Sign in to follow this  
fslater

S2465 Clarification

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than  myself can shed some light on the issue. 1) Where they talk about parts capable of building, are they referring to unsterilized, unfinished receiver castings or all gun parts (barrels, stocks, triggers, handguards, sights ect)? 2) Would / How would this effect a situation where someone who prior to this law taking effect finished an 80% lower in another state and brought it into NJ as a firearm they legally owned? As far as I can see previously there was nothing illegal about this. Does this new law have any retro provision that would now make that firearm illegal?

IIm not a lawyer, but the way the statute reads, the part is illegal prior to manufacturing. 

My guess is it would only apply to the part of the firearm normally serialized, so the receiver. 

It's anyone's guess but a simple block of aluminum could fall under this stupid written law. 

"IIm not a lawyer, but the way the statute reads, the part is illegal prior to manufacturing." 

As I said... in the scenario I'm implying, the lower was obtained and made legally outside NJ. I've seen nothing in past or even S2465 that would be illegal about the person who made this firearm legally in another state, from bringing it to and keeping it in your NJ home. Is this the case or did I miss something?

Also re: only the 80% being banned by S2465 or all the other bits and pieces? Anybody got the definate answer to that?

"IIm not a lawyer, but the way the statute reads, the part is illegal prior to manufacturing." 

As I said... in the scenario I'm implying, the lower was obtained and made legally outside NJ. I've seen nothing in past or even S2465 that would be illegal about the person who made this firearm legally in another state, from bringing it to and keeping it in your NJ home. Is this the case or did I miss something?
Also re: only the 80% being banned by S2465 or all the other bits and pieces? Anybody got the definate answer to that?

I don’t see where anything is any different. You just can’t sell it to someone but you can still buy and assemble out of state and bring back. Also I don’t believe this passed both houses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think it passed both houses yet either...…. But with the bunch in Trenton only a fool would have doubts its not a shoe in. I'm just hoping with murphy and company down there they'll take enough rope to hang them selves.  

I don't think it passed both houses yet either...…. But with the bunch in Trenton only a fool would have doubts its not a shoe in. I'm just hoping with murphy and company down there they'll take enough rope to hang them selves.  

There are a bunch of laws proposed each year that never get out of committee even though they would easily pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 6/9/2018 at 0:04 PM, fslater said:

Myself, and anyone else, can only tell you want the bill says. 

Like I said, the language speaks to parts not yet manufactured, and those parts normally serialized and recorded by an FFL.

If it's a fully manufactured receiver then I don't see how the bill applies, if its a part that is not serialized and recorded by an FFL normally, then it doesn't apply.