bhunted

Putting together an exit game plan.

There are a few things missing in your original requirements.

Climate  Hot/Cold   Wet/Arid

Proximity to Ocean

Type of terrain Hill, flats, mountains, lowland, swamp

type of foliage, deciduous, fir, scrub, etc.

Last month spent a week in Southern Kentucky and Tennessee.    It looked just like here(Vernon Area), but was a lot hotter.

Personally, I want to move out west.  I've lived within 30 miles of the same latitude line my entire life, even though I've lived in Illinois, Ohio and NJ.     I think I'd like to live in Alaska as well, maybe Wasilla.   Still civilized but you can get to the end of the road very quickly.

I didn't like southern Wyoming, but Northern Wyoming was awesome as was Montana.

I loved Northern Arizona, southern was too hot.

I loved the Carson City area maybe even outskirts of Reno.  Reno itself sucks.

I didn't like Southern Idaho, but Northern Idaho could work.

I've never been to the Dakatos but plan on it soon.

Western North Carolina could work, outside of Ashville.

Central WV is decent, the area that contacts with Ohio is depressed and frankly depressing to be around.  It just looks run down.

I can't go back to Ohio to live it would put me in bad move.  You could however go to the Coshocton/Warsaw/Zanesville area.  Everything on your list.  My mother's 10 acre property went for 185k.  $1200 annual taxes.  High speed internet.  

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

Personally, I want to move out west.  I've lived within 30 miles of the same latitude line my entire life, even though I've lived in Illinois, Ohio and NJ.     I think I'd like to live in Alaska as well, maybe Wasilla.   Still civilized but you can get to the end of the road very quickly.

I picked Florida for a number of different reasons.  In re: weather, I much prefer to get as far away as I can from the cold and the snow, in particular.  Hated shoveling it, driving in it (and the ice), and dealing with it. So glad I don't have to, now.  If weather isn't a concern for you, then westward might be the way to go (Kansas, Wyoming, etc.) But be sure you can find work there if you need to.

As for Alaska, you might also consider if you are affected, personally by the disparity of day vs. night, especially during the extreme parts of the season (summer and winter solstice).  There's a reason why Anchorage has something like 3 shrinks per capita living there. 

17 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

I picked Florida for a number of different reasons.  In re: weather, I much prefer to get as far away as I can from the cold and the snow, in particular.  Hated shoveling it, driving in it (and the ice), and dealing with it. So glad I don't have to, now.  If weather isn't a concern for you, then westward might be the way to go (Kansas, Wyoming, etc.) But be sure you can find work there if you need to.

As for Alaska, you might also consider if you are affected, personally by the disparity of day vs. night, especially during the extreme parts of the season (summer and winter solstice).  There's a reason why Anchorage has something like 3 shrinks per capita living there. 

Frankly, I loved it when I was at Denali in July.   The sun set at 4am for about 15 minutes.    I don't and have never had any issues with sleeping in broad daylight.

I love extreme weather.  It narrows your focus.    All day pissing rain is annoying.   Raging blizzard?  Awesome.

I could do Florida.  My sister and mother live there.  I also have friends there.   Extreme heat doesn't bother me.  I spent months in Honduras.  You just spend your time in AC or water.  Shrug.

I prefer mountains, but big ones.   More than the Appalachian's can offer.   I was at 6644 feet in the Great Smoky Mountains park a month ago and it doesn't compare to the grand Tetons.    Here's a quick 360 video walking up to the observation platform. 

11 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Frankly, I loved it when I was at Denali in July.   The sun set at 4am for about 15 minutes.    I don't and have never had any issues with sleeping in broad daylight.

That's the good part. The question being, can you deal with the opposite end of that (15 min. of sunlight during the winter)???

I love extreme weather.  It narrows your focus.    All day pissing rain is annoying.   Raging blizzard?  Awesome.

God Bless, then.  I could not.  Not unless I had a tractor that could do all the snow blowing, etc.  But I'd also need someone to drive for me during the winter, etc.   Ah well.

I could do Florida.  My sister and mother live there.  I also have friends there.   Extreme heat doesn't bother me.  I spent months in Honduras.  You just spend your time in AC or water.  Shrug.

Or, underwater, as I do.  But yeah, I'm almost always inside, unless I'm mowing the lawn or washing the car.

I prefer mountains, but big ones.

Fair enough. Mountainous areas are a very nice place to visit, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. Unless I could live on top of one and had easy access to the valley areas. But it really depends. I did like the mountains in Arizona.

Fair enough. Mountainous areas are a very nice place to visit, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. Unless I could live on top of one and had easy access to the valley areas. But it really depends. I did like the mountains in Arizona.

Give me the mountains over the ocean any day. Only thing I would miss is lack of fresh seafood. I love the Smokey Mountains haven’t been to Mountains out West except in Arizona. Though I have been watching, listening and reading about Missing 411 and I am not exactly in a rush to visit the National Parks out West.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, capt14k said:

Give me the mountains over the ocean any day. Only thing I would miss is lack of fresh seafood. I love the Smokey Mountains haven’t been to Mountains out West except in Arizona. Though I have been watching, listening and reading about Missing 411 and I am not exactly in a rush to visit the National Parks out West.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon and some of the others are quite busy.   You have to try very to get away from people.

Denali though.  Greatest place on Earth I've been to.   I just loved it there.   You go 5 minutes down a trail and you're alone.  You can then keep on going and never see anyone.   It's magical as far as I'm concerned.

10 hours ago, Malsua said:

I prefer mountains, but big ones.   More than the Appalachian's can offer.   I was at 6644 feet in the Great Smoky Mountains park a month ago and it doesn't compare to the grand Tetons.    Here's a quick 360 video walking up to the observation platform. 

Been to both, the Dome is awesome. love the mountains. Also Zion 

Some suggestions:

• Purge now.  Get down to the essentials whether it's guns, cookware, tools or whatever.  You'll be happier in the end.
  • If you're going to shoot on your property, look for a property that backs into a mountain, preserve, or something.  Nothing like a natural backstop.  Don't be one of those guys...
  • Account for proximity to hospitals, doctors, the closest Waffle House, etc.
  • Scan the area for proximity to trailer parks.  There's a reason why the nicer communities in the South tend to be gated.  The meth epidemic in the South is no joke.

My ex-FIL built his dream log cabin in Spencer, TN.  The only store in town was a Dollar General.  For any kind of chain restaurant meal or Wal-Mart/Home Depot run, he had to drive 30-40 miles or about an hour to get that.  There were a couple trailer parks nearby.  The cabin was broken into during construction and they stole all his tools.  They tried a B&E through the front door when he was home on a Saturday night watching TV.  He scared them off with a couple .357 shots fired into the air out of a second floor window.  He ended up moving to St. John's County, FL in a community with HOA.

Just do your due diligence about what's what wherever you move to.

• Like 2