houses, although not cheap, but you run into the HOA crap.  We may end up buying some land and building ourselves to avoid the HOA and have more land than the zero lot sizes they are building these days.

Got a 16' POD almost full already and in a couple of days the second 7' one is coming for the rest of the stuff.  Can't wait to leave this shit hole state.

Oh BTW what I am saving on property and income taxes fully pays the rent on the house down there.

• Like 5

[mention=5135]bhunted[/mention]:
Are you also taking into account the reasonable proximity in relation to where your new home will be, of a decent health care hospital or medical center?  That is one of our important criteria, regardless of which State, for determining our eventual next home destination and an important item on our checklist for retirement.  As you noted earlier, we are not getting any younger....
AVB-AMG

Yep! I have been driving out there at least once a year for decades. Family and friends are there. Definitely not burying ourselves in the woods although I’d love to if I could.

2 minutes ago, Howard said:

Well I have been thinking of getting out of here for years.  Toward the end of January my wife finally said ok to the idea.  The next Tuesday when she got home from work she found me talking with a realtor.  Took about six weeks to do about two years worth of work to get the house ready to sell.  Closing is June 15th, and the drive out of the socialist people's republic of New Jermany Starts Saturday.  Heading west on I78 to I81 and on to Northern FL.  Going to St Johns county which is a suburb of Jacksonville.  Far enough north that you actually have seasons and of the 67 counties they have the number one schools.  Not that we need schools, but it makes for a better area.  We have rented a four bedroom three bath house with a fenced yard and pool - very few around that meet those requirements.  We will then look around and figure out what we want for a permanent home.  There are lots of new developments with nice houses, although not cheap, but you run into the HOA crap.  We may end up buying some land and building ourselves to avoid the HOA and have more land than the zero lot sizes they are building these days.

Got a 16' POD almost full already and in a couple of days the second 7' one is coming for the rest of the stuff.  Can't wait to leave this shit hole state.

Oh BTW what I am saving on property and income taxes fully pays the rent on the house down there.

Excellent!  You know the full route, right?    i-78 W--> I-81 S --> I-77 S (just past Roanoke and through VA, NC and SC).  I used to stop off in Richburg, SC.  If you can, you might want to make a quick stop right as you cross the SC State Line from NC. There's a huge Cabela's right there on the State line. It's only 3 years old.

Furthermore, I-77S (down to Columbia) ---> I-26 E -->  back onto i-95 S). If you want a good place to stop for fuel and lunch in SC, after you get back onto I-95, stop off in Walterboro (Ex. 57 - SC highway 64 E). Proceed on SC 64 E, for a mile or so to Robertson Blvd.  Left onto Robertson Blvd, and the follow Robertson Blvd across US 15/501.  After you cross, look for "Dukes BBQ" on the left. The best BBQ around the area and it's served Buffet Style ~$12,00, all you can eat. Pulled Pork, Fried chicken, Ribs, and excellent southern sides.  But be careful when you travel there. It's closed on Mon-Tues. but open Wed - Sun.  If you go through on Sun, get there before 11am, because it will fill up quickly with the Sunday brunchers that are just coming out of Church. Also, they close early on Sun. (at 2pm). They're open until 9p on all the other days they're open.

Also, if you have the choice of stopping for fuel in NC vs SC, pick SC.   Cheaper fuel/taxes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howard said:

Congratulations on your move. The socialist people's republic of New Jermany gave me a good laugh. I've talked to people from Jacksonville. It sounds like a much better place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

Really nice area, only place to ive seen a bob cat in the wild. So far. We had a blast hitting all the breweries, cider houses, and distilleries on Highway 151

The while area is filled with wineries and microbreweries.  A new one just opened in Front Royal across the parking lot from my office.  I had lunch there today with my wife. Great food and beer.  I have all sorts of wildlife on my property: bears, deer, turkey.  I am a county resident so I don't pay any town taxes.  My property taxes are 1200/yr for a decent amount of land on the Shenandoah river.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JC_68Westy said:

The while area is filled with wineries and microbreweries.  A new one just opened in Front Royal across the parking lot from my office.  I had lunch there today with my wife. Great food and beer.  I have all sorts of wildlife on my property: bears, deer, turkey.  I am a county resident so I don't pay any town taxes.  My property taxes are 1200/yr for a decent amount of land on the Shenandoah river.

More or less the same up here but allot more snow, 10' annually on average in the valley. I'm a snowboader so thats a bonus! I pay 1900 a year for property tax on a 2 home private road within walking distance to a ski resort and great schools. I paid 12,000 in NJ! 3 brewerys in town 20 mins away and Mt.Washington is 1/2 hour from my house and I get to see it every day. White mountian state park is 3/4 miles from my house. To top it off it took me 2.5 days from submitting my resume to landing a job and had 4 other offers, thanks in part to @Mrs. Peel and her kickass resume that she wrote for me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Excellent!  You know the full route, right?    i-78 W--> I-81 S --> I-77 S (just past Roanoke and through VA, NC and SC).  I used to stop off in Richburg, SC.  If you can, you might want to make a quick stop right as you cross the SC State Line from NC. There's a huge Cabela's right there on the State line. It's only 3 years old.

Furthermore, I-77S (down to Columbia) ---> I-26 E -->  back onto i-95 S). If you want a good place to stop for fuel and lunch in SC, after you get back onto I-95, stop off in Walterboro (Ex. 57 - SC highway 64 E). Proceed on SC 64 E, for a mile or so to Robertson Blvd.  Left onto Robertson Blvd, and the follow Robertson Blvd across US 15/501.  After you cross, look for "Dukes BBQ" on the left. The best BBQ around the area and it's served Buffet Style ~$12,00, all you can eat. Pulled Pork, Fried chicken, Ribs, and excellent southern sides.  But be careful when you travel there. It's closed on Mon-Tues. but open Wed - Sun.  If you go through on Sun, get there before 11am, because it will fill up quickly with the Sunday brunchers that are just coming out of Church. Also, they close early on Sun. (at 2pm). They're open until 9p on all the other days they're open.

Also, if you have the choice of stopping for fuel in NC vs SC, pick SC.   Cheaper fuel/taxes.

Thanks, yes familiar with the route as that is the way we went when our daughter lived in Charlotte.  Don't know about stopping and eats as we will be driving separate cars with one Husky in one and two Huskies in the other.  Will be an interesting journey. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Howard said:

Howard.  I couldnt be more happy for you.  Well miss you.  Youve turned out to be a real competitor.  When im down your way. 5 years and counting.  Ill look you up.  Be well.   Congrats. 

• Like 3

threads like this anger me to no end as I'm trapped here for the forseeable future.

forget the wife and kid for the moment... I need to be about an hour from my mom as she's getting up there in years, and I can't leave her.

This chart maybe handy for some. As far as I am concerned any state on the right side is no go. Especially Florida. Tennessee and Indiana are two states I figured were safe and viable. I am leaning for permanent move to Eastern Tennessee but I must make a stop in Eastern PA first.

How state gun laws stack up

Each state’s average ranking from least strict (1) to most strict (50), based on the Cato Institute’s freedom ranking and the number of “key” gun laws passed, according to Everytown. The third row is the average.

These charts were done Oct 2017 so prior to recent mass shootings and laws passed and prior to 2017 elections. Vermont and Florida would certainly rank lower. As would Virginia. Texas, PA, and NC being on the right shows they are trending to the dark side. Texas I believe is due to local ordinances and influx of illegals and Californians.

f9a5fe686c3e730c387edeaba6b6d508.png

The Cato Institute’s ranking is based on which of 25 selected gun-control laws each state has passed. Everytown tracks 67 such laws in every state, and the ranking shown here is derived from their data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

yaknow? i was looking at some of those online property sellers.......looking in west va and va. seems undeveloped property in west va is relatively cheap....in va, relatively over-priced.

yaknow? i was looking at some of those online property sellers.......looking in west va and va. seems undeveloped property in west va is relatively cheap....in va, relatively over-priced.

WV is cheap as spit but a lot of the property comes with many pitfalls. I have a collector friend who goes by Zeebill on the forums. He grew up in Rutherford, moved to South Jersey in High School, then to Delaware, and after the kids were grown he got divorced and went to WV. Ex is still in Delaware. Either way he was telling me how the state had to pump millions of cubic yards of concrete under houses to close the old mine tunnels and it didn’t work so they pumped more and it may not work again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk